AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 2, 2019, 00:26   #101
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Does your frogcomposband.ini look normal, especially with regard to Term-0?
Here is the Term 0 settings. That X,Y location, is the window WAY offscreen?

[Term-0]
Font=Lucida Console
FontWid=0
FontHgt=-27
FontWgt=400
Bizarre=1
TileWid=16
TileHgt=27
NumCols=80
NumRows=36
Maximized=0
PositionX=-32000
PositionY=-32000

Edit: Reset Position to 0, 0 and the main is back. No clue how it got moved there.

Last edited by CyclopsSlayer; May 2, 2019 at 00:33.
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 12:07   #102
Blinkhog
Rookie

Blinkhog is on a distinguished road
So I finally managed to get a win in coffeebreak mode after my failed warrior with this paladin
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=22522
(the dump from after retiring wouldn't upload, said invalid variant or something)

Was very fun.

I want to try with a magical character, but I'm not sure if any are viable.
In between melee builds I tried mindcrafters, which I got to CL50 but found with only 300/turn damage from powers that won't work on later dungeon levels let alone the final boss.

I was thinking maybe armageddon/life or armageddon/nature mage, or armageddon high mage? I haven't found the fourth spellbook for armageddon yet but I'm assuming it contains some high damage spells? Like if I can't dish out at least 700 damage/turn then I think the serpent is unkillable.

Or maybe device master? If there are multipliers for device damage then the damage output there could be okay too.
Blinkhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 12:15   #103
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Append the winning character dump on here and maybe rodent/Sideways can determine why uploading it doesn't work

My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 12:52   #104
Blinkhog
Rookie

Blinkhog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoTheGreat2011 View Post
Append the winning character dump on here and maybe rodent/Sideways can determine why uploading it doesn't work
Here it be
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iUq...ew?usp=sharing
Blinkhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 13:43   #105
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
All those mages sound good. However for armagedon/not-sorcery consider chaos/other realm as that will give you teleport other, destruct & recharge.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 15:27   #106
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
I don't know about mindcrafters specifically, as I haven't played them yet, but mage builds overall tend to have very good endgames. You don't have as much max damage as a typical warrior, but you're very much on par once you consider that your damage output is multiplied (i.e. downgraded) by a 95% or even 100% success rate rather than warriors' typical 60-70% hit-rate for AC 200 (the AC for the final boss). (60-70% figure taken from the THAC200s for my last four winners to have meleed the J.)
Old May 7, 2019, 20:09   #107
Sideways
Swordsman

Sideways is on a distinguished road
Congratulations!

Not sure why your dump wouldn't upload (it looks normal; I'd try uploading it myself, but I don't dare in case it turned out to work after all, in which case the character would be successfully uploaded under my name).

The most common upload error is if you try to upload a .txt dump, or some other non-HTML dump; but since your dump clearly is a HTML one that can't be the problem, unless you dumped it as both .txt and .html and accidentally tried to upload the text version.
Old May 9, 2019, 21:31   #108
Bostock
Swordsman

Bostock is on a distinguished road
Longwalk-attack working even when confused

I've set up a longwalk-attack keymap (in light of my targetting settings it's "[,"), and out of curiosity I tried it when confused today. I was able to flawlessly navigate to my victim and attack them. Tried the same thing manually, worked too. All on the angband.live version.

Last edited by Bostock; May 9, 2019 at 22:17.
Bostock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 01:39   #109
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostock View Post
I've set up a longwalk-attack keymap
I weep for ;*t

Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2019, 02:30   #110
Gwarl
Knight

Gwarl is on a distinguished road
discussion with bostock has revealed that this fundementally breaks confusion as a bug. you can map your arrow keys to `n instead of ;n and walk around and bump things perfectly well while confused.

probably best to just add longwalking to the list of actions you can't take while confused.

as a historical note you have always been able to walk in whatever direction you wished while confused even in poschengband, since whenever whoever imported the function from xband. not sure how many variants it goes back. but the problem was aggravated when I made some changes in early composband which allowed players to attack monsters during longwalking.
Gwarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
frogcomposband