AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Sil

Old October 11, 2013, 21:17   #51
Psi
Knight

Psi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFish View Post
Speaking of forged items draining stats, I think Gondolin and Doriath weapons shouldn't drain 2 strength. It costs 11 smithing to make a longsword of Gondolin, which is in range of a beginner smithing build, but the cost of 2 str isn't in range, so nobody will build such a weapon while it's clearly useful, before you're likely to have found one in the dungeon. I think to encourage the seldom-used Weaponsmith ability, maybe the enchanted weapons could ease up on the stat drains.
I think there is a good point in there. I don't think I have *ever* forged an enchanted weapon. The cost in terms of stats in the timeframe it is useful is just too high.
Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2013, 09:33   #52
Patashu
Knight

Patashu is on a distinguished road
Maybe 'running cuts corners' could be a toggleable, like how auto-pickup has a toggle button in the current version?
Old October 12, 2013, 10:09   #53
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I think there is a good point in there. I don't think I have *ever* forged an enchanted weapon. The cost in terms of stats in the timeframe it is useful is just too high.
Agree with bluefish and psi. I am a big fan of diverse slaying spears and swords of final rest, but it never was an option to make one myself. Often you might find restoration or a strength potion relatively early in game but I never identify them until later, especially the first restoration herb I eat usually without identifying it. At that point in the game you are almost guaranteed to find a few slaying weapons anyway.

The only early enchantments I have commonly seen on the ladder are smithing, brilliance (grace -> lembas and grace much easier to survive anyway), sprinting and the "minor improvement enchantments" (protection etc.). I.e. non-stat-draining enchantments with the exception of brilliance.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2013, 19:37   #54
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
Went down a shaft and found myself in a level where every corridor leading off the room I was in had some darkness thing that released spores. Fired all my arrows into one of them and it didn't budge so had to try to melee it with obvious consequences.

Was there any way out of that situation or just bad luck?
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2013, 20:11   #55
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
If you have decent con and a big weapon, you can often kill shadow molds in a couple of hits. If you get a bad first hit, back off and rest up before trying again. Charge makes this easier - even power will help.
Old October 27, 2013, 00:26   #56
taptap
Knight

taptap is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJS View Post
Went down a shaft and found myself in a level where every corridor leading off the room I was in had some darkness thing that released spores. Fired all my arrows into one of them and it didn't budge so had to try to melee it with obvious consequences.

Was there any way out of that situation or just bad luck?
Yes, there always is the stair/shaft you came from.

And try longbows.
taptap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013, 04:30   #57
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
If you have decent con and a big weapon, you can often kill shadow molds in a couple of hits. If you get a bad first hit, back off and rest up before trying again. Charge makes this easier - even power will help.
Are they weaker under bright light? or is it just a coincidence that they've always seemed to go down easier when I can actually see them.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013, 08:38   #58
half
Knight

half is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Are they weaker under bright light? or is it just a coincidence that they've always seemed to go down easier when I can actually see them.
You are severely penalised when fighting something you can't see (melee and evasion are halved).
half is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013, 09:33   #59
Scatha
Swordsman

Scatha is on a distinguished road
In this case the evasion penalty won't matter, of course.

I think the spores are also a darkness attack, so you get resistance according to the level of light on your square.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013, 10:50   #60
kryft
Rookie

kryft is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatha View Post
In this case the evasion penalty won't matter, of course.

I think the spores are also a darkness attack, so you get resistance according to the level of light on your square.
Yes, this is correct. (I looked it up in the source at some point to get it right in fsil. Clearly it's crucial to get shadow mold damage right.)
kryft is offline   Reply With Quote