Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 16, 2020, 09:49   #21
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
I vote for changing them to 1d100000 to maximize the delicious anguish of people feeling like they are getting jipped.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2020, 00:13   #22
Voovus
Adept

Voovus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post

As i already stated, i think !xp give too much xp when you are at their native depth. And at DL98 there is rarely a level that doesn't have at least 1 !xp on it. When you gotta do 600k xp to go from 49 to 50, most of it will come from !xp rather than from mobs.
At CL49 a greater wyrm is generally around 20k xp. And they are less common than !xp potions!! Your typical dungeon level will have maybe 5/6 wyrms and 1-2 potions.

Obviously you got your balrog pits and wyrm cities, but those are not farmable *as easily* and will likely get ignored, destroyed or banished.
Mayhap the problem lies in insufficient monster exp, rather than an overflow of potion exp.
Voovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2020, 16:45   #23
whartung
Apprentice

whartung is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voovus View Post
Mayhap the problem lies in insufficient monster exp, rather than an overflow of potion exp.
It's part and parcel to the idiom that the game deep down is a game of avoiding monsters and not confronting them.

I recently teleported away, like, a dozen Beholder kin. Effective, but not very satisfying to be honest. May as well use the TO charges than have them suck 'em out.
whartung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2020, 20:44   #24
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
It sounds like early !exp are very fun, but in the lategame it seems a bit sad for some people to get the bulk of their xp from them.

Perhaps they could be rare but possible to find in the early game, and extremely rare in the later game? If there are genuinely 1-2 !xp showing up per floor past, say, DL80, I could see a situation where finding one every 5-10 floors might be fun, but not excessive.

(Did this potion increase in availability lately? I haven't played V in a long time, but I certainly don't remember finding very many of them when I was grinding up to player level 50.)
Old September 17, 2020, 20:56   #25
drquicksilver
Scout

drquicksilver is on a distinguished road
I feel like it is not really that much. In my last game I did level 46-50 in several rapid passes of 4900’ and 4850’. That’s a few million xp and I think it was six or seven potions of experience. A nice boost but a long way under “most”. It seemed fine to me.
drquicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2020, 23:28   #26
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
What drquick said. You just don't find enough !EXP for it to help you advance much after CL35. Yes, it's a nice boost. No, it isn't any better than a group of chaos hounds for a player with the Oakenshield.*

* and why this is made of metal in the game is...a mystery.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2020, 10:59   #27
Werbaer
Adept

Werbaer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
the Oakenshield.*

From the LotR wiki:
At some point in the fighting, his shield broke, and using an oaken tree branch found on the floor as a shield, he gained the epithet "Oakenshield"

I assume Angband includes his shield before it was broken, not the wooden branch.
Werbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2020, 11:04   #28
Huqhox
Adept

Huqhox is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
What drquick said. You just don't find enough !EXP for it to help you advance much after CL35. Yes, it's a nice boost. No, it isn't any better than a group of chaos hounds for a player with the Oakenshield.*

1. I find their rarity spot on - still rare enough to be a nice find even deep in the dungeon. I certainly get the vast majority of my experience from killing monsters

2. The Thorin Oakenshield thing has been brought up before. According to the Appendices to LOTR, he got his name when he lost his shield in battle and picked up an oak branch and used that instead. So it's just just name, rather than a description of his equipment

Edit: You beat me to it Werbaer. And with the exact quote too. Hat well and truly doffed
Edited again for spelling. Typing is not my forte today
Old September 18, 2020, 14:01   #29
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werbaer View Post
From the LotR wiki:
At some point in the fighting, his shield broke, and using an oaken tree branch found on the floor as a shield, he gained the epithet "Oakenshield"

I assume Angband includes his shield before it was broken, not the wooden branch.
.. did you reply to the wrong thread?

by the way, the shield of Thorin Oakenshield .. is Thorin's shield. NOT Thorin's oak branch. i.e the shield that the guy who once used a oak branch as a shield, uses as shield.