Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 10, 2020, 05:06   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The multiplier is for how fast the player is moving; it converts from damage per attack action to damage per some set amount of in-game time (specifically 10 game turns). Think of it as the Angband equivalent of "damage per second".
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 05:19   #12
eastwind
Scout

eastwind is on a distinguished road
So how long is a 'round'? Isn't that a constant amount of time?

As a player I have understood, just reading the inspect output, that the player's speed is already boiled into the reported average damage per round.

You hit the key to attack, you get however many 'you hit the icky thing' messages depending on how many attacks you get per round, and that's one round. The monster then gets however many attacks per round it gets. Average damage per round as reported by 'inspect' is taking into account all those attacks, the probability of each one hitting, and the average damage per attack that hits.

Now that's from reading the output and applying logic. If the output should say 'damage/blow' instead of 'damage/round' then your math is right and the text is wrong.

If 'round' is not a fixed amount of time, then what is it, and why is damage being reported in terms of rounds?

If it meant average damage/attack, why would 'inspect' say 'round' and not 'attack'?
eastwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 05:41   #13
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
A round means one round of attacks - in this case, one flurry of 5 blows - which will (in melee) always take exactly one player turn. So if you have 5 blows/round, 300 damage/round, that's 60 damage per blow (and 300 damage per player turn because one round of attacks equals one turn).

Speed, though, means you get a turn more often. So if you only did 150 damage/round, but had 2x the speed, that would mean you get the same total effective damage output over time; you need to attack twice as often, but you are twice as fast so that's something you can actually do. Of course, you don't need to spend all those turns attacking - you can spend them positioning, quaffing healing, teleporting, etc.; so in that situation speed always wins.

As for whether a "round" is a fixed amount of game time regardless of your speed... that's a question that actually doesn't have one good and clear answer because of how time works in the game. Technically, a round of attacks consumes no time at all; what it consumes is a fixed amount of energy, and you then need to spend some speed-dependent amount of time recovering that energy.

Last edited by Sideways; January 10, 2020 at 05:58.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 06:33   #14
eastwind
Scout

eastwind is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Speed, though, means you get a turn more often.
Ah, that was, I think, the part I was missing. Thanks, that's much clearer.
eastwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 09:31   #15
DavidMedley
Swordsman

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Hmm I had assumed that the "damage/round" reported on weapon inspection takes speed into account, but now I see that's not the case. So I guess it's just a round of all of your blows.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2020, 10:09   #16
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
it would be nice if Nick added the speed bonus into the weapon sheet.
it would be nice if he did that for 4.1.3
It would be nice if i found a million dollars.