AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old October 22, 2015, 11:11   #11
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egavactip View Post
A Sling of Buckland is not the only missile weapon in Angband, nor is "double-range" the only possible range longer than normal range. If there are Long Bows of Accuracy, there should/could be Long Bows of Extra Range.
Maybe long range ammunition instead of shooter? The multiplier affecting the range kind of makes sense (faster speed for ammo), but ammunition could also have range-extending capabilities so that they fly farther than normal with same initial speed. One grid / PVAL +1.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2015, 11:41   #12
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Why do you think that longer range would be a good idea? Rangers are already good at pinning down enemies from far away, and I don't think they need another bonus on this respect.

Given the average room size, the shooting radius looks ok to me as it is.
If anything, I would aim to reduce the distance scale of the game, to mitigate "the drolem (offscreen) breathes, you die" problems and try to be more tablet-friendly.
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2015, 12:49   #13
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Why do you think that longer range would be a good idea? Rangers are already good at pinning down enemies from far away, and I don't think they need another bonus on this respect.
Throwing and very early game short bows and slings have pitiful range. You could create throwing weapons with decent range if those weapons could have attribute for range. Currently whole flag doesn't exist, so it would require code change.

You could of course restrict that as ego for ammunition so that branded ammo can't be extra range ammo.
Old October 22, 2015, 14:26   #14
Ingwe Ingweron
Veteran

Ingwe Ingweron is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Given the average room size, the shooting radius looks ok to me as it is.
If anything, I would aim to reduce the distance scale of the game, to mitigate "the drolem (offscreen) breathes, you die" problems and try to be more tablet-friendly.
+1 here. I don't think the range should be increased whatsoever and reduction of range has the benefits you mentioned.
“We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
Ingwe Ingweron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2015, 14:38   #15
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This is easy to try - just change the max-range and max-sight values in constants.txt.
Old October 23, 2015, 12:37   #16
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Quote:
Ruining the game to support toys is not the ideal goal IMO.