AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old November 18, 2018, 09:42   #11
Sphara
Apprentice

Sphara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlySensitiveHalfTroll View Post
4) I don't know if I should create another thread for this but probably not: about selling stuff to the shops, do anyone know if this is normal? I found a blessed Main Gauche (+3, +6) that the shopowner pays less than 10 gold to me but sells for 2800 afterwards. Would I have to identify the weapon first to be able to get a better haggling out of it? Or going down the dungeon and back up makes the prices/items change?
You need to identify the object before selling it. Otherwise a shopkeeper won't offer anything better than coffee money for it and will even laugh at you when he gets a good item with a criminal price.
I don't remember prices changing in older versions for other reason than your Charisma score changing.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 12:32   #12
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
3) I'm using an old version because I thought newer ones had too much stuff removed or "balanced" as they say. We know that skulls are useless (allegedly) but it's nice to have them there instead of removing it altogether. The same with iron spikes. Or wooden torches for that matter.
Have you actually played the newer ones? There are wooden torches still in there. I can't go back to the old versions simply because the improvements made are so fundamentally better that not having them ruins the experience.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 14:34   #13
gglibertine
Adept

gglibertine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivean View Post
Have you actually played the newer ones? There are wooden torches still in there. I can't go back to the old versions simply because the improvements made are so fundamentally better that not having them ruins the experience.
What Carnivean said. Seriously, you should try the latest version. It's really good, and if you play with randarts enabled at the moment really high-powered ones are unusually common.

I've been playing since the beginning and I wouldn't go back.
gglibertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2018, 15:10   #14
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
2) I am save scumming for my first playthroughs to see what I can and cannot do without having to invest massive amounts of time in a character (testing spells, weapons, strategies etc)
Cheat Death, which is still available in the newest version, is a better way to do this.
Quote:
4) I don't know if I should create another thread for this but probably not: about selling stuff to the shops, do anyone know if this is normal? I found a blessed Main Gauche (+3, +6) that the shopowner pays less than 10 gold to me but sells for 2800 afterwards. Would I have to identify the weapon first to be able to get a better haggling out of it? Or going down the dungeon and back up makes the prices/items change? Any tips for a quick buck at the start? I just find annoying that you arrive at DLVL10 and get almost all your gold stolen and that when you kill the creature who stole it the gold doesn't get reclaimed. It's still better than "Rogue" throwing Rattlesnakes at you draining all your Strength down without chance of killing them from a distance for example xDDDDDD
You have to identify stuff to be able to sell it for more than the base price, though identifying works a lot differently in current Angband, and you can turn off selling to make approximately the same amount of money in a much less tedious way.
That blessed Main Gauche was likely better than whatever you were using for damage (old Angband does not give calculations for expected damage output, IIRC, but current Angband does), and you wouldn't have sold it because you would already know there was something remarkable about it due to runeID.
To make money at the start of the game, play the current version, turn off selling (it's still implemented as an option but I recommend no-sell), and just go to dlvl 5 or so, you'll find lots of cash. Or go even deeper, there's no real reason to hang around shallow levels.
If you don't want to get all your gold stolen, have a ranged attack, or leave the level if something is stealing your cash and you can't avoid it. Or play the current version of Angband, in which monsters who steal gold drop it when killed.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2018, 14:02   #15
Werbaer
Adept

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not the kind of bug I would expect to find in something which is past version 2.5
In old angband days, x.y.0 were supposed to be stable releases, and the ones in between were development releases.

In particular, from 2.7.1 to 2.7.9v6, most of the code was re-written.
So instead of 2.7.8, you should use 2.8.0 if you want to play a version from that time.
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2018, 19:12   #16
OverlySensitiveHalfTroll
Rookie

OverlySensitiveHalfTroll is on a distinguished road
Thanks a lot guys. It took some experimentation to learn how to sell for better prices. I started to notice that it's not worth too much because you find better items just diving down. [oh really, new guy?? really?? don't you tell me...] Selling is only worth to purchase/stockpile cheap items like Recalls/PhaseDoor or Potions of Speed (which are items that are not always available at the shops) I was having this idea that as a first-timer I would be better off playing older versions first for the "legit" experience, but I'm glad you guys educated me. The game is fine, I just had to learn it properly. Now, off to kill that bastard Hill Orc chief that seamlessly chugs away my arrows and resist most things xDDDDDDD