Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old February 22, 2018, 00:23   #281
Grotug
Knight

Grotug is on a distinguished road
I'm currently having an aMaging run. First time I've played a mage beyond CL20. The run has been ridiculous in giving me key finds. It took a little while to really get going, but then I was being flooded by +5 CON and +5 INT randarts.

When I found a helm of pBlind and Telepathy I was pretty damn stoked as that is a rare power combo to be found in a helmet. When I found another artifact with the same abilities plus +5 INT I nearly fell out of my chair. Later I found <+13>, <+5> sandals with pConf that pretty much sealed the deal. That's +5 to INT on the fastest footwear I've ever found in this game with a key ability to boot!

I've been ready to take on the bosses for awhile now but I'm trying to find some staves of healing and another staff of the magi or two. Oddly, my sole magi staff for the whole game won't backfire. I've recharged it at least 30 times. My wands of drain life backfire regularly, and the first time I recharged a staff of Holiness it backfired. Yet my staff of the magi has seen me through just about every deep unique in the game. There are very few uniques left now.

I have all immunities, all resistances except light and stunning, ALL sustains and 211AC (no robe of permanence needed), and my INT and CON are at *** and STR at 190 and DEX at 200. I only have 848hp but very few things can do 500 or more damage to me. Alas, I don't have feather falling.

I melee GWMCs without runes of protection. I just shield up and melee them for awhile until they die.

I may have to replay this randart set as a ranger, or some other combos. Just so overpowered. There was a helm of extra shots I found early. I'll post a chardump if anyone is interested to see this overwpoered @.

Oh, and my base speed is +27.
Also, lava is handy permanent ; against Undead seeing as I am immune.

Last edited by Grotug; February 22, 2018 at 00:48.
Grotug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018, 17:49   #282
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
i think i died 10 times in a row now. once with a CL40 ranger. i'm just too stupid for this game.
Old February 23, 2018, 19:08   #283
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
I think angband should let you win on roughly 1/100 characters, 1/25 for experienced players. Dying 10 times in a row would feel to me like perfectly normal game balance - I don't know how many O characters I've played, and I've only won once. The premise of angband for me has always been that permadeath is there to make your deaths interesting and meaningful, so the deaths aren't that bad.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018, 21:29   #284
Sky
Veteran

and now to a veteran in town.
Old February 23, 2018, 22:13   #285
Grotug
Knight

I probably win about 1 in 20 games, but I don't know I might win more often. I definitely have lots of games where I die before CL10. Once I reach 700hp or so it's rare I lose. For me the end game is too easy/less interesting than the rest of the game. In my recent mage win I just made a diagonal corridor and put a bunch of ; in it and then hockey sticked Sauron with book 9 before he ever saw me. The M fight was more interesting since you can't do that, but it was still pretty easy. I think the hardest part of the game for me generally is the DL40s when the danger level goes up significantly from the DL30s. Ancient dragons, for example, are much more scary than mature dragons, but I hardly notice the difference between mature dragons and young dragons.
Old February 24, 2018, 10:47   #286
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grotug View Post
...For me the end game is too easy/less interesting than the rest of the game.....
Dive faster and see what is the lowest experience level or hit point max that you can take on the Bosses. That should increase the difficulty factor.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018, 14:03   #287
Sky
Veteran

..i dont think the difficulty is the problem. it's that the game is structured like this
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
you die.

which is also why, when you *do* get a interesting fight .. or rather, when *I* get an interesting fight, i have a hard time pulling out. my "i'm spent, i need to bail out" mark is a lot higher than anyone else.

that dangerous unique? FINALLY! something to give me a real bump of XP and possibly a decent drop. CHAAAARGGE!!
Old February 24, 2018, 15:03   #288
Grotug
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
Dive faster and see what is the lowest experience level or hit point max that you can take on the Bosses. That should increase the difficulty factor.
I have done that to some degree. My fastest game is 32K turns.
Old February 24, 2018, 17:43   #289
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
..i dont think the difficulty is the problem. it's that the game is structured like this
nothing happens
nothing happens
nothing happens
you die.
Turn on forced-descent. IIRC modern versions of Vanilla have a level-skip setting? Set that to 50% so there's only 50 levels in the game. Turn off selling. If you ever find yourself holding down a direction button, immediately head for the stairs instead. You have all the opportunity in the world to make the game move faster, but it's on you to take advantage of them.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2018, 20:07   #290
Grotug
Knight

I sometimes play with skip 3 levels instead of one, but I've never gotten very far. I almost always play forced descent except when I'm playing something I'm not terribly comfortable with like Hobbit Ranger or Gnome Mage.

So my last Mage game had all randarts tailored to Mage. This game all the randarts are tailored to warrior. How about that!

Let's see... two rings each with <+1> attacks. A bunch of weapons with extra attacks. Gauntlets of damage (+7, +15) and I just found the Halberd of Menniend: 4d5 (+8, +33) <+1> attack speed. Slays evil, branded with lightning and acid which translates to... (drum roll please)...

784 to Sauron and the like, 784 to those not resistant to electricity. 682 vs Evil and my STR is only at 18/141, and dex is at 18/162. Pretty insane damage output given that I'm not wearing any rings of damage.

Why people play standarts when you have the chance of doing this sort of damage. I will never go back! Now to find some telepathy....

Last edited by Grotug; February 25, 2018 at 02:59.