AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 1, 2021, 23:37   #1
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
a couple questions

Do Hobbits still get a bonus with slings?
(and if not, why not?)
It doesn't say anything about that in the manual.

What happened to scrolls of door & stair detection? Those can be useful. Sometimes it takes a while to find the stairs.

I like almost all the changes that have been made since I stopped playing several years ago*, but I'm wondering if Nick has considered rebalancing the weapons. A dagger shouldn't be a better weapon than a cutlass (except maybe for a Hobbit Rogue like my current character).

(*It's neat to see some of the things I had in my old variant have been implemented in Vanilla: throwing weapons, more room shapes, passable rubble, um, I think there was something else I forgot too. I don't know why there's lava in the town though. Where is this town?)

My old variant DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2021, 00:08   #2
Selkie
Adept

Selkie is on a distinguished road
To answer your questions

The town is Pompeii
Hobbits get no bonus with sling, they ain't David let's stick to the canon
If you're too weak to lift a weapon it makes sense a lighter weapon deals more blows - things change in the end game
Scrolls of door stair location sound a bit like scrolls of mapping, only without the mapping. Don't complain or you'll nerf it
Selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2021, 05:51   #3
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
To answer your questions

If you're too weak to lift a weapon it makes sense a lighter weapon deals more blows - things change in the end game
It is the opposite in the game though - if you are weak, you want the heaviest weapon you can wield (for more damage with your 1 blow), but if youre strong, you want the dagger since strength grants multiple blows with light weapons and the damage bonus is additive.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2021, 07:24   #4
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Another thing I noticed: Is it me, or is there significantly more monsters with acidic attacks now? There's even an ant that spits acid? that's annoying.

http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)
Old March 2, 2021, 23:35   #5
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

I found a vault with the Balrog of Moria. I'm not quite tough enough to beat him yet, but I was thinking I'd try to lure him away from the vault so I could loot it. Then I found a scroll of Banishment, so I banished "U"s but it didn't work. The balrog is still there. What happened? Does banishment not work on uniques or something?

Old March 2, 2021, 23:44   #6
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
I found a vault with the Balrog of Moria. I'm not quite tough enough to beat him yet, but I was thinking I'd try to lure him away from the vault so I could loot it. Then I found a scroll of Banishment, so I banished "U"s but it didn't work. The balrog is still there. What happened? Does banishment not work on uniques or something?
That's right, banishment does not work on uniques - the confusing thing being that the priest spell Banish Evil teleports away all evil monsters in line of sight, including uniques.
Old March 3, 2021, 00:09   #7
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Fortunately, I was still able to lure the Balrog far enough away to be able to loot the vault. (Where among other things, I found a wand of Teleport Other which would've been useful...)

Another question: Didn't we used to be able to carry 99 arrows in one slot? Why can we only carry 40 per slot now?

Old March 3, 2021, 00:23   #8
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
Another question: Didn't we used to be able to carry 99 arrows in one slot? Why can we only carry 40 per slot now?
That was changed in 3.4 - maybe as a late balance to the introduction of the quiver (3.1.2). Certainly there was a feeling around that time that the game had become too easy, and there was a bunch of rebalancing done over 3.3, 3.4 and 3.5.
Old March 3, 2021, 05:06   #9
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Just checked my dumps. Apparently the last version of vanilla I played (before the last few days anyway) was 3.1.1.
DaJAngband had a quiver first!

Old March 3, 2021, 07:35   #10
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

'nother question: Where's the option to turn tiles off?
(apparently making the slightest little tweak breaks a lot of tiles.)