Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old October 3, 2009, 15:05   #1
RogerN
Swordsman

RogerN is on a distinguished road
Monster list display preference

I'm trying to decide the best layout for the visible monster list in my variant. I want to support using the 32x32 tiles in the monster list. Which of the following layouts do you prefer? Feel free to suggest another layout if you have one.

Option 1 - Plain, flat list
The trouble with this option is that the 32x32 tiles are larger than the font size, so a lot of space gets wasted between the lines. Otherwise the monster tiles would overlap. Screenshot:

Option 2 - Staggered monster tiles
This option staggers the monster tiles so that the lines of text can be squeezed closer together without the monster tiles overlapping. Unfortunately it looks a little bit busy to me. On the other hand, you can squeeze a much larger list into the same space. Screenshot:

I have a strong preference for *not* displaying the monster tiles in a smaller size if possible.
RogerN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2009, 16:21   #2
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Cool!

I'm thinking that the first option will quickly run out of real estate, and since scrolling would be a pain, I'd go with #2 (or #1 with a 2nd column, or even #2 with a 2nd column). Or, have both at hand, and choose one or the other based on the number of monsters. Or, based on personal preference, provide both, toggle from one to the other via <keypress>. Don't forget the item list.
Old October 3, 2009, 19:29   #3
RogerN
Swordsman

Good idea - I should have thought of that. I'm using #1 unless the list is too big to fit, at which point it automatically switches to option #2.

There's no reason I couldn't make it user-configurable, but I'm moving on to different features for now.
Old October 3, 2009, 21:25   #4
Dark
Apprentice

Dark is on a distinguished road
As someone who makes frequent use of the monster list to compensate for lack of working eyeballs, I'm pleased it'll be in more varients especially along with 32x32 tyles.

I can't tell via screen shot, but I'd be very much against the idea of scrolling sinse that could play merry hell with my screen reader.

Other than that it doesn't matter sinse my screen reader doesn't recognize graphical tyles so the second option wouldn't be too spammy.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2009, 18:57   #5
Bill Peterson
Apprentice

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
My first thought is, unless your character has ESP and is next to a greater vault or undead pit, you're very rarely going to see that many different monsters. The scrolling option would take care of the <1% when you do have a great variety of foes at a lower programming cost. And in a situation where I'm surrounded by enough monsters to warrant a scrolling display I don't think I want to just quickly glance at a crowded list and make a snap decision.

Alternatively, if you really want suggestions to increase your programming effort, what about just putting columns of images in the display and no text at all. Use mouseover to display the monster information like a tooltip. Again, most of the time you'll only see a couple of easily recognizable images, and if you're surrounded you can take the time to investigate any images you're not sure of.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2009, 21:52   #6
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peterson View Post
My first thought is, unless your character has ESP and is next to a greater vault or undead pit, you're very rarely going to see that many different monsters. The scrolling option would take care of the <1% when you do have a great variety of foes at a lower...
I'd agree with this, but ESP does happen, and even without it, detecting monsters, even at mediocre levels, can produce a lot of hits. That being said, I most often use the monster list immediately after casting detect, just quickly scanning for anything that's really scary.
Old October 5, 2009, 00:05   #7
Dark
Apprentice

Dark is on a distinguished road
I've always noticed the monster list getting a good few hits, both in detection and normal settings.

I'd personally not be in favor of either of Bill's alternatives, ---- though i'm afraid both of my reasons are purely selfish and based on screen read compatibility, ---- sinse scrolling text boxes can be a pest when reading (the box doesn't always scroll with my screen reader's own curser), and obviously images wouldn't be helpful at all, ---- tool tips in fact can be a pest unless it's possible to right click for the information, ---- and even then, there has to be a button or control for my screen reader to click.

Then again, as has already been stated, having optional display settings wouldn't be a bad thing.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2009, 06:29   #8
Rizwan
Swordsman

Rizwan is on a distinguished road
Ummm it's just a thought but since we all know that it is a monster list can we get rid of "A Monster"(s) and "Another monster"(s) and maybe use that space for another couple of staggered columns of monster tiles?
Edit: or maybe a count multiplier like [monster icon] x 35
Rizwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2009, 15:12   #9
RogerN
Swordsman

Quote:
Ummm it's just a thought but since we all know that it is a monster list can we get rid of "A Monster"(s) and "Another monster"(s)
That was just placeholder text. The names of the monsters go there. Cave orc, Umber hulk, Young green dragon, etc...
Old October 6, 2009, 01:40   #10
ekolis
Knight

ekolis is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ekolis Send a message via MSN to ekolis Send a message via Yahoo to ekolis
Aww, really? I thought you were trying to write the "PC has an INT of minus 13 or so" variant where you have to figure out which game objects are weapons and which are dangerous monsters, etc.
ekolis is offline   Reply With Quote