debo is on a distinguished road
I think that variant was called 'hexen'
Old September 30, 2015, 21:38   #12
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimbul View Post
A lot of the techniques are similar - such as not using unidentified stuff.
This bit of advice has changed a bit recently. There's been a general move towards making ID-by-use much more reasonable -- i.e. potions of Death have been removed, and most curses too. (Artifacts can be cursed, but if you're playing with standarts they at least have significant upsides. If you're playing with randarts... be careful about wielding unidentified artifacts!).

Quote:
(snip) these things seem to be a LOT more dangerous than the major demons in Nethack - which is cool.
I haven't played Nethack at all (have watched a few Let's Play's), but AFAIUI as long as you avoid the "classic" gimmick instadeaths by stoning/Medusa/etc. you can basically never die in a single turn because you can absorb quite a lot of damage. Not so in Angband unless you have perfect escapes and are never below 600HP (or so) against a single foe.

Hopefully that wasn't too spoily. GLHF as they say
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2015, 22:43   #13
Bimbul
Adept

Bimbul is on a distinguished road
Agreed- the only real instadeaths in Nethack (beyond early game) are death rays and disintegration which are pretty easy to get around by getting resistance (which means immunity in Nethack) or reflection.

You can be insta-drowned by various water creatures but you can genocide them. If you like - though there's more important genocides to do- like liches and mindflayers.

Once you know what you're doing in Nethack you get very difficult to kill though last time I played it they'd buffed up some of the nastier monsters to make it more interesting in late game.

That's one of the attractions for me to Angband beyond it just being a new challenge. I read on another thread that someone else is getting a bit upset by instadeaths but it's always amused me in this game - at least it did in Zangband, I've not encountered it yet in my current week-old new sojourn to vanilla angband. A couple of times back then I had some voice from somewhere I couldn't see saying 'Next turn, you die... (next turn) You die.' Lol. I soon learned to teleport the hell away when I read that. Eventually I managed to kill that major demon (he had a name which I forget - he wandered about in the wild above ground somewhere in Zangband)... can't remember how now - doh. I think I got resistant to nether bolts but I'm not sure...

Sounds like I need to be worried about my current gnome mage. He's clev 31 but has no nether, nexus or confusion resitance and I'm diving around dlev 40 now... - has 140 HP only - ouch. (but 202 mana - yay).
Bimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2015, 23:07   #14
kandrc
Swordsman

kandrc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sounds like I need to be worried about my current gnome mage. He's clev 31 but has no nether, nexus or confusion resitance and I'm diving around dlev 40 now... - has 140 HP only - ouch. (but 202 mana - yay).
Assuming you have the relevant resistances, and assuming you're +8 (or more) speed with a pair of rings of escaping, that's good enough to kill literally everything (except Kavlax) that's native to that depth. You don't even have to get exploitative. You just find your enemy in another room or corridor, get at least 20 cells away, stone to mud a path straight to them, and hit them with a barrage of the most powerful bolt that they don't resist. And if you don't mind getting exploitative, you can even handle Kavlax with a couple rounds through a 20 cell hockey stick.

By clvl 31, I'm usually twice that deep.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2015, 23:52   #15
Bimbul
Adept

Well I'm not experienced with this game I almost certainly play too much like the other game.

No I only have +4 speed. I dropped a ring of escaping at home as it didn't seem worthwhile - ho hum. And what the 'relevant' resistances are I have no clue - yet.

I'm resistant to cold, fire, lightning, poison and blindness only - I'm starting to get annoyed with my artifact finds - I've found about a dozen, maybe more, and they just keep repeating the same ones, sigh -and they're mostly weapons which are useless to me unless they give me a new resistance. My current weapon buffs my intelligence - about 50 mana - so I don't want to lose it unless I get something much more helpful. I do have superb stealth though which I'm sure helps.

I don't really know what I'm doing in this game - I'll work it out eventually

I am pretty powerful nevertheless it seems, I've taken out some apparently powerful things, several major demons and mature dragons (which seem easy - I skipped an ancient one - mostly because something else was firing nether bolts at me on that level) Still annoyingly vulnerable though. Having fun - definitely

[edit] - no I seem to have kept my ring of escaping on me...

Last edited by Bimbul; October 1, 2015 at 00:03.
Old September 30, 2015, 23:53   #16
Bimbul
Adept

What do you mean by 'exploitative'?
Old October 1, 2015, 02:05   #17
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
What do you mean by 'exploitative'?
The line-of-sight rules are not symmetrical, so it's possible to see and/or hit-with-spells monsters when they can't do the same to you. The most common version of this is the "hockey stick", where you stand a knight's move away from an enemy with a clear tile in front of you. You can actually extend the hockey stick further out if you're willing to play games with targeting unoccupied tiles, to manipulate the path your spells take.

But this kind of shenanigans is not remotely necessary to win the game. It's important to know about the basic hockeystick if only so that you don't fall victim to it yourself, but the "advanced" versions are both tedious and scummy to use.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2015, 08:21   #18
Bimbul
Adept

Ah, I think I've been doing that to be honest. Didn't realise they couldn't do it back to me though.
Old October 1, 2015, 09:54   #19
Werbaer
Apprentice

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandrc View Post
Assuming you have the relevant resistances, and assuming you're +8 (or more) speed with a pair of rings of escaping, that's good enough to kill literally everything (except Kavlax) that's native to that depth.
That's what my last mage thought, too. And then he was one-shot by a patriarch with a cause wounds spell.
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2015, 13:06   #20
Bimbul
Adept

Damn, just got killed by a time vortex - and I'd just killed a ringwraith and Ariel too.

Stupid damn death too - got hit by something strange and had half my stats nerfed. Was taking some time to look at my potions to see if I had a restore one on me meaning to teleport out of there next move. Had pressed q for quaff - not i for inventory- doh.

And I'd just finally found something to resist nether too lol.

Dunno about anyone else, but it's these really annoying monsters worth naff all XP that seem to be the worst ones - I find acidic jellies a real pain in the arse and these vortexes and hounds that blast you with stuff from miles away just totally worth avoiding if you can.

Last edited by Bimbul; October 1, 2015 at 13:19.