Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old June 24, 2012, 21:48   #11
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
okay long bow of power is okay, and yes did kill a lot with it, but I would rather have a good melee weapon, and the bow for only ranged combat, so with hordes of orcs constantly on your butt it's not that great.

It all begin with moria in the 1980's I need not explain.

I tried to polymorph monsters at Dl20-30 and it did not work, if it's not a reliable means of helping a combat situtation it's worthless so after about 4 or 5 failed attempts I threw it away.

Why don't you ask JuJuben why he say's he will not go through that kind of grind again in 3.4? Or that the game needs rebalancing, and he will not play a warrior again, I read many comments about the wasteland of a dungeon it now is from DL 1-40.

Having to (start) playing the game after birth process and only then being able to change windows, that have about 4 open along with a small main window is tedious, I like 3.3.2 implentation better, start game-change main font-window, then done.

I just don't like 3.4 and I'm tired of explaining something that should be easy to figure out, a 30-50% reduction in drops is way to drastic a change too quickly, you should start with 10-15% and then see how everybody likes it.
Old June 24, 2012, 21:58   #12
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
I bought a couple of scrolls of Acquirement that offered very weak ego's, that cost 30,000 was hoping for something better.
I would never buy a scroll of acquirement. I can't remember a time when I ever got anything useful from one. I suppose if you had hordes of GP and nothing to spend it on then OK, but later complaining of lack of gold makes this look like a really poor decision.

Quote:
Now I went very steadily until DL 25 exploring 50 to 75% of each level, found very weak ego's only, killed most uniques up to that level and their drops where poor as well.
This doesn't sound all that unusual. Maybe a little on the unlucky side, but I've played plenty of games like this.

Quote:
Hoping for better equipment I went on down to DL30-35 very fast, for stat potions and artifacts. Normally this is where you start finding artifacts.
Consider the state of your kit, some might call this a poor choice. But I can feel the frustration in your posts, and perhaps you saw this as a calculated risk, a do or die strategy. You can't then complain because the RNG didn't bend to your whim.

Quote:
tried to explore (Good) levels but way underpowered to hang around for long, ended up exploring WOR by CCW Phase Door, Teleport and that costs money, I constantly ran out of money because I was underpowered for the DL I was on
So, while already weak for your depth, you chose to explore levels that were more difficult than typical for that given depth. Again, I say poor decision. Gear average for that depth would have sufficed, but you again went 'do or die', and once again the RNG refuted you. Not all that uncommon.

Quote:
What I was hoping for to find a good drop on the floor somewhere to increase my survivability, Never happened.
Using your experience as an indicator, you should know that "hope" rarely pay off in the dungeon.

Quote:
I could have survived longer but I grew aggravated with the weak drops, and over difficult enemies for a character who has had horrible luck in 500,000 game turns without even a good strong ego weapon to fight with.
Everyone experiences this. This is part of the game. The undesirable remedy for this is to flood the dungeon with strong ego's in order in insure that all characters can find one.
Quote:
And consequently I'm a bit offended by people like Timo trying insinuate that I don't know how to play In some way,
Once again, with your knowledge of the game, you should have known that you were engaging in risky diving, and shouldn't be abnormally surprised when thing didn't work out as you had hoped.

If you don't like the current version, don't play it. I don't. When everyone one around you suddenly become crazy, it's usually time to take a good long look in the mirror. I mean no personal offense, but I think that you may be over-reacting to a poor starting character and an abnormally stingy RNG. One game of Angband should not an opinion make.
Old June 24, 2012, 22:44   #13
Malak Darkhunter
Knight

Malak Darkhunter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
I would never buy a scroll of acquirement. I can't remember a time when I ever got anything useful from one. I suppose if you had hordes of GP and nothing to spend it on then OK, but later complaining of lack of gold makes this look like a really poor decision.

This doesn't sound all that unusual. Maybe a little on the unlucky side, but I've played plenty of games like this.

Consider the state of your kit, some might call this a poor choice. But I can feel the frustration in your posts, and perhaps you saw this as a calculated risk, a do or die strategy. You can't then complain because the RNG didn't bend to your whim.

So, while already weak for your depth, you chose to explore levels that were more difficult than typical for that given depth. Again, I say poor decision. Gear average for that depth would have sufficed, but you again went 'do or die', and once again the RNG refuted you. Not all that uncommon.

Using your experience as an indicator, you should know that "hope" rarely pay off in the dungeon.

Everyone experiences this. This is part of the game. The undesirable remedy for this is to flood the dungeon with strong ego's in order in insure that all characters can find one.

Once again, with your knowledge of the game, you should have known that you were engaging in risky diving, and shouldn't be abnormally surprised when thing didn't work out as you had hoped.

