Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 27, 2015, 04:09   #11
yyt16384
Scout

yyt16384 is on a distinguished road
Meteor swarm is not very useful when you first get the fail rate down. It's less mana efficient than previous bolt spells, so it is only useful against monsters that resist base elements.

Later in the game when you need to kill things more quickly it is the main attack spell for mages. Rift is less mana efficient against a single monster. Rend soul is only useful against non-evil monsters. And chaos strike is only useful against uniques because of the polymorph effect.
yyt16384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015, 05:31   #12
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
According to hubblesite.org:

A meteor is the flash of light that we see in the night sky when a small chunk of interplanetary debris burns up as it passes through our atmosphere. "Meteor" refers to the flash of light caused by the debris, not the debris itself.

The debris is called a meteoroid.

If any part of a meteoroid survives the fall through the atmosphere and lands on Earth, it is called a meteorite.

"Meteor" does imply fire; I can understand why this would be confusing for some people. A meteorite swarm, though, could also imply fire because they would only be swarming if they were currently in the process of hitting the ground and that would indicate they were on fire from entering the atmosphere.

WWTD?

(What would Tolkien do?)
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015, 08:48   #13
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
Saying that this spell is useless because it isn't fire elemental is a bit weird. How many monsters are actually vulnerable to anything?? And how many monsters resist fire? (I'm pretty sure the latter group is like "1 billion monsters")
Almost all undeads have fire resistance hole
Almost all demons and animals have cold resistance hole.
Almost everything has hole to electricity
Even more have hole to acid.

Vulnerabilities are not that common though. Hydras, reptiles, snakes, most jellies and nagas are hurt by cold, vampires, zombies and molds by fire. Individual species might make exception, like fire and death mold and movable jellies. Also fire elementals and vortices are hurt by cold and cold elementals and vortices by fire.

There are a lot of monsters that get hurt by light. I didn't even realize that before doing monster.txt browsing. Too bad that game doesn't have decent light-based weapon (spell or light-brand. Elven blades should have light brand against orcs IMO).

Brands are very useful against non-unique monsters. Uniques have tendency to resist more than general population. If you have double-branded weapon it gets that against almost anything, because things that resist one usually don't resist other. There are very few monsters that resist both cold and fire for example. Almost all of them uniques.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2015, 06:40   #14
Zikke
Veteran

Zikke is on a distinguished road
You'd think the priest books would have a light-based spell to balance out the orb of draining (which in my head has always seemed black?).

Holy bolt
Holy blast
Holy aura (PBAOE)
Light To The Face (<----- winner)
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2015, 06:42   #15
Carnivean
Swordsman

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikke View Post
You'd think the priest books would have a light-based spell to balance out the orb of draining (which in my head has always seemed black?).

Holy bolt
Holy blast
Holy aura (PBAOE)
OOD being black makes it a necromancer spell in my mind, though it fits with the name. Draining makes it seem like it's draining life. I think of OOD as your Holy Blast spell.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2015, 16:30   #16
Rowan
Adept

Rowan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zikke View Post

Holy bolt
Holy blast
Holy aura (PBAOE)
That's interesting- I always imagined Orb to be light... but that might be because I play with Shockbolt's tiles, ha.

"Orb of Draining" is a really strange name for the spell anyway, since it's clearly not related to Drain Life. I'd probably vote for your suggestion of "Light to the Face," ha!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote