Old February 2, 2010, 19:46   #31
baddog73
Apprentice

baddog73 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Thanks for the report!
Yes, bug.

Identify (and Recharge I) were added to all Magic Shops in the SVN recently. If you find a spellbook with the identify spell in it, you can sell it to a shopkeeper to add the service of ID (though they are pretty rare, IIRC.)

I was about to post the same thing - it doesn't scale at all, and only does 3d5 if you can get the monster to stay still. It's somewhat useful against eg. a line of orcs in a hallway, but there are very few small hallways. Perhaps make both the damage and duration go up slowly?

Sounds like a bug, thanks.
Re: ID. I can't browse books outside my specialty, so I'm not sure which books to sell. Is there a chance we could change things so that all characters could at least browse spellbooks for descriptions, even if you can't use them? Or at least let literate chars do it...

Yes, and scaling would be very nice. Keep the spell useful since the class doesn't seem to have very many damage types available.

Thanks,
-Ben
baddog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2010, 20:19   #32
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
If you can sell a book to gain a service, it will tell you something to that effect in the description, even if you can't read it yourself. ("... You can sell this to a shopkeeper for them to offer the services of identify, " etc.)

I use a lot of darkness bolts in the third master spellbook for direct damage, though they are expensive.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2010, 22:52   #33
baddog73
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I use a lot of darkness bolts in the third master spellbook for direct damage, though they are expensive.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I've been using poison bolt, darkness bolt almost exclusively (until I found the psy book) for direct damage, but it would still be nice to have a 3rd damage type when poison and dark are ineffective.

Whoa, holy bugs, Batman: I just managed to summon 2 familiars! Any idea how this happened?
edit - Just figured something more about this bug, you can summon another familiar when after loading a saved game with a summoned
familiar already present

Bug: There's something odd about ally targetting. Sometimes I can't clear ally targets, so I have to target a space (then they all get unstuck) then I can untarget to get them to follow again.

Convenience: The food algorithm should consider eating elvish waybread when travelling.

Last edited by baddog73; February 3, 2010 at 00:18.
Old February 3, 2010, 09:49   #34
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog73 View Post
Yeah, that's what I mean. I've been using poison bolt, darkness bolt almost exclusively (until I found the psy book) for direct damage, but it would still be nice to have a 3rd damage type when poison and dark are ineffective.
It would be nice... but we can't give you everything... thanks everyone for the bug reports btw.

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2010, 09:52   #35
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddog73 View Post
Re: ID. I can't browse books outside my specialty, so I'm not sure which books to sell. Is there a chance we could change things so that all characters could at least browse spellbooks for descriptions, even if you can't use them?
You can always examine it even if you can't browse it.

Re: chill. I like the radius 1 suggestion but it might be a little over-powered for a level 1 spell. It should definitely scale up in damage - and duration... that might just be an oversight on my part.

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2010, 15:00   #36
Arralen
Swordsman

Donated: 3 euro
Arralen is on a distinguished road
Is it working as designed if you ...

.. have to actually carry a map, instead of having it at home (and inspected once), to enter some "restricted" area?

.. are on Caradhras 20 (restricted), and your bag of maps ( 'There and Back Again', Citadel of Isengard, Mountain Caradhras, sunken city of Numenor) seems to allow you to travel directly to (note the surplus space characters!)
Code:
   Location                      Level
a) Rivendell                      0
b) the Lonely Mountain (!!)      26-36
c)  Isengard                      3-33
d)  west Moria entrance           6-24
e) the sunken city of Numenor    35-48
I would guess at least the Lonely Mountain, Isengard and Numenor would require a little bit of teleport .... which at least for Numenor worked in a test.
Arralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010, 01:04   #37
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Fixed the problem with extra spaces in SVN - though you might need to delete the dungeon.raw file for it to work.

Not sure about the maps thing, but it might be a bit more on the "reducing annoying things" vs. "realism" side of things. Forcing to carry map(s) with you has the downside of using up more inventory slots in exchange for easier travel.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010, 12:28   #38
Arralen
Swordsman

Donated: 3 euro
Arralen is on a distinguished road
Hmmmm ... and what about teleporting from the snowy trails of Caradhras directly into the sunken city of Numenor ... don't tell me this is because of the "ease of travel"

Btw., IMHO it should be either "sunken cities of Numenor", or "the sunken city of Armenelos", as there where at least 5 cities on the island of Numenor (Andúnië, Ondosto, Armenelos, Rómenna, Eldalondë and maybe Nindamos, the biggest settlement on the south coast)

Typo ?!
"The spectral anaconda ... An enormous serpent, floating in the air and bounding off the dungeon walls"
I never heard the word "bounding" used that way, but then, I am not a native speaker ...

Last edited by Arralen; February 5, 2010 at 13:39.
Arralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010, 16:40   #39
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Well, it'd either be "bounding" or "bouncing", and bouncing makes me think of a rubber ball. The entire sentence should be redone, though; it's just weird.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2010, 21:12   #40
baddog73
Apprentice

As a native speaker, I say that although a bit archaic, bounding is perfectly correct.

-Ben