Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 8, 2007, 09:12   #1
Malak Darkhunter
Knight
 
Malak Darkhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: US
Age: 41
Posts: 720
Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Monster AI

I have a lot of problems with the monster Ai, I believe it is great piece of work and all, and certainly makes the game more challenging, having to worry about wounded foes coming back to you. However, the problem is if you have no long-range way of killing creatures your just out of luck. Take the warrior for example, I spent a lot of time chasing monsters around to finally put them to rest. This is especially hard on new characters, who don't have enough gold to buy some long-range weaponry. I think this is ok in intelligent monsters, yet it seems about all of angbands denizens are all about running away. So it seems I am always trying to club down monsters as they flee, before they regenerate their health and here we go again. Is it possible to have selected type monsters with the ability to do this? could it be possible for some monsters to be a little more fearless? Take the troll for example, brutish and savage, yet is busy running away when he's about to die. Or the orc, I always thought of them as fighting to the death. I think some monsters should be able to run away, but it's really annoying trying to chase down every single monster you come by. If your a mage that's great, or have a bow that's great, yet you eventually run out, and after that, kind of annoying to deal with till you rest up or find more arrows. If the AI was a little more fearless in most cases, but not all, I think the game would be a little more enjoyable.
Malak Darkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2007, 20:44   #2
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer
 
will_asher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 927
Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
I have a lot of problems with the monster Ai, I believe it is great piece of work and all, and certainly makes the game more challenging, having to worry about wounded foes coming back to you. However, the problem is if you have no long-range way of killing creatures your just out of luck. Take the warrior for example, I spent a lot of time chasing monsters around to finally put them to rest. This is especially hard on new characters, who don't have enough gold to buy some long-range weaponry. I think this is ok in intelligent monsters, yet it seems about all of angbands denizens are all about running away. So it seems I am always trying to club down monsters as they flee, before they regenerate their health and here we go again. Is it possible to have selected type monsters with the ability to do this? could it be possible for some monsters to be a little more fearless? Take the troll for example, brutish and savage, yet is busy running away when he's about to die. Or the orc, I always thought of them as fighting to the death. I think some monsters should be able to run away, but it's really annoying trying to chase down every single monster you come by. If your a mage that's great, or have a bow that's great, yet you eventually run out, and after that, kind of annoying to deal with till you rest up or find more arrows. If the AI was a little more fearless in most cases, but not all, I think the game would be a little more enjoyable.
I agree, not because of the trouble to track down the fleeing monsters, but because it seems out of character for certain monsters to run away. I always thought most undead monsters, especailly zombies should never run away, and maybe orcs should run away less often. I also think of them as fighting to the death rather than running away.

..now that I think about it, I think zombies already never run away. The NO_FEAR flag does this, right? Or does that only keep them from being scared by the scare monster spell or wand?
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2007, 01:08   #3
zaimoni
Knight
 
zaimoni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 590
zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
..now that I think about it, I think zombies already never run away. The NO_FEAR flag does this, right? Or does that only keep them from being scared by the scare monster spell or wand?
No, that flag is not referenced in the mon_will_run function; zombies will run away currently.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9, 2007, 08:05   #4
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer
 
will_asher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 927
Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimoni View Post
No, that flag is not referenced in the mon_will_run function; zombies will run away currently.
that's too bad.
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Visible monster list, modifications. Irashtar Vanilla 4 October 27, 2007 02:40
learning not to underestimate monster breath will_asher AAR 5 October 17, 2007 20:16


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:24.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.