AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old January 19, 2016, 02:18   #121
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro View Post
I saw the change to resistances on breaths so I tried to take up demigod evasion to be able to better handle hounds and dragons in the mid-game. But the breaths are still having their effects! From a logical standpoint I don't get how I'm dodging these breaths and then my flasks are getting broken from earth hound shards, or teleported from nexus breath, etc. Is that a bug?
Evasion is just a straight 5-10% damage reduction from every breath. It doesn't actually dodge breaths.
Old January 19, 2016, 02:20   #122
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Has anyone noticed weirdness around turns passing when taking screenshots?

There is a definite problem with ?Recharging. Now that it asks you for a source device, if you pick a target, go to the 'pick source' menu, and then hit esc, you definitely lose energy (I lose an entire turn every time I do this.)
Old January 19, 2016, 09:21   #123
Regalia
Apprentice

Regalia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Evasion is just a straight 5-10% damage reduction from every breath. It doesn't actually dodge breaths.
I think (hope ) it's 10-20%.

Quote:
Base hp feels so low in comparison to damage taken. It's fine if there are 1-2 mobs but as soon as a pack of anything attacks you then you need to teleport away.
That is typically the case, yes. Fighting multiple breathers (or anything really) is something you generally want to avoid. Set your hitpoint warning high and ctrl+arrow at a chokepoint.

Quote:
And well, I do mean that for the mid-tier monsters that start showing up in areas level 40+ and do 50 dmg, or more, a hit/breath/spell/etc.
Do you have resistances you need? Past dl40 you'd better have resistances to whatever you're fighting (elements+poison+nether are an absolute must imho). If you don't, you should farm until you do.

Quote:
Potions of critical healing become useless way too fast
They are still good for removing some statuses. Staves of cure wounds heal for 50 and are pretty common at dl40. Pcb4 also has summoning staves which are cheese up until dl40. From what I can fathom, you lack speed. With high speed you can run away behind a corner and heal up even with ccws.

Do you have proper monster detection? Bind detect monsters to a single key and use it all the time. Dig, make the dungeon layout work to your advantage. Pull stronger monsters one by one (again, detection).

Finally, if you detect something too strong (this takes a bit of monster knowledge sadly), don't fight it. Move elsewhere, recall out...
Regalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016, 12:39   #124
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly will become famous soon enough
Didn't gain a stat at lvl 5 on a chaos-warrior when my patron destructed nearby enemies, immediately putting me to lvl 6. Here's the message log (apologies for length):

http://angband.oook.cz/screen-show.php?id=3382&ok
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016, 15:26   #125
Destro
Rookie

Destro is on a distinguished road
Thanks all for the responses. I see you are a recent winner on the ladder Regalia so I appreciate your thoroughness.

Evasion only reduces breath damage? That sucks. I've caught so many random mechanics in the source code but this is just something I never would have thought to check this based on the wording. I did notice I was still taking damage from higher breaths but I thought maybe it was just bugged somehow.

I'm going to continue working on strategies and such. I had a dumb death on my monk but I think I can make this work. I had speed, ac, but I was lacking a few high-resists and wanted some more stat pots which was why I continued doing lonely mountain runs. With potions of speed I was definitely going 20+ but I don't remember the exact. My current half-titan monk has way more hp than my last monk so I'm feeling good about this run. I want to at least beat the game once and I think I'm getting closer to that. I think maybe I can make mage work once I hit level 25 since I've read good things about eat magic. If eat magic isn't terrible then I can spam higher mana cost spells so that would be nice.

I've been wondering for a while. The turncounts on the leaderboard are so low. Is it bugged, removing 3 0's, excluding rest, or something? My characters are in the millions of turns generally as it shows when I die. Winning the game in less than 100k turns turns seems impossible to me but maybe it's just a different in game knowledge.
Destro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016, 19:31   #126
Rydel
Apprentice

Rydel is on a distinguished road
Don't worry about turncount unless you're in a competition.

The record time for completing the original Super Mario Bros is under 5 minutes. I wouldn't expect times even remotely close to that from someone who hasn't beaten the game before. The same goes for Angband.

Turn count is going to be heavily influenced by what class you play, how fast you dive, how familiar you are with certain aspects of the game, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I'm trying to think of an analogy, and the best I can come up with is Angband is like fishing for sharks, and Sil is like hunting a bear with a pocket knife and a pair of chopsticks. It's not great. -Nick
Rydel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016, 19:38   #127
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly will become famous soon enough
Plus for speed running poscheng, look at play time not turn count. Turn count in poscheng is all about optimizing time spent in the wilderness. The path you walk between towns, the order of dungeons etc. etc. I constantly die in poscheng so worry less about competive speed & more about playing to a fun rate rather than a grindy rate. It's all very relative.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016, 20:48   #128
Regalia
Apprentice

Regalia is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thanks all for the responses. I see you are a recent winner on the ladder Regalia so I appreciate your thoroughness.
Not recent enough (not pcb4). Still, if you want more input, you should probably post on the ladder.

Quote:
I've been wondering for a while. The turncounts on the leaderboard are so low. Is it bugged, removing 3 0's, excluding rest, or something? My characters are in the millions of turns generally as it shows when I die. Winning the game in less than 100k turns turns seems impossible to me but maybe it's just a different in game knowledge.
This and that are different turns.
http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showpos...1&postcount=23
Regalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016, 23:41   #129
GenericPseudonym
Apprentice

GenericPseudonym is on a distinguished road
A minor bug report:

Chaos Warriors are coded to get a "rod of chaos bolt" as the reward for the Logrus Master quest, but no such rod exists.

When I turned in the quest the game complained and then gave me a rod of illumination instead.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hmmm.PNG
Views:	96
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	1348
GenericPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2016, 11:52   #130
poschengbandplayer
Apprentice

poschengbandplayer is on a distinguished road
Hello!

How much fame do I need to reforge an artifact to a power dragon scale armour?
Funny note:I had to use a scroll of mundanity on bladeturner PDSM.It was too heavy for my blood mage (60) to wear.its mundane form is 20.
poschengbandplayer is offline   Reply With Quote