Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > The real world > Idle chatter

Old January 21, 2013, 21:24   #11
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Funny that this thread should get resurrected just as I've found my next game - and it's the best successor to MoM that I've found yet (Elemental: Fallen Enchantress). Loving it so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondkalb View Post
Master of Magic is one of my all time favorites. It's a shame that Microprose never made that promised sequel.
Age of Wonders is nearly a MoM clone. It lacks a bit of I don't know what, that made MoM so special, but it is nevertheless a great game. There was an Age of Wonders II and also a slightly better Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic.
I quite liked the AoM games but they didn't grip me the way MoM did. Looking back over the last several years I always broke out DosBox to play the original MoM rather than loading up any of the AoW games (to be fair I'm not sure I tried II, but I definitely played I and SM). I wonder if E:FE will go the same way.
Quote:
All of the Civilization games are great in their own way, some of them have good AddOns or Mods transporting the original game into the far future or fantasy realms.
I burned out on Civ I (my first experience of seeing the sun rise while thinking "just one more turn") so never played II. I did play all of III, IV and V and think V is clearly the best of those. To my knowledge it doesn't have the awesome range of mods that IV has though. Maybe that's still to come.
Old January 22, 2013, 01:12   #12
mtadd
Rookie

mtadd is on a distinguished road
A relative newcomer out of Russia is Eador - Genesis, which you can get at GOG.com. Its a turn-based strategy game with empire building, city building, rpg elements, and tactical battles. Its also quite difficult, but if you're not playing for points, you can easily undo turns that you make those minor errors in.

Though there's no English manual, the tutorial is enough to get you started, and there's a community encyclopedia in Russian which Google will happily translate for you.

There's also a remake in pretty 3D graphics coming down the pike as well if the 2D tile graphics aren't your cup of tea.
mtadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2013, 07:27   #13
Cerebrate64
Rookie

Cerebrate64 is on a distinguished road
While i remember i might as well mention Empire. I'm not into it much but its a good game. The original version is free and you can get it here.

http://www.classicempire.com/

Really simple turn based wargame but you may like it.

Also, i would like to second Dwarf fortress.
Cerebrate64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2013, 08:52   #14
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
If you like Empire, you will love Massive Assault or it's sequel Domination. Turn-based wargames with quite pretty graphics. I'm getting addicted to playing Domination World Wars against the AI. Games are much faster than in Empire and I think more strategic, too.

There's a newer version, but it's multiplayer-only (I think). These two had a pretty tough AI.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2013, 13:09   #15
Elbereth
Rookie

Elbereth is on a distinguished road
If you're looking for something civ-like but with some scifi ingredients I'd go for Alpha Centauri.

If you want a very deep, very complex strategy game, I'd go for the Hearts of Iron series.
Old February 8, 2013, 16:09   #16
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbereth View Post
If you're looking for something civ-like but with some scifi ingredients I'd go for Alpha Centauri.

If you want a very deep, very complex strategy game, I'd go for the Hearts of Iron series.
Hmm, I prefer the other settings of the HoI engine (mainly Crusader Kings and EU: Rome because I like the character-level stuff), but it's always been on my longlist.

By Alpha Centauri you mean SMAC? I did indeed enjoy it a lot, but a long while ago. I gather there is a Linux version now, which is very cool.