Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old June 24, 2008, 08:33   #1
Inquisitivephysicsguy
Scout

Inquisitivephysicsguy is on a distinguished road
Surviving w/ Mid-lvl Priests

Yep, this is my first serious Priest *ever*. I've had no problem playing this dwarven priest in the beginning... as he's now lvl 22 exploring dlvl 14 w/ free action, acid and ice resists (I treated him like a mage... paranoid and careful).

Since I just ascended with my mage (how do I post my char's profile?) I've decided to try and use a Priest. Priests are a different animal from a mage... their prayers don't seem to be as good at divination as mage's spells (It's driving me nuts that I can't know exactly what's happening around me at all times like I can as a mage). In terms of dmg, they have mages beat in several circumstances (wherever OOD is good/can actually kill things with their maces/a good crossbow seems fairly lethal).

I have the low-lvl priest figured out I think... I think I can see the potential Gods/Goddesses that can be unlocked from high lvl priests... I just can't see a good way to operate a mid-lvl priest.

Does anyone have any recommendations for how to use a mid lvl priest? What types of weapons, for instance, should a priest use? My current priest is using a war hammer of slay undead (3d3) (+8,+7). What are good utility items to keep on hand in stock? Should I rely mostly on psuedo-ID to identify armor and weapons?

I think that Priests can be just as effective and deadly in their own way as Mages are... if one knows how to use them well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Inquisitivephysicsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2008, 20:37   #2
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitivephysicsguy View Post
Since I just ascended with my mage
<chuckle> I can tell you've played Nethack. You don't ascend in Angband. I guess you could ascend at any time by going up a level or reading WoR in the dungeon, but it is not a term for winning here.

Quote:
(how do I post my char's profile?)
Make a dump (hopefully you already have made a dump or else still have the game saved from after killing Morgoth), then click the ladder tab at the top of any page on oook, then click "post my dump" (or something to that effect).
You make a dump by pressing "f" on the (C)haracter screen.

Quote:
I think I can see the potential Gods/Goddesses that can be unlocked from high lvl priests...
What gods and godesses? There are no gods and godesses in Angband, only priests. Come to think of it, that is kindof odd, but hey, it's fantasy.
Well, I guess there are supossedly are gods and godesses for the priests and paladins to pray to, but the game avoids actually mentioning them.

There's obviously more than one god to pray to because the priest has the evil flag, but the knight templar does not. (And the knight templar is a reference to a real order of knights who worshipped the Christian God, but then they were (probably falsely) accused of worshiping Baphomet, who was definetly not a minotaur.. (just so you know my source for that, I read it in wikipedia which of course is not always reliable))

Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for how to use a mid lvl priest? What types of weapons, for instance, should a priest use? My current priest is using a war hammer of slay undead (3d3) (+8,+7). What are good utility items to keep on hand in stock?
It'd probably be better to find an ego whip or a blessed edged weapon which you can get more attacks with, and use one of the blessing prayers when you melee anything which isn't wimpy. Use OOD a lot. good utility items are pretty much the same for every class: ?WoR, !CCW, ?Phase Door.. Rods of light are nice. A rod of detection is something you'd really like to find about now, that would help with your lack of divination spells.

I should probably tell that I've never won the game, and so may not be the best one to take advice from. And since you have won the game, I might be telling you stuff you already know. <shrug>

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2008, 22:19   #3
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Does anyone have any recommendations for how to use a mid lvl priest? What types of weapons, for instance, should a priest use? My current priest is using a war hammer of slay undead (3d3) (+8,+7).
Your (a) slot should be used for stats, resistances, etc. I'd rather go weaponless than waste weight on that weapon. Kill with a bow and orbs. Portal away from what you cannot kill comfortably. If you don't like a level, leave it rather than continuing to portal.

Rods and wands can be useful.

Use orb on items, then wield, and when something in pack pseudos inscribe anything worn that does not pseudo as avg.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2008, 08:41   #4
Inquisitivephysicsguy
Scout

Yeah, I've played nethack, but I've never even come close to beating that...
if you could provide some advice on that as well then I would appreciate it greatly.

By Gods/Goddesses I meant what your priest can become if you can keep them alive long enough to have a few good books. Priests have the potential to be *exceptionally* powerful. OOD for instance, never really loses it's effectiveness.

