Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 3, 2011, 20:41   #31
Arendil
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 78
Arendil is on a distinguished road
Derakon, you didn't really answer to what I wrote. It's possible that I don't write as clearly as I should, possibly you just didn't understand. I don't know. No offense, but I see no point in continuing. Just one small request, please don't enforce your point of view on others...in this case, you really can't say what's good, bad, better, or worse. Just a matter of opinion.

Cheers.
Arendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 20:51   #32
Derakon
Prophet
 
Derakon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,024
Derakon is on a distinguished road
I didn't answer to your comments on options and choice, because we fundamentally disagree there and I saw no point in getting into an argument about basic premises. I've done that already fairly recently in another thread and it wasn't much fun for anyone.

Anyway, enough off-topicness in this thread. If you want to continue this conversation, feel free to PM me.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 21:09   #33
EpicMan
Swordsman
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Dallas, Texas, USA
Posts: 439
EpicMan is on a distinguished road
To answer Derakon's question about the crawl remark, in Crawl you can't sell items to the shopkeepers.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2011, 22:27   #34
Arendil
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 78
Arendil is on a distinguished road
Mikko Lehtinen, sorry, I didn't notice your answer.

Quote:
APPRAISE enables the class to appraise and sell items. However, characters can still only sell *expensive* items. Item's evaluated price -- (I)nspect the item to check it out -- must be at least your minimum depth in feet.
Thanks. That's somewhat partial solution.

Quote:
Would this do as a compromise between no-selling and selling? The gameplay is much faster, as you don't have to collect everything for selling.
It's not that I have to collect and sell everything. It's the choice and possibility to do so I'm asking for. I appreciate all the work you put into this variant, and like some of it's features. Would it really be impossible to add some tiny birth option to enable or disable normal selling?

Cheers.
Arendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 09:04   #35
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,246
Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arendil View Post
It's not that I have to collect and sell everything. It's the choice and possibility to do so I'm asking for. I appreciate all the work you put into this variant, and like some of it's features. Would it really be impossible to add some tiny birth option to enable or disable normal selling?
Sorry, I'm not going to add this as an option. The game would be very hard to balance with normal selling: for example, rogues would be weaker, and mapping would be much better. I would have to classify it as a cheat option, and I don't like that.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2011, 16:21   #36
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,246
Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
Because of the fire/frost division, only the first 3 (fire) or 2 (frost) spellbooks are available in the bookshop.
Fixed in the next version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
The mushroom description for a Shaman should show the appropriate effects to avoid the need for notes.
I've tried to hint at both negative and positive effects in the mushroom description. I find that somewhat amusing, if not always totally clear.

Bad effects are either "reversed" or targeted at monsters instead of you, depending on the 'shroom.

Good effects are mostly not altered at all. Except the wound curing 'shrooms, which function at higher power level. For example, cure light wounds becomes cure medium wounds.

If you keep this in mind, there's no great need for notes. I may add this information to the help files.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2011, 22:54   #37
SaThaRiel
Adept
 
SaThaRiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 174
SaThaRiel is on a distinguished road
One small comment - can you please use another version number when changing the package (like you did on 1st of may)? The problem is that there are md5sums in PKGBUILDs and the script wont work if the same file has a different sum

Also i think that this is a good development behaviour and helps you to track your changes.
__________________
Proud candidate for the Angband Darwin Award!
SaThaRiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2011, 11:27   #38
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,246
Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaThaRiel View Post
One small comment - can you please use another version number when changing the package (like you did on 1st of may)? The problem is that there are md5sums in PKGBUILDs and the script wont work if the same file has a different sum

Also i think that this is a good development behaviour and helps you to track your changes.
Ah, ok! There were no visible changes in the Linux version, so I didn't consider it a new version. I just fixed a bug that seemingly affected only Windows and Mac versions -- they crashed on startup.

I'll post a bugfix 1.01 version soon.

Mikko
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 01:58   #39
jevansau
Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Age: 62
Posts: 199
jevansau is on a distinguished road
Further comments - having got a mage below level 50 - the current trap implementation is really annoying - now that vaults are common, but trap detection is rare (only the rare initial mapping) having to guess at where traps might be to disarm them, given limited or slow disarming, forces very conservative gameplay.
If you want to keep traps an important part of gameplay, perhaps an alternative would be to make them detectable, rare and strategically placed, but have no safe magical method of disarming.
I'm also finding I miss the vanilla implementation of item knowledge - particularly being able to judge how much damage devices do.

A bug report - phlogiston doesn't work on (at least some) magic lanterns - Int certainly.

On the other hand - this is still great fun - love the variety of monsters, the mage spell implementation, the stairs and don't mind the no selling.
Thanks again for your efforts.

Regards,
Jonathan
jevansau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2011, 14:16   #40
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,246
Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
Further comments - having got a mage below level 50 - the current trap implementation is really annoying - now that vaults are common, but trap detection is rare (only the rare initial mapping) having to guess at where traps might be to disarm them, given limited or slow disarming, forces very conservative gameplay.
If you want to keep traps an important part of gameplay, perhaps an alternative would be to make them detectable, rare and strategically placed, but have no safe magical method of disarming.
I didn't know that you can disarm traps you haven't noticed. If that's so, it's a bug.

Would you say that the trap implementation works fine otherwise, just not in vaults?

I could allow scrolls of detect traps, but make them somewhat expensive. This would make trap detection a limited resource, used mostly in vaults. I could also nerf some of the nastier traps and/or make vaults less common.

I find the repeated casting of detect traps a waste of my playing time (no tactical choices at all), so I don't like the mage spell. Also, I like to have Rogues as best trap detectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
I'm also finding I miss the vanilla implementation of item knowledge - particularly being able to judge how much damage devices do.
I've considered making a printable PDF with stat bonus tables. I could add a magic item damage table, too. I usually don't like hidden information in games.

I'm not sure if my programming skill is up to the task of stealing this feature from Vanilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
A bug report - phlogiston doesn't work on (at least some) magic lanterns - Int certainly.
Noted. I'll fix this later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansau View Post
On the other hand - this is still great fun - love the variety of monsters, the mage spell implementation, the stairs and don't mind the no selling.
Thanks again for your efforts.
Good to hear! This is very valuable feedback.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Announce DaJAngband 1.3.0 released will_asher Variants 6 April 13, 2011 12:11
Official announce of pyAngband Sirridan Development 26 December 17, 2010 19:27
Announce DaJAngband 1.1.2 released will_asher Variants 11 January 17, 2010 23:51
Gumband 2.3.1 Announce rdanhenry Variants 35 May 22, 2009 07:16
Announce: DaJAngband v1.0.03 will_asher Variants 4 February 6, 2008 21:23


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:08.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.