Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old August 12, 2020, 20:06   #1
Quirk
Swordsman

Quirk is on a distinguished road
Sil-Q 1.5 beta, second release

Release is at https://github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/r.../v1.5.0-beta1b. The changes for this release are focused entirely on the new tileset. Thanks go out again to MicroChasm for the work on the tileset and Infinitum for providing valuable testing feedback.

Windows binaries are at https://github.com/sil-quirk/sil-q/r....5.0-beta2.zip.

Please download it and try it out.
Quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2020, 07:46   #2
Wiwaxia
Rookie

Wiwaxia is on a distinguished road
Coming back to Sil after a bit of a break and happy to see there's new Sil-Q updates!

I'm trying my Elbereth-Delvings-Thresholds build again, and I've found a bugged interaction between _imprisonment and Song of Thresholds.
Using _imprisonment on a door warded with thresholds sometimes (not always) turns it into a grey "1" that is passable, cannot be closed like a door, and cannot be inspected/targeted with [l]ook.

Screenshots (I'm not sure how to add an html screenshot directly to a post, so I uploaded them with more detailed descriptions to the gallery):
screenshot 1
follow-up after using _imprisonment a couple more times

Also, I think I mentioned this a while back, but it would be nice to have the ascii colors of warded doors more intuitively show their strength. Maybe something like purple < blue < light blue; brighter = stronger makes visual sense (and matches the tiles), and bright blue is already associated with good things like slays and mithril. It might be a bit confusing for purple to go from strongest to weakest, and you lose the ability to have different colors for illuminated vs. non-illuminated warded doors, but I think it's worth it for visual clarity overall.

edit. Didn't get a screenshot of it, but did just confirm _imprisonment changing the color/strength of a warded door from green to blue, after a couple uses doing nothing

Last edited by Wiwaxia; September 8, 2020 at 07:53.
Wiwaxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2020, 09:06   #3
Quirk
Swordsman

Ah that's a very useful bug report, thanks. Will look into that.
Old September 8, 2020, 15:12   #4
Wiwaxia
Rookie

Wiwaxia is on a distinguished road
I also noticed that _freedom disarms your own wards (haven't tested with song of freedom yet). Is this intentional/desired behavior? I could see an argument either way from both gameplay and flavor perspectives, but I thought I'd ask.

edit: song of freedom does not appear to disarm your own wards.

Last edited by Wiwaxia; September 8, 2020 at 18:19.
Wiwaxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2020, 20:33   #5
Quirk
Swordsman

I have a fix on the Linux build pushed now. I had a brief look at the ASCII colours, but the darker blue seems to me not strong enough to stand out well with the player close to it.

If you'd like to try different variations to see if you agree and come to your own conclusions, the file lib/edit/terrain.txt is fairly easy to edit - lines 75 to 86 contain the description of warded doors. The lines starting G: describe the graphics used in the form:
G:+:<colour>
where g and G are dark and light green, b and B dark and light blue, v violet and w white. Lines 22 to 26 give the rest of the colour options. Green is currently used as the traditional colour of Sil wards but I'm open to exploring the options.

I think it's best if the song and the staff are consistent - I'm changing the staff's behaviour to match the song in this regard.
Old September 18, 2020, 22:39   #6
backwardsEric
Apprentice

backwardsEric is on a distinguished road
Inconsistent notes in the tutorial

In 1.5 beta, the tutorial note outside the forge says "Find the forge through this door and create a Ring of Frost." The first note in the next room towards the end of the tutorial says "The amulet you made grants an Ability called Keen Senses, linked to the Perception skill."
backwardsEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2020, 11:52   #7
Quirk
Swordsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardsEric View Post
In 1.5 beta, the tutorial note outside the forge says "Find the forge through this door and create a Ring of Frost." The first note in the next room towards the end of the tutorial says "The amulet you made grants an Ability called Keen Senses, linked to the Perception skill."
Good catch. Will correct.