Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 18, 2020, 00:25   #371
DavidMedley
Knight
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 618
DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
I don't expect this suggestion to be popular, but I think selling should be on by default. I've gotten a few new players into the game in the last several months and they all ask me about why they can't sell items for more than $0. I don't mind that experienced players think no_sell is the better way to play, but I really don't think it should be the default for people who don't even know how to change the birth options.

Might as well make "show effective speed as a multiplier" default for the same reason.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020, 03:04   #372
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 8,264
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
I don't expect this suggestion to be popular, but I think selling should be on by default. I've gotten a few new players into the game in the last several months and they all ask me about why they can't sell items for more than $0. I don't mind that experienced players think no_sell is the better way to play, but I really don't think it should be the default for people who don't even know how to change the birth options.
And once you tell them, then they know

Many long-time players (me included) were sceptical about no-selling before it was made the default, and it has been pretty much universally acknowledged that it is a big improvement to gameplay. I think setting it as not the default is sending the wrong signals (especially to new players) as to what is important in the game. There was a period where Angband was derided as the "game of shopping", where a large part of the game consisted of wandering the dungeon slowed to -2 or -3 so you could lug around the latest collection of useless ego weapons to sell in the shops. I'd rather not go back to that.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020, 03:31   #373
DavidMedley
Knight
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 618
DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Many long-time players (me included) were sceptical about no-selling before it was made the default.
I know that history, and I'm glad some or most players are enjoying the game more on no-sell. But it's very counter-intuitive. New players are confused by it. Conceding that no-sell is much better, a moderately experienced player can choose it when he discovers birth options.

But another way to go about it would be to have explanatory text somewhere. I can't tell every new player about the rules of no-sell!
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020, 03:41   #374
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 8,264
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
I know that history, and I'm glad some or most players are enjoying the game more on no-sell. But it's very counter-intuitive. New players are confused by it. Conceding that no-sell is much better, a moderately experienced player can choose it when he discovers birth options.
The problem is, though, that the beginning player has already learned to value getting stuff and selling it, and it's quite addictive - "1500AU for a weapon I would never use - that's great! Next time I'll get 5!". And it gets repeatedly reinforced, so that the player will make inventory decisions which are ultimately bad (being overburdened, leaving too few slots for useful items) because of the drive to bring back more stuff to sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidMedley View Post
But another way to go about it would be to have explanatory text somewhere. I can't tell every new player about the rules of no-sell!
That's fair - where do you think is the best place to put such an explanation? Players' tendency to read useful explanations varies...
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020, 04:57   #375
EpicMan
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Posts: 422
EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
That's fair - where do you think is the best place to put such an explanation? Players' tendency to read useful explanations varies...
Maybe mention it the first time a player visits a shop, or the first time they sell an item.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020, 05:21   #376
DavidMedley
Knight
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 618
DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicMan View Post
Maybe mention it the first time a player visits a shop, or the first time they sell an item.
First time they try to sell an item is a very good idea. Like when they press d and before or simultaneous to seeing they're gonna get 0AU for their loot. Much better than their first few turns in the town when there's a lot to take in.

Useful on the first play, but is there a way to make it not annoying on the fifty-first play?
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020, 05:48   #377
mrfy
Adept
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 209
mrfy is on a distinguished road
And point out the benefits of no-selling. Extra $$ on drops and treasure in walls.
mrfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020, 07:55   #378
spara
Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 223
spara is on a distinguished road
In my opinion as a game mechanic no-selling is better than selling. Makes the game much more streamlined. However it's quite illogical in a game world where there are shops around and more so in a genre where looting and selling is considered to be a cornerstone of some sort. Is there a reason for balancing the no-selling option by increasing the amount of money found in the dungeon instead of just allowing players to quick sell loot in the dungeon?
spara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020, 08:15   #379
PowerWyrm
Prophet
 
PowerWyrm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,753
PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
And once you tell them, then they know

Many long-time players (me included) were sceptical about no-selling before it was made the default, and it has been pretty much universally acknowledged that it is a big improvement to gameplay. I think setting it as not the default is sending the wrong signals (especially to new players) as to what is important in the game. There was a period where Angband was derided as the "game of shopping", where a large part of the game consisted of wandering the dungeon slowed to -2 or -3 so you could lug around the latest collection of useless ego weapons to sell in the shops. I'd rather not go back to that.
We were having a discussion for PWMAngband about no-selling and the amount of cash you get from enhanced coin piles. The result was that a linear distribution was not working at all, as you get way too much money in the beginning by simply wandering the first few levels, getting like 2-3k in seconds, recalling and simply buying everything you need for half the game (almost), and then getting way too few in the endgame to get a couple exceptional items that would show up in the Black Market. Maybe change the formula (plain factor 5) to something more gradual?
__________________
PWMAngband variant maintainer - check http://powerwyrm.monsite-orange.fr (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
PowerWyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2020, 08:28   #380
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 54
Posts: 8,264
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
We were having a discussion for PWMAngband about no-selling and the amount of cash you get from enhanced coin piles. The result was that a linear distribution was not working at all, as you get way too much money in the beginning by simply wandering the first few levels, getting like 2-3k in seconds, recalling and simply buying everything you need for half the game (almost), and then getting way too few in the endgame to get a couple exceptional items that would show up in the Black Market. Maybe change the formula (plain factor 5) to something more gradual?
Maybe make the multiplier 2 or 3 + (player level / 5)?
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Current master post-4.1.3 Nick Vanilla 505 June 16, 2019 00:26
Suggestion for Rangers (repost from master-post thread) Thraalbee Vanilla 1 April 13, 2019 18:08
Issues on current master Nick Vanilla 277 June 18, 2017 22:30
Bugs and complaints on current master Nick Vanilla 588 April 27, 2017 22:54
Master Thief Grotug Idle chatter 1 March 26, 2017 23:54


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 18:46.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.