Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old August 19, 2013, 12:20   #11
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
Of any two *consecutive* triangular numbers.
*facepalm*

That's what I meant...
Old August 19, 2013, 12:27   #12
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
That is really cool. For anyone who doesn't believe me, note that a parabola is the graph of y = x, and the sum of any two triangular numbers is a square
Indeed, if you draw out all the combinations of rolls you and your opponent could get, then form a square (either 10x10 or 20x20). I'll illustrate with a little 6x6 one to save space. The chances of hitting are illustrated with 'o' and missing with '.'. The horizontal axis is the defender's roll. The vertical is the attacker's roll. The chances of hitting literally start as increasing triangles until they clip the edges, then the chances of missing are decreasing triangles. Hopefully that will make it more intuitive for some people.

Code:
1......   ......   ......   ......   ......   o.....   oo....   ooo...   etc
2......   ......   ......   ......   o.....   oo....   ooo...   oooo..   
3......   ......   ......   o.....   oo....   ooo...   oooo..   ooooo.   
4......   ......   o.....   oo....   ooo...   oooo..   ooooo.   oooooo   
5......   o.....   oo....   ooo...   oooo..   ooooo.   oooooo   oooooo   
6o.....   oo....   ooo...   oooo..   ooooo.   oooooo   oooooo   oooooo
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013, 13:04   #13
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Yes, I do like the system. I am very happy that you didn't spoil it by introducing automatic hits on a rolled 20 (as a lot of table top RPGs do) - so you allow different styles to prosper although every style hits limits by different kind of opponents. But looking at the tables you realize how amazing a -1, 2d5 mithril corslet of resilience really is
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013, 14:24   #14
kryft
Rookie

kryft is on a distinguished road
I've been writing a little tool for myself that basically takes a char dump and the name of a monster (the tool reads monster.txt) and spits out two probability distributions, one for the melee damage dealt by the player to the monster in a single turn and another for the melee damage dealt by the monster to the player. The tool is written in Haskell using the probabilistic functional programming library, which means that if you use it interactively from within the interpreter, you can easily compute probabilities for arbitrary events.

For example,

meVsWarg <- fight "kryft.txt" "Warg"
(> 10) ?? (defend meVsWarg)
mean (attack meVsWarg)

would pit the character in "kryft.txt" against a warg and then calculate the probability that the warg would deal more than 10 points of damage with a single attack (taking into account both the possibility of missing and the possibility of getting extra dice from criticals).

I wrote this for myself for fun, but looking at this thread it occurred to me that perhaps others might be interested too. I'm happy to share the code if anyone else wants to play with it. It's not quite finished yet (but should be soon), and it's a bit simplistic; for example, the distributions are for a single attack, so it doesn't need to consider player or monster speed. I'm going to take brands and resistances/vulnerabilities into account automatically, as well as certain player abilities that are always active, but I will most likely ignore abilities that give situational bonuses, such as Dodging or Concentration.

You shouldn't need to know any Haskell to use it (at least if I write a readme), and installing the Haskell platform is easy on windows, mac and linux. I suppose I could also make a command line executable that takes a char dump and a monster name and outputs the distributions (and some statistics and maybe the CDFs) as text; this could even be distributed as a binary for people who don't want to install anything.

Last edited by kryft; August 19, 2013 at 14:32.
kryft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2013, 14:36   #15
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I would like to see this code!
Old August 20, 2013, 22:28   #16
taptap
Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
I would like to see this code!
How you have a kryft signature when this was the first post of kryft here? You are talking about Sil somewhere else?
Old August 21, 2013, 10:31   #17
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
How you have a kryft signature when this was the first post of kryft here? You are talking about Sil somewhere else?
Sprung!

Actually kryft has an amazing comment history now. A good joke and a useful Sil-related program (in my favourite language!), all with just one post!
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2013, 17:39   #18
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by taptap View Post
You are talking about Sil somewhere else?
##sil, although "talking about sil" is sort of a stretch description of what goes on there

EDIT: also i am disappointed that you didn't credit me in your sig, no one has any academic integrity these days
Old August 21, 2013, 21:25   #19
taptap
Knight

Quote:
##sil, although "talking about sil" is sort of a stretch description of what goes on there

EDIT: also i am disappointed that you didn't credit me in your sig, no one has any academic integrity these days
I thought everyone knows that this quote is original debo. I admittedly still don't really understand what ##sil is supposed to be.
Old August 21, 2013, 21:57   #20
HallucinationMushroom
Knight

HallucinationMushroom is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Ha! Well, in that case, I want proper AP citation style for some of your ladder characters.

Mushroom, H. (2012). The artistry start: Simplification through smithing. The Roguelike Gazetteer, 3(1), 17-21.
HallucinationMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote