AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old April 6, 2011, 06:08   #1
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Non-gameplay Wishlist

While it's gameplay issues that tend to generate most heat and forum space, there has been a lot of quiet work done by the devteam in things like code cleanup and UI improvement.

So I thought it would be worth opening a thread for what new *bandish things people would like to see. I am not aiming this at the devteam - it's more a matter of throwing ideas around, and maybe getting more people invloved in contributing in some way.

Here are a random few for starters:
  • An iOS port. I don't have any iDevices that use it, but lots of people do, and I'm not aware of it being even looked at. The Android people are showing the way.
  • Game-Interface separation. This one is well underway, but the benefits are so great it's worth mentioning at every opportunity.
  • Unicode. Preferably UTF-8.
  • Steamband. Classic variant, needs an update and tile support.
  • Random names. The current random name generator uses a database of "Tolkien names". That's all good, but it would be nice to see one each for Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, etc.
Old April 6, 2011, 13:35   #2
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
[*]Steamband. Classic variant, needs an update and tile support.
Needs an UI update (maybe), and tile support (that's just me). I haven't played it in a while, but I don't recall Steam being cumbersome to play (like that awful Fangband competition). I know of a bug or two, and some UI things could certainly be done better, but I fear change. I'd hate to see core game play changed at all even though there are probably bits and pieces that could use improvement. Steamband has a special place in my heart, and I fear it moving down the path of the modern variant.
Old April 6, 2011, 17:06   #3
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
I have been thinking that it would be nice to have "per-race" name databases. I'd also like to have name databases for sentient monster races, so that you could eventually generate random unique and/or deity names that way.

Really, my larger interest is in procedural content generation in general. I'd love to see a variant using generated pantheons, mythologies, geographies, towns, road systems, dungeon types, climate, etc, etc.

Really I want an Angband variant that has almost a Dwarf Fortress ethos.
Old April 6, 2011, 19:02   #4
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
I'd like an option for a universal use command. This would allow me to use the freed-up keys for keymaps instead.
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2011, 22:35   #5
Core31
Rookie

Core31 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Core31
Though I try to teach myself C# during my spare time (working as doctor) I'm not (yet ;-) ) a developer. This takes a long time...I just realized that I've got this forum account for 4 years now... at least I believe this - I'm 35 now... :-/

Anyway, I would like to see more procedurally generated content, too. I like the concept of special rooms and even special levels. Weather effects for outside levels could add some additional flavor. The remark from d_m is quite interesting, bringing some elements from df could be fun.
Maybe sometime I'll be able to add some content, too - not only comments. ;-)

So long,
fab
Core31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011, 01:03   #6
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Needs an UI update (maybe), and tile support (that's just me). I haven't played it in a while, but I don't recall Steam being cumbersome to play (like that awful Fangband competition). I know of a bug or two, and some UI things could certainly be done better, but I fear change. I'd hate to see core game play changed at all even though there are probably bits and pieces that could use improvement. Steamband has a special place in my heart, and I fear it moving down the path of the modern variant.
I thought I heard that the Steamband maintainer was morally against tiles and forums.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011, 02:55   #7
nppangband
NPPAngband Maintainer

nppangband is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
I thought I heard that the Steamband maintainer was morally against tiles and forums.
True, Courtney (Steamband maintainer) hated tiles and sound so much he vowed to remove not only the supporting tilesets and .wav files but also the source code that supported it. So if he followed through on his promise merely adding a tileset won't help.
nppangband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2011, 03:41   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nppangband View Post
True, Courtney (Steamband maintainer) hated tiles and sound so much he vowed to remove not only the supporting tilesets and .wav files but also the source code that supported it. So if he followed through on his promise merely adding a tileset won't help.
OK, request withdrawn. It would be nice to see some of the other UI updates ported to Steam, though.