Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 5, 2015, 05:46   #1
brbrbr
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 99
brbrbr is on a distinguished road
Warrior Fun

So I gave up on gnome flea, sorry, mage and started Dwarf Warrior instead.

What a relief it is!
I have so much delight playing that character, I cannot stop playing.
I get to dl30 in one breath and going from strength to strength.
Maybe it will become harder, but I have so much fun already. It is Fantastic.

Here is my mage play style:
Code:
Detect stairs, there is one in to East.
Detect monster, there seems to be a Priest over there, let's research.
He can cast serious wounds, which is less than my full health, but I am low on healing.
He can speed himself up, what if he double-move me?
Lets calculate, it would take X1 cold bolts, X2 firebolts or X3 acid bolts to kill 
him, assuming Y failure rate
If I remove ring of escape, I would loose Z speed, but gain Y less failures, which tactic is better?
He's got decent melee attack, and the room is small, so I better build a shooting tunnel. 
I don't have enough mana to complete the tunnel, I would need to rest,
but the Priest can wake up. 
So I better swap ring of Int for ring of Mouse for tunneling,
then not to forget to switch it back right before the battle.
If I get in trouble I will teleport him away with wand, cause failure rate on it lower than on spell.
Ok, lets haste ouselves and execute  the manuver.
It is so good to be mage, what would I do without all these spells?
Here is how I play warrior:
Code:
I want to go East.
There is green p between me and East.
Hit right, hit right. Continue to go East
Oh, god, I am so happy

P.S: I love mashroom farms in the dangeon, and I also had a rings sale in the black market - 8 different rings, all warrior-oriented. Is it part of the code now: themed shop sales?
brbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2015, 07:43   #2
Bogatyr
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 443
Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrbr View Post
So I gave up on gnome flea, sorry, mage and started Dwarf Warrior instead.

What a relief it is!
I have so much delight playing that character, I cannot stop playing.
I get to dl30 in one breath and going from strength to strength.
Maybe it will become harder, but I have so much fun already. It is Fantastic.

Here is my mage play style:
Code:
Detect stairs, there is one in to East.
Detect monster, there seems to be a Priest over there, let's research.
He can cast serious wounds, which is less than my full health, but I am low on healing.
He can speed himself up, what if he double-move me?
Lets calculate, it would take X1 cold bolts, X2 firebolts or X3 acid bolts to kill 
him, assuming Y failure rate
If I remove ring of escape, I would loose Z speed, but gain Y less failures, which tactic is better?
He's got decent melee attack, and the room is small, so I better build a shooting tunnel. 
I don't have enough mana to complete the tunnel, I would need to rest,
but the Priest can wake up. 
So I better swap ring of Int for ring of Mouse for tunneling,
then not to forget to switch it back right before the battle.
If I get in trouble I will teleport him away with wand, cause failure rate on it lower than on spell.
Ok, lets haste ouselves and execute  the manuver.
It is so good to be mage, what would I do without all these spells?
Here is how I play warrior:
Code:
I want to go East.
There is green p between me and East.
Hit right, hit right. Continue to go East
Oh, god, I am so happy

P.S: I love mashroom farms in the dangeon, and I also had a rings sale in the black market - 8 different rings, all warrior-oriented. Is it part of the code now: themed shop sales?
Haha your mage play style leaves something to be desired. But I'd take it any day, wow, how interesting it is, so many choices, angband is about choices, strategies, decisions. And unless you're clev one, a priest should be about 1-2 spells to kill.

Now, taking out an entire orc pit at clev 12 or so, where any one of them could probably kill you in one-on-one melee, now *that's* fun. Line 'em up in a corridor, spear of light and lightning bolt them 10 at a time, sleep the lead guy, go rest up for SP, come back and continue. Awesome!

Just wait until you stumble into packs of gravity hounds and an already breeding nest of neekerbreekers.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2015, 08:45   #3
Bimbul
Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Bimbul is on a distinguished road
Horses for courses, I agree with the previous poster - much more interesting to play magic casters for me.
Bimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2015, 18:33   #4
Zikke
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,061
Zikke is on a distinguished road
Unless brbrbr is actually the borg! I imagine those are the calculations the borg uses to play a mage.

I prefer paladins; most of the bash bash bash of a warrior but with a few tricks (like detection, satisfy hunger, TO, etc.) for a nicer standard of living.
__________________
A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:
Zikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 00:14   #5
brbrbr
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 99
brbrbr is on a distinguished road
I've cleared orc pit with average shovel
By the time I realized it, all orcs were done. That was hilarious.

I guess, I source my enjoyment from feeling strong and capable.
Mages don't give me that feeling.

