Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old March 14, 2015, 20:11   #1
Tibarius
Swordsman

Tibarius is an unknown quantity at this point
priest healing prayers

I find it very confusing that the healing prayers do not heal % from total HPs but % of wounds. That way you must always calculate new how much HPs the spell will heal (and mostly it will be the Minimum amount anyway).

Maybe Change that in the future so that it heals a certain amount of HPs dependent on the Maximum HPs.
Tibarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 11:28   #2
quarague
Swordsman

quarague is on a distinguished road
This is made so deliberately, the heal spell is the only exception. The reason is that the low level health potions and spells should become obsolete in the late game. Otherwise the low level potions are two powerful in the late game and there is no real reason to use the much rarer high level ones.
quarague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 14:10   #3
Tibarius
Swordsman

re: quaraque

Sorry, even after reading your reply a 2nd time i cannot figure out what you are saying.

Why would the low Level healing spells not be obsolete once better spells are available, if they would heal % of total HPs instead of % of damaged HPs?

Currenlty only 2 spells look relevant for me ... 300 hp heal from book 4 and the 2000 hp heal from one of the advanced books. The rest is only used by me as Long as those two are not available.
Old March 15, 2015, 14:25   #4
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
It's a question of efficiency. The really big offender was Cure Light Wounds, which in the late game was healing like 60-80 HP per cast for 1 mana, and in previous versions was also available to mages and rogues. So you'd Phase Door away from the fight, spam Cure Light Wounds three or four times, and it'd be like you'd cast a much more expensive and exclusive Heal spell.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 18:19   #5
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
That could be sorted with a max value, or even make the lower spells a hp range.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2015, 18:45   #6
Tibarius
Swordsman

re: efficiency

The way i played my priests Efficiency is no Problem, because i was almost never out of mana. So instead to spam CLW i could have spammed the 300hp heal a dozens times in a row.

the % healed could be adjusted
the % healed could be modified according to the Player's Level (up or down)
a couple of healing spells could be eliminated at all

Edit: I think i would prefer a fixed range ... like
CLW heals 10-30 HP
CSW heals 20-50 HP
CCW heals 50-150 HP
and so on ... no more calculating how much HPs are healed with a complex formula like ... MIN(35% of (MAX HP-CUR HP),300)
Old March 15, 2015, 23:43   #7
mushroom patch
Swordsman

mushroom patch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hm, hasn't it been this way for quite a while?

re: obsolescence, it seems to me that ccw remains useful for speedrunning throughout the game -- it's always a strong alternative to resting.
mushroom patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2015, 13:52   #8
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroom patch View Post
Hm, hasn't it been this way for quite a while?

re: obsolescence, it seems to me that ccw remains useful for speedrunning throughout the game -- it's always a strong alternative to resting.
Potions are always a strong alternative to resting, as is CLW; the problem is when CLW remains useful in a combat context even in the late game. For that matter, CCW potions remain an essential part of my kit for most or even all of the game, depending on if I ever manage to piece together equipment that covers both pBlind and pConf.

And yeah, CLW et al got nerfed in...3.2? Somewhere around there.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2015, 07:40   #9
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
CCW potions remain an essential part of my kit for most or even all of the game, depending on if I ever manage to piece together equipment that covers both pBlind and pConf.
I keep them as long as I don't have all three, pConf, pBlind and pStun. Stunning is quite common, gravity, impact, plasma, and couple of melee-attacks can cause it. I don't want to risk KO, so I always drink CCW after getting "stun" status (unless there is an option to get out of LoS with my next move).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote