Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old August 15, 2020, 04:20   #141
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Effects with dice:x turns are actually lasting (x-1) turns, which means trying to set an effect with dice:1 actually does nothing. This is probably the reason why some temporary effects like stun disappear immediately since I think they are supposed to last one turn.

To fix this, I think decrease_timeouts() should be called before process_pending_commands() and not after so a duration of one turn actually lasts one turn.

Edit: this seems to work fine in PWMAngband after the change.
Sadly, process_pending_commands() is only in PWMAngband, inside process_player(); in V decrease_timeouts() happens inside process_world(), which is only called once every ten turns. Moreover, the PWMA game loop is quite different, and it's not clear to me exactly where I should move decrease_timeouts() to. My current thinking is in process_player() before the main do..while loop, but only on the tenth turn - do you think this sounds plausible?
Old August 25, 2020, 08:59   #142
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Sadly, process_pending_commands() is only in PWMAngband, inside process_player(); in V decrease_timeouts() happens inside process_world(), which is only called once every ten turns. Moreover, the PWMA game loop is quite different, and it's not clear to me exactly where I should move decrease_timeouts() to. My current thinking is in process_player() before the main do..while loop, but only on the tenth turn - do you think this sounds plausible?
The loop is different but the order should be roughly the same. Just move decrease_timeouts() before the code that checks for player input, since it should be where the timeouts are set.
Old August 27, 2020, 13:29   #143
Sphara
Swordsman

Sphara is on a distinguished road
So big poison breaths can destroy wands and staves now? Didn't know that but now that I know, I don't think it's a very good change.

This makes even more monsters dubious to fight. Well, at least for me, today was the last time I'm gonna fight a Spider of Gorgoroth ever.
Sphara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2020, 15:03   #144
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphara View Post
So big poison breaths can destroy wands and staves now?
Not that I'm aware of - and there's nothing in the code to indicate that would happen. What else was happening at the time?
Old August 27, 2020, 15:19   #145
Sphara
Swordsman

I lost some Constitution within the same attack. Got some message like "your skin itches" or something.

Gorgo spider was the only monster in the screen and it's poison breath was the only attack of the turn in question. "Your Staff of Banishment is destroyed!" was unfortunately one of the outcomes.

EDIT: oh, and I'm playing V 4.2.1. stable in angband.live. In case it matters.
Old August 27, 2020, 16:01   #146
Sideways
Knight

Sideways is on a distinguished road
The code specifies occasional acid damage (including acid inventory damage) from big poison attacks. The good news is that you can protect yourself from this, all you need is acid immunity.
Old August 27, 2020, 17:35   #147
Sphara
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
The code specifies occasional acid damage (including acid inventory damage) from big poison attacks. The good news is that you can protect yourself from this, all you need is acid immunity.
Gotcha. Wear Thorin shield from now on, or avoid poison breathers completely.

Doesn't make sense to me at all. But thanks for the info!
Old August 27, 2020, 20:47   #148
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
Carry !rPoison for monsters like Ungoliant, and you should never see this effect. Max damage is only 266--most characters have more than enough HP to avoid secondary effects at this level of damage.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2020, 21:21   #149
Sphara
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
Carry !rPoison for monsters like Ungoliant, and you should never see this effect. Max damage is only 266--most characters have more than enough HP to avoid secondary effects at this level of damage.
Yeah. I'll keep this in mind if I have rPois spell or I am wearing Colluin. My late game inventory usually doesn't have space for things like potions of resist poison. I'll rather just ignore poison breathers.
Old August 27, 2020, 23:14   #150
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Oh right, yes, that Clearly my memory is fading...

It's an uncommon side-effect from big poison breathers - not as much as being hit by an actual acid attack.