AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old September 2, 2007, 13:51   #21
ajps
Apprentice

ajps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
I don't think they are a problem and I don't think you can solve that problem, whatever you do, for some weak races/classes until mid-game (short of a radical diminishing encumberance penalty and/or the effect of STR on it).
I know you don't think they're a problem, or you wouldn't have mentioned it. I was just noting that it's a designed-in, at least mostly intentional problem, and so one other people (well, me, at least) consider part of the character of the game. Those carefully assigned carrying capacities and number of slots are suddenly much less important if you can store things for later. That's not a bad thing in itself, but I think that it would remove a distinguishing feature from Angband.

The only situation you've described where the equipment is lost and it isn't through a player choosing not to carry it is when you lose a load of loot by being teleported off the level before you've had a chance to look at it. There are only 6 monsters capable of teleporting you off-level before you've dealt with loot - Three uniques, three general monsters (well, one is a unique version of one of the races, Draebor the Imp).

I think that semi-permanent levels and all the hoarding that can go along with it are a bit too much of a sledgehammer to crack that nut. I'd prefer having the ability taken away from the races and left with the uniques, or have it removed altogether, if it's really a problem that needs solving.

Note that I'm counting falling through trapdoors as a choice. It annoys me, but trap detection is considered important enough to have stopped V from getting circular detection spells for years. Trapdoors without penalties like losing loot are hardly traps at all.

Quote:
P.S. I really like inventory management, so the decision if in the incoming fight I'd rather use Arvedui or a Lance with ESP or both at the cost of -2 to speed is fun to me. But insurance accounting and storage risk management is not what I look for in high fantasy games...
The choices the game enforces are currently pretty simple - carry it, or you're likely to lose it. The insurance worries come from trying to hedge your bets by stashing things for later - if you just decide to stick with your decisions and carry your kit then you can play with more freedom. After all, if you're on a level and are so certain of survival that barring accidents you're going to be able to pick up something later, why aren't you deeper and fighting for your life anyway?
ajps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2007, 21:27   #22
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajps View Post
Those carefully assigned carrying capacities and number of slots are suddenly much less important if you can store things for later.
First, again, I agree carrying capacities and slots are well balanced and fun as far as choosing what to use in combat and what to leave at home or in stash. In particular the small races/classes are more restricted here and it's OK. And neither stashes no larger home threatens that balance. Unless you count rangers standing over a pile of arrows --- but I hope it doesn't work and for other reasons than trap doors or teleport level.

However, I think the same restrictions wrt. amount you can haul back home or store at home are 1. only a fraction of the fun 2. not well balanced (home is too small after JLE patch, sets and most variants additions and there is very little interesting tactics in managing stashes and bad UI, comparing e.g. with Crawl where you even have a goto stash command).

Quote:
That's not a bad thing in itself, but I think that it would remove a distinguishing feature from Angband.
I think a limited combat backpack is a distinguishing and very good feature, while risky stashes and (too) limited home are marginal, let alone not fun for some people in the long run.

Quote:
I think that semi-permanent levels and all the hoarding that can go along with it[...]
I've not played Heng, so if this is the case, perhaps semi-permanent are not as good as I think. Still, perhaps the hoarding can be solved in another way --- perhaps even sorting the stash by price can help a lot, or perhaps make the levels even less permanent --- only 2 levels ever kept permanent, or perhaps add some danger by going through already used stairs, like monsters gathering around them and taking a free round of atacks, etc.

I usually keep one, maximally two stashes, and only with very weak races, and it does not feel like hoarding. Otherwise I'd have to WOR back home every half a level and it feels no warrior-like and is boring (all this shopping all over again). I don't stash things to use them later, except perhaps food, torches and a heavy pick; I only stash new-found loot. I'm not sure if semi-permanent levels would change me into a hoarder, since I can only get 20 items back to town, anyway...

Quote:
I'd prefer having the ability taken away from the races and left with the uniques, or have it removed altogether, if it's really a problem that needs solving.
For me it is, but there is another cure --- teleport level taking 2 turns, as in Un. Or I've heard Nexus resist helps, but it's hard to get early in some variants. But I wouldn't cry if teleport level is removed from monsters' arsenal. Even if you don't lose any items, it just breaks the battle at a random point and it's frustrating on its own. It's like ancient dragon off-screen breath at DL3, only you don't die, but stand powerless. Stupid, and this is why we don't (usually) have ancient dragons on DL3. I also wouldn't mind removing trap doors --- there are so many interesting traps to be imported from variants that pose more risk, battle-rage, tactics, and less powerless frustration and fatalism.

Quote:
The insurance worries come from trying to hedge your bets by stashing things for later - if you just decide to stick with your decisions and carry your kit then you can play with more freedom.
There is a misunderstanding here, with trivial exceptions I don't stash things taken from home, only those found in the dungeon. But I don't get back home every half a level, because my warrior mentality pushes me to kill those other ugly evil monsters I've glimpsed on the level, to explore that Superb level and to actually descend deeper before I get back to town shopping again. This is what I risk loot for --- for a battle, for glory, for savage looting, for getting closer to Morgoth's lair. And I shouldn't be punished for such an attitude...

Quote:
After all, if you're on a level and are so certain of survival that barring accidents you're going to be able to pick up something later, why aren't you deeper and fighting for your life anyway?
Nope, I don't count on being able to fetch any combat-essential gear between battles. I only count on being able, after clearing (a portion of) the level, to refill my battle consumables with those found and scattered on the level and get my heavily earned loot back home.

Last edited by Bandobras; September 2, 2007 at 21:36.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2007, 19:22   #23
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajps View Post
Those carefully assigned carrying capacities and number of slots are suddenly [...]
Now come on, there is nothing carefully designed about the number of slots. It's just what happened to fit on a 80x24 terminal.
Old September 5, 2007, 12:24   #24
ajps
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav View Post
Now come on, there is nothing carefully designed about the number of slots. It's just what happened to fit on a 80x24 terminal.
Well, true. What I meant was that the game has been designed around (roughly) that number of slots being available. It was an assumption in the development of the game, and the range and purposes of consumables were put in with the assumption you could carry 22 at most (less once you take into account light, food, WoR).
Old September 5, 2007, 12:27   #25
pav
Administrator

pav is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to pav
I think the game is too hard for it's own good on it's own inventory. I never seems to fit. I'd like to have the double backpack slots, with the same carrying weight limit. That would be cool.
Old September 5, 2007, 12:51   #26
ajps
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandobras View Post
However, I think the same restrictions wrt. amount you can haul back home or store at home are 1. only a fraction of the fun 2. not well balanced (home is too small after JLE patch, sets and most variants additions and there is very little interesting tactics in managing stashes and bad UI, comparing e.g. with Crawl where you even have a goto stash command).
Well, I see your point, and it's not unreasonable. I think we mostly just have a difference of opinion on the influence low strength should have on playing a given character. I think the game has it about right, but then I don't even consider stashing things for later, I just make do. I may sometimes note that there's something on the floor it might be worth me coming back for, but that's all. I do die a lot, though.

I'll just make the point that the reason the UI for stashes is bad is because people aren't expected to stash things. Making it better would be saying "you're supposed to stash things for later", which I'm guessing is true of Crawl, though I've never had a proper play with it. And I have no objection to a bigger home - the penalty for stashing stuff in the home is big enough in terms of access and the amount you can take out at once to make it no issue as far as I can see.
Old September 5, 2007, 21:52   #27
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
I've always found it odd how the backpack works, but I guess I'm used to it, so doesn't really bug me much. It just seems illogical that 99 !ccw take up less space in the backpack than one of each !ccw and !csw.

I was considering whether a new method would work where (eg.):
- up to 99 ammo, of any type, would take up one 'slot'
- up to 20 potions, of any type, would take up one 'slot'
- up to five wands, of any type, would take up one 'slot'
- one weapon would take up one 'slot'
- one armour would take up one 'slot'
- etc.

Still limit it to the 20 or so slots, but allow mix-and-matching of the items of the same kind. Numbers would need to be tweaked. I think that it would totally be impossible to implement in a logical, easy-to-use way, so this is probably just wishful thinking. Just an idea.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2007, 22:00   #28
Bandobras
Knight

Bandobras is on a distinguished road
Well, it's partly done. Quiver does some of this. Un bags do some more. This partly cures TMJ, because some items become useful when you can actually carry them.
Bandobras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2007, 23:47   #29
Big Al
Swordsman

Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Huh (just tried quivers), apparently I've never noticed what the quiver does. I always thought that it was just a way to use inscriptions on arrows without having to bother actually inscribing them, rather than actually having an in-game use for combining stacks.

Yeah, if we had 'quivers' for other item types, it would be rather good.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6, 2007, 00:03   #30
takkaria
Veteran

Donated: $40
takkaria is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I've always found it odd how the backpack works, but I guess I'm used to it, so doesn't really bug me much. It just seems illogical that 99 !ccw take up less space in the backpack than one of each !ccw and !csw.
Please leave your sense of logic at the door, thanks!

That said, the idea is something interesting to consider, though I have a feeling it would probably require one to have fewer inventory slots generally.
takkaria is offline   Reply With Quote