Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 22, 2019, 05:01   #41
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
1) When I use a staff of summoning and bring forth something faster than me, I get "Foo hits you. Foo hits you. Foo is able to move again." Dunno what that's about?
So that's two things. The first is that previously monsters used to be slowed when they were first summoned to give the player a chance to react. Now that we have a "held" status (as in Hold Monster), they are held instead, which is what the "is able to move again" message is about.

The second is that that message ordering is not ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB View Post
2) A helpful shopkeeper just told me that I can wield ammo to the quiver to save on slots. Not sure that's really so helpful anymore.
True.
Old August 22, 2019, 13:24   #42
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Thank you so much for the new version. Two quick notes:

1. The food percentage. Maybe it's just me, but it feels a tad too numbery. Knowing the percentage of hunger feels like a bit too much information. But I'll probably get used to it after a couple of games.

2. Blackguard. For the first time for a long time I've actually tried to play something else than warrior, priest or paladin. I chose blackguard and tried to look for some information, but could only find the character description from rephial. Does the effect of shield bash depend on the shield @ is wearing? Does shield bash do damage or does it only stun? I suppose bg tries to shield bash every time he hits, but what is the success percentage and what does it depend on? At what level blackguard gets the first spell?
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 15:46   #43
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Minor inconsistency:

On walk over while blind: You feel a Pair of leather sandals.
In wield menu while still blind: Leather sandals [1,+4]
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 18:51   #44
Bill Peterson
Apprentice

Bill Peterson is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Bill Peterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Minor inconsistency:

On walk over while blind: You feel a Pair of leather sandals.
In wield menu while still blind: Leather sandals [1,+4]
You've seen sandals in the past. You can feel the materiel used and the quality of the construction.
Bill Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 20:40   #45
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
1. The food percentage. Maybe it's just me, but it feels a tad too numbery. Knowing the percentage of hunger feels like a bit too much information. But I'll probably get used to it after a couple of games.
Same feeling. The more I see the new system, the more I appreciate the elegance of the old one, where without seeing any numbers you could tell that eating a food ration while not full wasn't going to leave you gorged.

(OTOH, I like a lot the varied Middle-Earth gastronomy and I wish there was more food with side effects around.)
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 21:31   #46
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Same feeling. The more I see the new system, the more I appreciate the elegance of the old one, where without seeing any numbers you could tell that eating a food ration while not full wasn't going to leave you gorged.
I disagree, in that the "old system" if by that you mean the system just recently implemented where food could now make @ gorged, but there was no good way to know when drinking CCWs or eating a ration would suddenly slow @, especially in the final fights. I like the new varieties of foods, with their differing amounts of nourishment. And the numbers allow one to make much better decisions about food. As for somehow not being as flavorfully immersive because you have numbers, tell me, how does one know so precisely how wounded a @ is and how many hit points exactly he has left? Is that somehow more "real"?
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 22:08   #47
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingwe Ingweron View Post
I disagree, in that the "old system" if by that you mean the system just recently implemented where food could now make @ gorged, but there was no good way to know when drinking CCWs or eating a ration would suddenly slow @, especially in the final fights.
It sure does make Excel-type of play easier and if one enjoys that, I'm happy for them. I was just originally stating my opinion that seeing the hunger in a 0-100 scale feels a bit overkill, even if we are talking about percentages. After a couple of games my @ was not feeling hungry in my mind, he was under some set threshold. There is probably some sort of middle ground here, I think this is the other end of the spectrum and the original is the other end. For what it's worth, I enjoyed the previous more. Being able to get gorged has never been to my liking though.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 22:45   #48
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Would it be better if we came up with a set of 10 descriptors of how hungry @ is, like the "very bad <-> superb" scale, and displayed that instead of a percentage? That would give you a pretty clear idea of your hunger state without breaking it down to a specific number.

Let's see...

Starving
Ravenous
Famished
Hungry
Peckish
I Could Eat
Not Hungry
Full
Stuffed
Bloated

Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22, 2019, 23:02   #49
Hounded
Scout

Hounded is on a distinguished road
No objection to the percentage myself but I grok the "it's another number I have to maintain" perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post

Starving
Ravenous
Famished
Hungry
Peckish
I Could Eat
Not Hungry
Full
Stuffed
Bloated

Workable but adds potential for confusion. Where the number might seem too precise this runs the risk of being too generic if we're worried about penalties due over-eating.

And indicator bar perhaps? Then does it have red at both ends... (and I'm gonna stop before I fall down that trap-door).

Aside... quite enjoying the Trees. My first encounter with Huorns was a rather pleasantly rude surprise.
Old August 22, 2019, 23:03   #50
Hounded
Scout

Hounded is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Peterson View Post
Look at the file xtra-shb.prf in the lib/tiles/shockbolt directory. Once you figure out how they index into the .png image you can make changes.
Thank you.