AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old December 12, 2020, 05:22   #41
Angdrim
Rookie

Angdrim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tg122 View Post
One more thing that annoys me a lot. The fact that the stores in town don't always stock consumables that restore experience or staffs of teleport or whatever you desperately need at that time. This causes me to have to go down to dlvl 1 and sleep and go back to town to scum for certain consumables. I find it to just be annoying that shopkeepers don't always stock key items, but doesn't actually make the game more difficult or interesting.
You can always just not town scum. Make it a personal rule. Then you have to dive again without the stuff that you desperately need, which can be more interesting than having a well-stocked kit every time.
Angdrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2020, 13:16   #42
Sky
Veteran

Sky is on a distinguished road
to be honest, the one thing i find so annoying, sooo annoying, to the point that it makes me close down the game and go do something else ..

.. is when i'm near the endgame, and i need to make my build, but i got too much stuff on me and in my home, and cannot make yet a decision as to what to keep and what to throw out.

this sword has pConf and *Fire.
This does a lot of damage
this one has CON stat boosts. this one has my main class stat boost.
this amulet has a rare resist. this other has ESP.

etc, etc.

Honestly, i just want to recall and dump stuff in my house, and when im CL50 i can spend 5 minutes doing the "what goes where" minigame. But i really don't like when i need to throw out a weapon to store a dragon armor artifact, and can't tell which of the things i got will or won't be useful for my final build.

Not that i need it. I know, nobody needs to squeeze every last bit of power from their gear, when they got 30 *Heal and 10 MBan, but in a game where one of the main appeals is the randomized loot, i like to use my randomized loot.

I like to find loot, i like to use it, i like to build a character that's arguably stronger than needed to beat the game. Because, to me that's an integral part of the fun.
Old December 12, 2020, 14:53   #43
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Agreed. That is a pain. Probably that's why I stick to Ironman settings
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2020, 15:34   #44
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
in my variant... I've increased storage space in house A LOT. it's multiplayer concept, but still, maybe this idea won't hurt in V too.. like to made a birth option which won't restrict storage. I've made an explanation about it: https://tangar.info/en/tangaria-blog...oguelike-games ... I prefer to meet difficulty in actual DUNGEONS, while item managment in town should be much less hassle.
youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2020, 16:34   #45
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
If you play with permanent levels, you can keep *everything*
Or you can play a Hengband(?) variant. (I think that's where unlimited home space came from.) Or you can increase store size--it's just a constant value in a .h file somewhere.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2020, 17:53   #46
wobbly
Veteran

wobbly is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Mack View Post
If you play with permanent levels, you can keep *everything*
Or you can play a Hengband(?) variant. (I think that's where unlimited home space came from.) Or you can increase store size--it's just a constant value in a .h file somewhere.
constants.txt these days, but there's some sort of limit before the UI behaves a little screwy and does odd things.
wobbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2020, 19:53   #47
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
In fact, in general I find the early game especially much more tense and engaging without easy access to the town. Especially when playing a Blackguard *man* do they rely on Maim Foe for early game survivability.
Can you elaborate on this? And what version are you playing? (Bonus points if you elaborate in a Blackguard thread instead of here.)

Last edited by DavidMedley; December 12, 2020 at 21:19.
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2020, 18:56   #48
sffp
Adept

sffp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
to be honest, the one thing i find so annoying, sooo annoying, to the point that it makes me close down the game and go do something else ..

.. is when i'm near the endgame, and i need to make my build, but i got too much stuff on me and in my home, and cannot make yet a decision as to what to keep and what to throw out.

this sword has pConf and *Fire.
This does a lot of damage
this one has CON stat boosts. this one has my main class stat boost.
this amulet has a rare resist. this other has ESP.

etc, etc.

Honestly, i just want to recall and dump stuff in my house, and when im CL50 i can spend 5 minutes doing the "what goes where" minigame. But i really don't like when i need to throw out a weapon to store a dragon armor artifact, and can't tell which of the things i got will or won't be useful for my final build.

Not that i need it. I know, nobody needs to squeeze every last bit of power from their gear, when they got 30 *Heal and 10 MBan, but in a game where one of the main appeals is the randomized loot, i like to use my randomized loot.

I like to find loot, i like to use it, i like to build a character that's arguably stronger than needed to beat the game. Because, to me that's an integral part of the fun.

This.
This.
This.

Part of it is the packrat in me. But I've gotten better at early levels of throwing stuff out, because I know better stuff will come. But every time I surface, I go through a rigamarole of judging all of my things and decide carry/house/sell.

I've always hoped that at some point, stuff I sell would show up in shops for later characters of mine. But that's never happened. Same with finding corpses of previous characters. I've never found any remnant of previous characters in games that I've played.
sffp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2020, 20:54   #49
archolewa
Swordsman

archolewa is on a distinguished road
Now that I think about, the fact that you can't drop things directly from home is really annoying. I don't mind the limited space,I just wish it was easier to drop things when both your home and inventory are full.
archolewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2020, 22:36   #50
bughunter
Apprentice

bughunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by archolewa View Post
Now that I think about, the fact that you can't drop things directly from home is really annoying. I don't mind the limited space,I just wish it was easier to drop things when both your home and inventory are full.
Yea, I was probably playing that mini-game when you wrote that...

If your inventory is full and you 'w'eild something on the floor into an occupied slot, or 's'teal an item successfully, then your pack "overflows" onto the ground.

Can this existing mechanic be used to make dealing with a full home a little less annoying?

I'm OK with the inventory and home sizes, but dealing with them when they're both full is indeed annoying.
bughunter is offline   Reply With Quote