AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old February 6, 2010, 02:32   #41
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arralen View Post
Hmmmm ... and what about teleporting from the snowy trails of Caradhras directly into the sunken city of Numenor ... don't tell me this is because of the "ease of travel"

The maps are made from the wood pulp used to construct stairs in all the dungeons. As a part of the pulping process the magic that prevents monsters moving up and down stairs gets modified to allow you to teleport from the borders of almost any wilderness area.

Quote:
Btw., IMHO it should be either "sunken cities of Numenor", or "the sunken city of Armenelos", as there where at least 5 cities on the island of Numenor (Andúnië, Ondosto, Armenelos, Rómenna, Eldalondë and maybe Nindamos, the biggest settlement on the south coast)
Thanks - we're going with cities...

Quote:
Typo ?!
"The spectral anaconda ... An enormous serpent, floating in the air and bounding off the dungeon walls"
I never heard the word "bounding" used that way, but then, I am not a native speaker ...
Stolen from Sangband, and given Leon's mastery of English, I'm sure it is correct.

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2010, 02:49   #42
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
The maps are made from the wood pulp used to construct stairs in all the dungeons. As a part of the pulping process the magic that prevents monsters moving up and down stairs gets modified to allow you to teleport from the borders of almost any wilderness area.
Personally, I would have gone with "It just does".
Old February 6, 2010, 10:04   #43
Arralen
Swordsman

Donated: 3 euro
Arralen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
Personally, I rather read that as ...
" Shut up, I'm reusing the stairs code from normal dungeon management, which is not really suited for the task, but fixing the thing would either break lots of other things, or require the rewrite of quite a bit of code, but the time required to do that I would rather invest elsewhere ...

Nevertheless, if it is working as designed atm, there's obviously a design error, which should be rectified sooner or later, IMHO, because with maps enabling teleport to every restricted area from another, the whole concept of "overland map" (levels, not objects) is superfluous.
And I love overland levels ... even if UN has pretty few of them - the ground levels of the dungeons, basically. Somehow I was under the impression that Andrew likes the wilderness levels from FA, though, and I'm hoping they might get transferred to UN one day ... . Thinking 'bout it, the "zoomable" overland map from Tome/Heng might be the best thing to do, but the level generation code used by those variants is pretty much awful.
So all it needs is the overland map code from Tome, the wilderness maps from FA, the dungeons from UN (including all the nice terrain), and everything would be fine.
No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant. Never. Ever.
Arralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2010, 10:14   #44
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
No, I don't have a clue 'bout C, and I'm not starting my own variant. Never. Ever.
That's what I said
Old February 6, 2010, 11:05   #45
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer

andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Personally, I rather read that as ...
" Shut up, I'm reusing the stairs code from normal dungeon management, which is not really suited for the task, but fixing the thing would either break lots of other things, or require the rewrite of quite a bit of code, but the time required to do that I would rather invest elsewhere ...
It's not so much a shut up, as I don't feel the need and 'realism' travelling between even normal levels is quite broken. It would be relatively straight forward to generate FAAngband wilderness stairs on the borders of the levels and require you stand on one to travel. I think it'd only need to touch a little bit of the dungeon generation code, mostly by copying and pasting from the relevent FAAngband wilderness generation code.

It's quite nice for instance to be able to teleport away from Beorn and recharge before going back again.

Andrew
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2010, 11:22   #46
Arralen
Swordsman

I don't really have a problem with the "teleporting away" from a dungeon (entrance) level, but with the fact that I can get from Lonely Mountain to Numenor in one hop if I have both maps with me, while I have to traverse several zones to get from Hobbiton to Rivendell because there are no maps for that. (Not that I would want some - as I said, I like the overland travel).

You've constructed a pretty complicated (underlying) campaign map of Middle Earth (which someone did a nice graphic of .. have saved it in my UN download folder for reference; just noticed it's missing the Lonely Mountain map entry, though). Sadly, the map teleport feature devalues it quite a bit, as I could get e.g. from Caradhras to Orodruin or Angmar in one step. And that's a shame !
Old February 17, 2010, 23:36   #47
Arralen
Swordsman

I really have troubles with thrown weapons and potions in pre4 - especially if it's against monster that are "big" (those that give you the message "can't reach"). Javelins and Flask of Gunpowder just fall harmlessly to its feet, without any message 'bout missing or something.

Is has gotten so bad in Caradhras, that I haven't used throwing any more for 10 or more levels, until today, when I deliberatly tried it - wanted to put those un-tolkien gunpowder flask to some use, but I couldn't.

Dunno if this working as designed, but I suspect there's either a message missing or some screwup with the "you can't hit giant monsters" code