I've been reading http://lparchive.org/Angband recently, it is very decent write-up. The guy says Rogues are warriors with mage utility spells. I always thought of them as thieves, or spies, somebody who is weak and survives by stealing and sneaking rather than honest fight.
If Rogues are real fighters with some magic backup, it would make a perfect character.
The only thing which bugs me is why everybody chooses hobbit race for rogues? Hobbits are not fighters...
brbrbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 00:36   #6
Rowan
Adept
 
Rowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TX
Posts: 139
Rowan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrbr View Post
The only thing which bugs me is why everybody chooses hobbit race for rogues? Hobbits are not fighters...
I think that's a throwback to D&D, which is probably a shout-out to the "burglar" Baggins in Tolkien. *shrug* I don't know for sure- I'm always a hobbit, no matter what!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 00:52   #7
Nomad
Knight
 
Nomad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: England
Posts: 958
Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrbr View Post
I've been reading http://lparchive.org/Angband recently, it is very decent write-up. The guy says Rogues are warriors with mage utility spells. I always thought of them as thieves, or spies, somebody who is weak and survives by stealing and sneaking rather than honest fight.
If Rogues are real fighters with some magic backup, it would make a perfect character.
The only thing which bugs me is why everybody chooses hobbit race for rogues? Hobbits are not fighters...
Hobbits have the highest stealth, so they're good if you want to play as a stealth type rogue that avoids fighting.

If you want to play a fighter-with-added-spells type rogue, try playing as a Half-Orc. That +2 to STR really makes a difference surviving melee combat in the early levels, and unlike the other high STR classes (Dwarves and Half-Trolls) they have no penalty to DEX and only -1 to INT so they're not too useless at the actual rogue stuff either.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 03:01   #8
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,056
Derakon is on a distinguished road
Rogues are basically tied with paladins for melee capability; melee is their primary means of killing things and therefore of getting experience, so they'd better be good at it. They're not awful at ranged combat either (third behind rangers and warriors).

Hobbits are one of the better races; good stats, great stealth, and a minimal experience penalty. They're a bit fragile, but they can still do any class really. Good stealth can take a lot of pressure off of you.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 05:14   #9
Bogatyr
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 443
Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brbrbr View Post
I've cleared orc pit with average shovel
By the time I realized it, all orcs were done. That was hilarious.

I guess, I source my enjoyment from feeling strong and capable.
Mages don't give me that feeling.
You've clearly not gotten a mage far enough along. A ~40-ish clev mage + dungeon spellbooks is definitely the most powerful entity in the game. Not in "HP/turn" damage output, but in the fine-grain control of every encounter and the dungeon geography itself. A mage can trivially destroy any non-wall-eating/passing unique without ever taking a single blow/attack. The ball and beam spells affect large groups in a single turn.

So I can certainly say:

I source my enjoyment from feeling a master of the dungeon, the monsters and its contents.
Mages give me that feeling.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2015, 10:39   #10
Bimbul
Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 140
Bimbul is on a distinguished road
I just had my best game ever - very nearly made it to endgame - with a rogue - I do like the balance of a rogue (wasn't a hobbit though).

Definitely is a personal thing characterwise. My own epiphany occurred a long time ago playing Nethack when I just got bored with warrior characters and the ease with which the early game was done and wanted a greater challenge.
I ended up with my first Ascension being a tourist* - the toughest character of all (early gamewise at least). My favourite was definitely wizard though - they start off as 'fleas' but by the end are superpower characters and for me are just much more interesting to play.

The only downside of the rogue here for me is that they have almost no attack spells. Mage - oooh drool - provided you can get far enough - slavver - hell yeah.

It's interesting for me, having thought about it, that your first post here is almost the perfect reason that I prefer mage over warrior.

The toughest character I find here is the priest. Never really got far as one - few attack spells, mostly healing and detection, and the blunt weapon thing takes out most of the artifact weapons [edit]- yay - I found Narthanc like 2 minutes after posting this - sigh - [edit2] - actually it's still not bad as it happens hmm)

Having said that, I just got a great find as a priest green dragon scale mail on DL6 - this one has promise now.

Currently, I use a random character each time though (I am new-ish to this game) so I get a feel for them all for a while. Warrior is OK but has issues with detection - I don't have to worry about traps or lurking nasties down at DL10 as a mage.



*This is my Nethack claim to fame - I almost never mention it

Last edited by Bimbul; November 6, 2015 at 11:06.
Bimbul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fun with Anydice debo Sil 8 June 10, 2017 23:51
Fun SP bug Justin Z Vanilla 3 December 14, 2014 18:37
Having fun with v4 Pete Mack AAR 6 April 18, 2013 21:39
Q: Know what's fun? Max Stats Vanilla 2 March 17, 2011 22:40
Just for fun challenge! phroggonalog Vanilla 3 February 9, 2008 00:12


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.