AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 19, 2008, 06:08   #11
PowerDiver
Prophet

PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arphod View Post
Sorry, can't agree. You get more mileage out of your mana by using magic missile. Lightning bolt costs 4 mana, magic missile 1.
If you are looking for mileage per mana, it is crazy to attack a single orc. The point about lightning beam is that for 4 mana you can damage a row orcs after you line them up in a corridor. That means for a cLevel 5 mage, 4 mana does 36d6 total damage to a dozen orcs nicely lined up.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2008, 06:36   #12
Arphod
Apprentice

Arphod is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
If you are looking for mileage per mana, it is crazy to attack a single orc. The point about lightning beam is that for 4 mana you can damage a row orcs after you line them up in a corridor. That means for a cLevel 5 mage, 4 mana does 36d6 total damage to a dozen orcs nicely lined up.
I hear you. But I frequently kill several orcs in a group when I enter a new level just cuz they're there. And I use maa to do it. It works.
was H2SO4.
Arphod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2008, 18:02   #13
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
I use Magic Missile at that level because nothing can resist it, but I start to use Lightning Bolt when I am worried baddies are going to catch up to me.
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2008, 05:59   #14
Garrie
Adept

Garrie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikke View Post
I use Magic Missile at that level because nothing can resist it, but I start to use Lightning Bolt when I am worried baddies are going to catch up to me.
heh, if you're worried about the baddies you probably should run away!
Old November 20, 2008, 19:23   #15
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
heh, if you're worried about the baddies you probably should run away!
Well I have a pretty good knowledge of which ones are melee only or have haste spells and which ones I need to run from. Not worried about those creeping silver coins if I have decent mana regen at low level
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2008, 01:56   #16
Garrie
Adept

Garrie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
There are two different scenarios here:
1. damage per mana
generally it is amazing how good the hp/mana ratio is for magic missile. it even beams on a pretty reasonable basis once you level up a bit (afaik)
2. one-shot kills
if you are facing something like, acid hounds coming around the corner - you don't want to take them on in a group, you want to kill each one the first action you get as they come around the corner. Baring monster resistances (no good acid bolting water hounds) generally your most recently gained offensive spell has the best potential damager per action but you have to consider it has the least likey chance of succeeding.

Ideally, the only things you are fighting that you need to kill in a single action, you are totally overpowered for. What this means is, if you can't reliably kill (fire/acid/lightning) hounds in a single action (especially as a mage) you are better off running away from them, earthquaking the level so they can't get to you, etc.

I really wish there was a mage spell which created 1 block of wall. It would be a pretty easy way to quarantine a pack of elemental hounds (up until etheral anyway!) - earthquake is nowhere near as reliable (how often does it leave a convoluted path between corridor sections).