Great advice, btw, I've traded in my War Hammer for a spear of *slay* evil. This spear is +1 to Wis. I still haven't been lucky enough to find a rod of detection (now that the RNG is putting non-evil, highly dangerous groups of monsters on the lvl's [Zephyr Hounds] it's becoming crucial that I find a rod of detection, I shudder to think of running into a group of out of depth g****t* hounds )

I'm also considering posting a thread on how to survive as a mage at all dungeon lvls... since many people seem to have difficulty with it (It took me two years of serious play to figure it out.)
But, since no one is specifically asking for this advice, it might be presumptive of me to offer it (and some of the advice would be spoilerish). What do you folks think? Should I post this thread?
Old June 30, 2008, 02:31   #5
Inquisitivephysicsguy
Scout

I have just found 2 rods of detection! Now my Priest can finally see everything that's happening around him like a mage would!! The only problem I can see now is that I have no reliable sources of temporary +10 speed boost and resistance...
should I just try and stock up on as many staves of speed/speed potions as possible? I don't even know where to begin for temporary lightning and cold resistance.

Any suggestions?
Old June 30, 2008, 03:54   #6
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have just found 2 rods of detection! Now my Priest can finally see everything that's happening around him like a mage would!! The only problem I can see now is that I have no reliable sources of temporary +10 speed boost and resistance...
should I just try and stock up on as many staves of speed/speed potions as possible? I don't even know where to begin for temporary lightning and cold resistance.Any suggestions?
The appropriately named potion will cover temporary cold resistance, should the Priest spell not be enough.

I'm not that familiar with playstyles that actually need temporary speed before DL40, but the Black Market stocks stacks of Speed potions every once in a while. I generally find Staves of Speed to be cashflow items before Fire Immunity (very late-game).
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2008, 11:53   #7
Garrie
Adept

Garrie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, I've played nethack, but I've never even come close to beating that...
if you could provide some advice on that as well then I would appreciate it greatly.
I'm also considering posting a thread on how to survive as a mage at all dungeon lvls... since many people seem to have difficulty with it (It took me two years of serious play to figure it out.)
But, since no one is specifically asking for this advice, it might be presumptive of me to offer it (and some of the advice would be spoilerish). What do you folks think? Should I post this thread?
Hey, you've won. Your advice can't be worse than anyone elses around here! Even better say how the game could be changed to help your next mage win even more like a fantasy mage and less like a "Conan who can cast spells". (I mean really, mages in heavy armour... wieleding the glaive of pain or somesuch... )
Old June 30, 2008, 16:19   #8
Marble Dice
Swordsman

Marble Dice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The only problem I can see now is that I have no reliable sources of temporary +10 speed boost and resistance...
I think the only temporary speed in the game is the potion, the staff, the rod, the mage spell, and the activations on the mace 'Taratol', the hard leather boots of Feanor, and the ring of Tulkas.

As has been pointed out for temporary rfire and rcold, there's the potions and a priest spell in book two that does both. Temporary relec, racid, and rpois are more difficult: other than the mage spell, the only source I know of is the activation on the cloak 'Colluin'.
Marble Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2008, 01:13   #9
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
should I just try and stock up on as many staves of speed/speed potions as possible? I don't even know where to begin for temporary lightning and cold resistance.

Any suggestions?

Play DaJAngband! DaJAngband priests get both haste and resistance prayers in the Holy Infusions book, and prayer of detection in a later book. They do not get elemental brand or probing, neither of which is very useful anyway. They also don't get teleport self or teleport level, but portal is usually just as good as teleport self, and they do still get alter reality which has almost the same effect as teleport level.

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2008, 04:24   #10
Inquisitivephysicsguy
Scout

I suppose that I shall try to find 'colluin' in that case...
Picking up every cloak that I can possibly find...
Oi! What a tall order....

Honestly, I have no qualms about the way any of the character classes are designed in Angband, all barriers are designed to be understood then manipulated until they are no longer barriers anymore. However, if you would like me to try out your DaJAngband then I'll try it (if it's available for the Mac that is.)

Thank you for all the advice, it will be very helpful for my Priests survival. I'll just have to avoid any of the dangerous breathers for the time being.