I just avoided the lich, but my character somehow died short time after

https://pasteboard.co/IPOFn6A.jpg

I named him Thanos because he was big and strong like Thanos
Angrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2020, 20:17   #22
Angrist
Adept

Angrist is on a distinguished road
Maybe I should try rogue... To avoid fighting and just collect cool stuff from the depths
Old January 13, 2020, 20:35   #23
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Yeah Storm Giants are tough for characters that are used to one-shotting anything with high damage potential and outlasting anything with high HP, like warriors tend to be. Storm Giants do a lot of damage and are tough to kill, and are some of the first ones with that property. Everyone else detects them and bugs out, but warriors have a tougher time.

Playing with high stealth is helpful because (IMO) it teaches good habits. I recommend trying High-elf Rogue (if you want something stealthy but still reasonably durable and capable of combat) or Hobbit Mage (not having enough HP to survive a single round of melee teaches great habits like casting phase when the monster is two tiles away and reading a scroll if they are next to you, and not fighting anything that can do damage at a distance). Hobbit Rogue is very funny but kinda overkill on the stealth I think.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2020, 20:55   #24
Angrist
Adept

So I will try High-Elf Rogue
Old January 13, 2020, 20:55   #25
Angrist
Adept

Also I'll try 4.2 for the first time
Old January 13, 2020, 21:01   #26
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Lich doesn't have much HP, so you can kill it easily with archery. (It drains DEX and charges.) Higher liches have lots of HP and just aren't worth the side effects.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2020, 22:24   #27
Adam
Adept

Adam is on a distinguished road
Two more notes:
- You had troubble with inventory slots. If you are carrying both food and satisfy hunger scrolls, food can be dropped
- You were at -2 speed which is not nice (that means monsters will move and attack faster than you so can be easily double-moved - speed is very important in Angband). Those staves each weigh 5 pounds so I would not carry a stack of 7 ID staves if possible but leave most of them at home. If you just carry 2 of them, you can drop them when you used up all charges.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2020, 23:54   #28
Angrist
Adept

So now I have a High Elf rogue lvl 16. Fighting monsters is not so fun anymore and I'm afraid to rely on stealth (stealth is only 'Very good'). Found some rings but cannot identify them. But I think they are rings of resist fire/cold and protection. Bought a Whip of *Slay Undead* and Staff of teleportation. One time my magic book was stolen :rofl: . Noticed that in 4.2.0 rogue can steal from monsters. Magic is very useful, detect monsters, objects, stairs. But I don't understand what to do. Character seems too fragile, stealth seems not very good. And in 4.2.0, looks like you cannot sell anything for profit. At least in my case everything is sold for just 0 gold.
Also I don't understand at which depth to play. Have seen a streak of 'Omens of death' at level 15, lol.
Old January 13, 2020, 23:56   #29
Angrist
Adept

Also it seems that it is more comfortable to play on a mobile phone, than on a PC, lol.
Old January 14, 2020, 00:42   #30
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You need to actively look for monsters worth killing, then hunt them down without waking up ones you don't want to face. Use archery. Use devices--recharge scrolls are helpful here. Fizzix did a video tutorial on kobold rogue 7 years ago. Starting here is about right:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9xw1n23xLm0&t=180

You need to ride detection hard, and run away a lot. Note that he has really lousy damage, but the variant is significantly easier than 4.2
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
half-troll, hulk, troll