AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old May 6, 2020, 07:34   #41
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spara View Post
Yup, I noticed that one. It's a bit fuzzy, looks too much like an apeman and is kind of partial (can't find a better word, I mean that the right side of the creature is sort of thinner). Where does it originate from? It's not from the Gervais set, right? Maybe just taking a bear and emphasizing it someway might be the best solution.
To each his own.. I love this bear and it feels proper for Beorn. I don't see where did you found an ape there or why it's fuzzy to you. It's bear standing on hind legs; it's how bears do typically; and especially it's right for Beorn. You can't mix up it with other bears, as it's standing. I don't recall where I took it; from DCSS I suppose.

Of couse, you are welcome to create your own version of tileset The more different tilesets - the merrier.

Considering your bear - it's head not bear's at all. It had pointy ears, red eyes.. More like a gremlin to me. No offence I'm big bear lover myself, it's my favorite animals, so it's pretty important topic to me (as you could notice at the avatar lol)
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 07:59   #42
spara
Adept

spara is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangar View Post
To each his own.. I love this bear and it feels proper for Beorn. I don't see where did you found an ape there or why it's fuzzy to you. It's bear standing on hind legs; it's how bears do typically; and especially it's right for Beorn. You can't mix up it with other bears, as it's standing. I don't recall where I took it; from DCSS I suppose.

Of couse, you are welcome to create your own version of tileset The more different tilesets - the merrier.

Considering your bear - it's head not bear's at all. It had pointy ears, red eyes.. More like a gremlin to me. No offence I'm big bear lover myself, it's my favorite animals, so it's pretty important topic to me (as you could notice at the avatar lol)
I'm terribly sorry, if I offended you. Did not mean to do that in any way. And you are absolutely right that these are matters of an opinion. You've done quite a job here in putting basically all Gervais work into one set, finessing the set and even adding more tiles from other sources.

And yes, as I said, my mock up is one ugly bear indeed. More of as werewolf to be honest . What I had in mind there was trying to find some resemblance between different forms of Bearn, not showing off in any way.
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2020, 08:02   #43
spara
Adept

And just to humour you a bit, here's my second try Name:  beorn.png
Views: 60
Size:  3.9 KB
Old May 6, 2020, 08:10   #44
tangar
Knight

Np, we are good Of couse, there could be done a lot of improvements in different monsters. So having several different tilsets is good, as from each one could be taken the best stuff. Atm I'm plundering new version DCSS tileset https://crawl.develz.org/download.htm . Before I used old version (~5 y.o.), new one got loads of cool stuff
Old May 6, 2020, 08:27   #45
spara
Adept

Quote:
Np, we are good Of couse, there could be done a lot of improvements in different monsters. So having several different tilsets is good, as from each one could be taken the best stuff. Atm I'm plundering new version DCSS tileset https://crawl.develz.org/download.htm . Before I used old version (~5 y.o.), new one got loads of cool stuff
Indeed. I have not looked at dcss tiles in detail earlier. Thanks for the tip. There's a nice grey bear in both versions. The older is a bit more intimidating though. The sort of annoying difference when comparing to the Gervais tiles is the more clean look in Gervais tiles. There's a lot more dithering used in the dcss tiles. Can't really complain here though, can't really produce anything like these without a massive amount of time.
Old May 9, 2020, 14:28   #46
spara
Adept

The amount of time one can sink into tweaking tiles approaches infinity. But it's very addicting. I just could not leave Beorn be and especially after looking at the DCSS tiles and seeing that black bear there. Not exactly Gervais style, but close enough. Gervais tiles are more clean with less colors in a tile and very limited use of dithering. Anyways, here's my final Bear-Beorn edited from the older DCSS black bear. Just wanted to share it. For inspiration, if nothing else
Name:  beorn.png
Views: 44
Size:  2.6 KB
Old May 9, 2020, 17:21   #47
tangar
Knight

Great bear! I'll be glad to include it to Tangaria's tileset if you do not have an objection
Old May 9, 2020, 17:27   #48
spara
Adept

Quote:
Great bear! I'll be glad to include it to Tangaria's tileset if you do not have an objection
Thanks and go ahead
Old May 9, 2020, 19:13   #49
tangar
Knight

Done, thanks! It will live in forests and will be a cute grizzly Soon you will be able to meet this bear in Hunter's Valley (Tangaria starting location) or near to the Bree
Old May 12, 2020, 13:57   #50
spara
Adept

This is probably old news to you, but have you checked the Working Tiles from the old TomeTik website. On top of mixable head/body/clothing selections there are some versions of bears and wolves that are not in the "official" tiles.