Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 5, 2017, 04:22   #1
Fiquin
Rookie

Fiquin is on a distinguished road
What Kills Warriors in Iron Man?

No trap detection... its nearly impossible to wear enough 'searching' to make up for a few rods of trap detection and when you're about to plunder that juicy 9 vault or you're on your way to grab 'x' item a trap door will wreck you. I had search on auto and was searching each space three times and I still missed a trap door in said vault with +8, 54% searching.

No food... miss a few levels because of trap doors? You'll run low on consumables and the one consumable that will kill you if you run out is food. Just a reminder that the warrior class in Iron Man plays like the original Rogue... as if everything else weren't hard enough you're on a food clock... it wouldn't be Angband if the levels were persistent however starvation is a harsh fate for the one class that can't conjure food from a book.

Last edited by Fiquin; April 5, 2017 at 17:21.
Fiquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017, 04:43   #2
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
For food, carry scrolls of satisfy hunger. They last longer. And don't use regeneration. Early on, use ring of Slow detection to protect your stash, especially if you are daring enough to play Half-troll warrior. Otherwise, so long as you keep moving, there should be plenty of food to eat (stacks of slime molds, food, mushrooms, waybread.)

Traps are just something you have to be ready for--ironman or not. And yeah, it's tough luck if you don't find a rod of trap detection early. But not as tough as not finding Kelek's as a mage.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017, 09:43   #3
fph
Knight

fph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
ring of Slow detection
Ha - THAT's why Fiquin couldn't see trap doors!
fph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017, 10:11   #4
Thraalbee
Swordsman

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
The only real issue is ?phase door supply. Warrior is the only class that needs scrolls for this the entire game. Like all ironman characters eg rod of curing helps save potions but there is no rod of phasing to help there
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017, 16:14   #5
Pete Mack
Prophet

Grr. Slow digestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fph View Post
Ha - THAT's why Fiquin couldn't see trap doors!
Oh yeah. You run out of these fast, and will not have enough vs Morgoth. It takes significantly more !heal to kill him as ironman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thralbee
The only real issue is ?phase door supply. Warrior is the only class that needs scrolls for this the entire game. Like all ironman characters eg rod of curing helps save potions but there is no rod of phasing to help there
Old April 5, 2017, 17:01   #6
Fiquin
Rookie

Indeed, my latest game was the first time I saw how starvation mechanics work to the bitter end. For an Iron Man warrior in particular never squelch any food or potential food item and you must always have an inventory slot completely dedicated to something that keeps you "full".

Needlessly to say I was doing this, however, around dl 20 I usually run out of inventory for all the things I need or would like to carry so I make stashes of items as I explore the level - my stack of 9 or so satisfy hunger scrolls was stashed to make extra space on my first major vault level but as I pointed out above if you hit a bad luck streak on searches and pop that trap door you better make sure you have the essentials in your pack... now I know and from here on out food will be one of them. Even if I have trap detection and disarm rods, a teleport level from some nasty can ruin an otherwise perfectly played game if you don't have a healthy stack of food in your inventory.

Angband, where the real challenge is...
Old April 5, 2017, 17:32   #7
Fiquin
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
But not as tough as not finding Kelek's as a mage.
Once I had played mage enough to find Kelek's I realized Kelek's is what makes a mage. That would be harsh to get to dl99/100 without Kelek's!
Old April 5, 2017, 17:47   #8
Pete Mack
Prophet

My current character is a mage at dl96 without Kelek. It is HARD to kill unique, especially demons and undead. For others I can use wands of drain life for 250 damage, or put on a nice Ring of accuracy (+22,+0) and melee or shoot arrows. Add in !Berserk and !Hero, and I can play like a weak rogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiquin View Post
Once I had played mage enough to find Kelek's I realized Kelek's is what makes a mage. That would be harsh to get to dl99/100 without Kelek's!
Old April 5, 2017, 21:29   #9
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Keleks used to be so rare that most mages never found it. Even earlier, melee and archery was late game mages only relevant form of attack.
Estie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2017, 21:39   #10
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
And earlier than that, they got Globe of Invulnerability and were completely unstoppable so long as their SP held out.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote