Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 21, 2007, 22:39   #41
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven_26d1 View Post
Heh, of course - terminal conventions.

The wands issues have been a pet hate of many players (myself included).

Either way of using wands should be catered for, because its a question of playing style (my tactics brain says charge sharing is smarter though). Perhaps variants that have the quiver might adopt a system for identical wands? I might even come around to the idea of a quiver for all wands.
Hengband allows you to have separate stacks of every wand.

Unangband does something similar, in which you can find magical bags which hold 23 different types of wands in 1 inventory slot.

For instance, you can find a Magical Bag of Bewitchments, which holds wands of Confuse Monster, Sleep Monster etc. or Magical Bag of Four Elements which holds all the elemental attack wands.

I had to balance it this way because there is a lot more wands in Unangband than Hengband...

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2007, 06:15   #42
Big Al
Swordsman
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calgary
Age: 30
Posts: 327
Donated: $18.32
Big Al is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post
But surely you want to use the charges in the wands evenly, in the event one of them gets destroyed...
If you're short on weight though (or rather, heavy on weight), I'd rather carry one wand around instead of two - it's lighter.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2007, 11:13   #43
Daven_26d1
Adept
 
Daven_26d1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North of England.
Posts: 211
Daven_26d1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdoull View Post

Unangband does something similar, in which you can find magical bags which hold 23 different types of wands in 1 inventory slot.

Andrew
I wondered if any variants had adopted this sort of idea (like the scroll cases etc in the Baldur's Gate stuff). They'd be unbalancing in V, but in your variant particularly, I noticed there were a *lot* more low power magic items. I didn't play long enough to find the bags though.

I guess I owe Un another try, as a couple of versions have gone by since I tested. Not too much time for games at the moment though.
__________________
You sold a Broken Sword (1d2) (-2,-4) {average} (j) for 1 gold.
The shopkeeper howls in agony!
You say "Dude, the clue is in the name...".
Daven_26d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2007, 19:22   #44
mavfin
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4
mavfin is on a distinguished road
Well, as far as Un, the main reason I haven't checked it out yet is that I've been 'Un'-able to compile even a shell or X11 version of Un for my OS X machine, let alone download or compile an OSX windowed version. The OSX versions for download are either nonexistent or Intel-only. I mean, at least V and Sang I could just pop a quick linux/Unix-type make and have a working curses or X11 version to play in a jiffy. Not so with Un, it seems. I had other variants that I could play, so I wasn't going to spend time tracking down the problem.

As far as Autoscum, yeah, it should be a birth option. Don't play with V *too* much. I still think of it as the 'base' for the variants, as in many ways it's still the Angband I first encountered in 1995, that was derived from the umoria I played in 1987-89.

I have 6 versions of Angband on my machine at the moment, and I'll give you a quick synopsis of what and why I have it, just for fun.

V 3.0.9 - I like the improvements, once I got used to the stores. This is still mostly the same old Vanilla, as it should be, with a few interface improvements, such as the wand/rod stacking, and stuff like that. Add a quiver if you want, that would be nice.

Zangband - This game, unbalanced as it may be, is perfect for those times you want some random fun. No other variant can give you the totally out-of-control feel this game can give you. Can you say Beastman Chaos-Warrior? I thought you could.

FAAngband - I'm still trying this one out, not sure if I like it yet, but we'll see. It's an interesting look.

Sangband - Leon scores again with a reworking of Julian Lighton's old code. The Monk is a bit underpowered, which was always my favorite in Sang, but, if I really wanted to power it up, I could tweak the code and recompile, after all. I'm sure some of that may get tweaked.

Oangband - O is almost a parallel V now, and some of O's goodness has made it into V. It still has some interesting ways of implementing stuff, so I still dabble in O when I'm in the mood.

and last, for my primary Angband-of-the-moment:

ToME - Yes, I know this game has some potential to be munchkinish, but, then, don't they all? You just have to decide if you'll participate in that or not. I love the Monk archetype, and no one does that better than ToME at the moment, and, the skill system here reminds me of my old favorite Sang. Personally, I like the dungeons, but I know they drive some people nuts. ToME has the best, or at least most-visible support, and the most different ways to have fun, and use the skill set to do interesting things. As I mentioned, some of those things are munchkinish. That's up to the community, of course, but, frankly, in the Angband world, doing the dungeon in a new way you haven't done before is fun, even if on reflection it was too easy. This game has the best mix of things at the moment, of all the ones I've tried.

I haven't touched Heng and Steam yet, and probably won't. WTH is Steampunk? I have no particular yearn toward anime. I know there are those out there who love and appreciate those genres, but I'm not one of them. Not a criticism of the variants, just a note on why I haven't tried them.

The fact is, there's other variants I've not touched, and probably won't. You can only play so many. I'm lazy. I look for already-compiled versions for my platform (OS X PPC), or at least easy to compile to run in shell/X11. The extra windows are nice, but not mandatory. God knows I played enough Moria on those 80x24 terminals you all mention

I'll probably check out NPP some time, as I keep hearing people talk about it, and a few others.

Last edited by mavfin; November 6, 2007 at 19:28.
mavfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2007, 21:53   #45
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
Well, as far as Un, the main reason I haven't checked it out yet is that I've been 'Un'-able to compile even a shell or X11 version of Un for my OS X machine, let alone download or compile an OSX windowed version. The OSX versions for download are either nonexistent or Intel-only. I mean, at least V and Sang I could just pop a quick linux/Unix-type make and have a working curses or X11 version to play in a jiffy. Not so with Un, it seems. I had other variants that I could play, so I wasn't going to spend time tracking down the problem.
Could you download the source and give me the output of make -f makefile.osx and make -f makefile.std?

Thanks.

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2007, 23:27   #46
mavfin
Rookie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4
mavfin is on a distinguished road
Actually, after playing with it a bit after you posted, I found you just need to fix the compile note so that no one touches configure, and you're golden. The osx compile fails out on me, but I'm still running 10.3.9, so no big deal. Got an X11/curses/gcu version running nicely. Is there a reason you can't do a universal compile when you do your osx version?
mavfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2007, 07:53   #47
andrewdoull
Unangband maintainer
 
andrewdoull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Age: 43
Posts: 872
andrewdoull is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
Actually, after playing with it a bit after you posted, I found you just need to fix the compile note so that no one touches configure, and you're golden. The osx compile fails out on me, but I'm still running 10.3.9, so no big deal. Got an X11/curses/gcu version running nicely. Is there a reason you can't do a universal compile when you do your osx version?
Because I don't know how / haven't bothered to figure out... I'm just compiling using Xcode + Pete Mac's work on the Unangband OS/X platform at the moment.

Andrew
__________________
The Roflwtfzomgbbq Quylthulg summons L33t Paladins -more-
In UnAngband, the level dives you.
ASCII Dreams: http://roguelikedeveloper.blogspot.com
Unangband: http://unangband.blogspot.com
andrewdoull is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 14:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.