Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old September 19, 2012, 19:25   #101
getter77
Adept

getter77 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to getter77 Send a message via MSN to getter77 Send a message via Yahoo to getter77
You might then consider taking a page or so from the gist of how Mercury is going about things: http://www.decisionproblem.com/mercury/
getter77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2012, 03:47   #102
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narvius View Post
It was in a corridor. I had only range 1 lighting. It was more a case of a random "screw you" from the RNG (helped by my unpreparedness, of course).
Guess what just happened to me? Death Sword in a corridor killed me straight away from no damage, no wounds.

I made my personal game a little harder.
  • 20% more experience needed.
  • Minimum number of monster groups on a level increased by one. This increases the number of Chaos and Aether monsters and makes levels with lots of empty rooms more difficult. It should not affect levels with lots of furniture.

I think the released game was a bit too easy, and the changes probably make the game better. I'll be playtesting. If anyone wants to upgrade their difficulty level, or to playtest the more difficult settings with me, ask me for the source or executable!
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2012, 09:56   #103
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
You might then consider taking a page or so from the gist of how Mercury is going about things: http://www.decisionproblem.com/mercury/
Mercury looks very cool and interesting!

I guess I would prefer to just offer a roleplaying and world-building opportunity for those campaign players who like the idea. Minority? Majority? I don't know.

Actually I can just do it here on oook, starting right now. When posting a Halls of Mist character to the ladder (no one has posted one yet), you may post your notes "in character" and/or invent stuff about the character's background or about the game world in general. I will use this flavour in future versions of the game.

Any winners will be incorporated in the game somehow.
Old September 20, 2012, 12:38   #104
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Copying my own post from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
Monsters are placed in heterogenous groups of 1-4, not individually. To compensate, there are more empty rooms. Most of the monsters in a group come from the same realm (Thornwild, Skulgard, Chaos, Aether). Creatures from Skultgard are placed in 'civilized' rooms with furniture, Thornwild monsters are placed in wilderness. Chaos and Aether are placed at random anywhere after all the other monsters have been generated if there's still demand for more monsters.
At the moment monsters from Chaos or Aether are not associated with any dungeon features. Groups of them are simply dropped to random places on the level -- it might even be a corridor (that's the reason for Death Sword kills). Sometimes they are dropped in rooms that already have 'civilized' or 'wild' terrain features and monsters.

Perhaps the easiest way to associate these monsters to dungeon features would be to be to transform the nearby, already generated dungeon with some "chaotic" or "aether" anvironmental effects. Let's say any dungeon features at most 15 squares from the monster drop point would be altered.

For example, a chaotic environment effect would transform nearby trees into alien, flesh-eating trees... In an environment affected by the presence of Aether altars would turn into demon-worshipping ones...

What would a chaotic or aether wall or floor square look like? (Aether: a wall covered in ectoplasm that drains your life? Chaos: flaming wall?) Maybe only a certain percentage of these most basic features would be transformed, depending on how weird effects the terrain features have.

Just thinking aloud. If you can think of any sufficiently weird terrain features, let me know!
Old September 20, 2012, 20:59   #105
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
This game is fun and devilishly hard, and really makes me miss my quiver, and the newer interface from recent versions of Angband (more intuitive picking up / stacking / targetting / etc).

One thing that's been driving me batty is having the dungeon level displayed right next to that big XP bar. It's so counterintuitive that it took me several games to even realize what the bar was for. I'd love to see the DL display moved to the other corner of the screen.
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2012, 21:07   #106
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
This game is fun and devilishly hard, and really makes me miss my quiver, and the newer interface from recent versions of Angband (more intuitive picking up / stacking / targetting / etc).

One thing that's been driving me batty is having the dungeon level displayed right next to that big XP bar. It's so counterintuitive that it took me several games to even realize what the bar was for. I'd love to see the DL display moved to the other corner of the screen.
Could you tell a bit more about how you experience difficulty? Is is hard all the time, or from a certain dungeon level? What character class?

Targeting could be improved but I'm not adding quiver. Not having quiver allows me make different types of arrows much better in different circumstances without making archery too powerful.

Ok, I'll move the xp bar. You're not the first one complaining about it. I never see the bar in Linux for some reason.

Edit: I really should play the new Angband to learn about enchantment to interface and gameplay. Can v4 be considered a fully functional game yet with any character class?

Last edited by Mikko Lehtinen; September 20, 2012 at 21:20.
Old September 20, 2012, 21:18   #107
Starhawk
Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
Could you tell a bit more about how you experience difficulty? Is is hard all the time, or from a certain dungeon level? What character class?

Targeting could be improved but I'm not adding quiver. Not having quiver allows me make different types of arrows much better in different circumstances without making archery too powerful.

Ok, I'll move the xp bar. You're not the first one complaining about it. I never see the bar in Linux for some reason.
Well, the first time I played, I got stabbed to death in town. Har!

I tried a couple of rogues and was just getting destroyed in melee -- whatever bonus they get for attacking sleeping monsters doesn't seem to be enough. I switched to warriors and found I could make it to CL 10 without too much trouble. Right now I'm finding that there is a HUGE jump in melee difficulty when dropping to DL 5. I had a decent character (150ish hp?) die in the first room of DL 5 -- it seems like the brassclaw orc I met there was hugely stronger than the ones I'd faced previously on DL3/4, and the Mage I met blasted away all my hp with just a few spells. I took two wounds against him, couldn't escape from his spells (using a table for cover didn't help enough) and couldn't catch him due to blink. He weakened me enough that the next monster I blundered into finished me off in melee with but a yawn.

I haven't made a spellcaster or ranger yet, but so far my ranged attacks have been distressingly weak, my melee attacks are nothing special and my defenses are frighteningly poor. My hp vanish at a massive rate and heals are hard to come by. Escaping is more problematic, since taking a staircase to get away from a roomful of orcs or Brodda the Easterling means the Thin White Duke gets that much closer to making you lose.

(Also, I can't help but envision that I'm fighting Bowie's Jareth character from Labyrinth...)
Old September 20, 2012, 21:26   #108
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mages are surprisingly powerful at least early on.

I think I'll play write an actual play report about my next game, with details about the tactics I use. I rolled up a Lizardman Ranger earlier today but had to stop playing before entering dungeon.
Old September 20, 2012, 21:40   #109
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

A word about troublesome early humanoids.

Brassclaw Orcs have a nasty second attack with their claws that causes bleeding. It's not very accurate, and having a good AC helps a lot.

Kobold and orc legionnaires throw darts and javelins. They cause lots of damage but you can doddge with a successful Jumping check.
Old September 20, 2012, 22:35   #110
Starhawk
Adept

possible bug: i can't initiate an attack against a monster in a wall, like a poltergeist, and your docs are clear on that -- but my 'freebie' secondary attack was able to hit the poltergeist while it was still in the wall.