If you don't like the current version, don't play it. I don't. When everyone one around you suddenly become crazy, it's usually time to take a good long look in the mirror. I mean no personal offense, but I think that you may be over-reacting to a poor starting character and an abnormally stingy RNG. One game of Angband should not an opinion make.
Frustrated-yes, and I don't plan on playing 3.4 without some rebalancing, however I think with a 30-50% reduction in item drops, I'm not overreacting to a stingy Rng, It is a stingy RNG, read competition reports for early game to prove it. Their is simply too much stuff reduced at one time.

Poor descisions?- Could be because of a comp your forced to try for a fast turn-count where normaly you wouldn't care, and don't have the luxrey to repeat safe levels over and over again. But that dosen't change how I feel about this version. I played with 2 runs and it was the same both times, I don't feel like I need to look in the mirror for any self-evaluation, I simply don't like this version and don't see any improvement to the game at all. Enough said.
Old June 25, 2012, 13:30   #14
PowerWyrm
Veteran

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
The problem with Nick's starting char is the low stats and the "no connected stairs" option. V3.4 isn't hard, the comp char is hard. I've tried and stopped quickly due to boredom of having to scum DL1-2-3 for ages without getting anything of these levels and being unable to go deeper. For more enjoyment, just play with your favorite race/class combo... and point-based generation.
Old June 25, 2012, 13:45   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malak Darkhunter View Post
Frustrated-yes, and I don't plan on playing 3.4 without some rebalancing, however I think with a 30-50% reduction in item drops, I'm not overreacting to a stingy Rng, It is a stingy RNG, read competition reports for early game to prove it. Their is simply too much stuff reduced at one time.
I'm sorry it feels like this to you, but it was inevitable that this would happen. V has been too easy since 3.1.1, peaked at 3.2.0, got a smidgin harder again in 3.3.x but is still too easy, and is harder again in 3.4. I very much doubt that we have overdone the difficulty (Timo thinks it is still easier than 3.0.9, and while he's not omniscient his instinct is likely to be pretty accurate) - but we haven't run any stats yet so we don't have hard evidence of just how much more difficult it is.

It's interesting that the comp character is frustrating people. Nick - my recommendation for the next comp is a 3.0.6 warrior with identical capability (not identical stats, but as near as you can get in terms of hp, blows etc.). Let's see whether that's less frustrating, or more.
Old June 25, 2012, 14:39   #16
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
You see, I knew people had been complaining for some time that the game was too easy, and I had this theory that they'd also complain if it was too hard...
Old June 25, 2012, 14:50   #17
debo
Veteran

debo is on a distinguished road
I'm a relative newbie to Angband still, but I played through the 3.3.x series with three characters when I was first introduced to it about a year ago. Previously, I was accustomed to Nethack.

My very first character was a human warrior, which I got to dlvl 50 before being scrambled by a nexus vortex. I barely ever came close to death -- but, fair enough, warriors are supposed to be easy in the early game.

My second character was a high-elf rogue, which was a winner.

My third was a human mage, which died somewhere near dlvl 30 due to messed up keybindings on my part.

I never really felt a sense of real danger from Angband... certainly not like other roguelikes I'd played before.

I just recently ground out 5 versions of a Kobold Ranger on 3.4, and I'm not sure if it's the class/race combo, the length of time I've spent away from the game, or the increased difficulty, but this feels like a proper roguelike now I.E., I am forced to think about most encounters. All of my deaths have come before dlvl 15, due to inattention and keyspamming. Wayyyy more fun, IMO.

Based on glimpses I've read of what has been changed in 3.4, I'm inclined to think that it's mostly the time I've spent away from the game that has caused my deaths, given how early I am dying. Have there been many changes that would significantly affect the survivability of early-game characters? I think someone said that statpoints had been toned down, for instance.

P.S. I wish I'd discovered no-selling when I first started playing the game!! Amazing option.
debo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012, 16:07   #18
jujuben
Apprentice

jujuben is on a distinguished road
I had some... issues... with the early midgame. I was right around what I expected the power curve to be up until about d25 or so, started finding my first (very weak) artifacts there, had decent hp and pretty good damage, mostly from rings. What really frustrated me was the lack of resistance gear. D25-D35 took about a million highly frustrating turns, as I hunted for some way to cover my basic 5 without giving up both ring slots. Towards the end of this, stat gain for Str, Dex and Con were pretty close to complete, but I still didn't feel comfortable going deeper and risking taking on the more powerful breathers/casters unresisted.

Honestly, I don't think I have too much problem with generation of weapons, potions or jewelry, but better defenses, especially the basic resists needed to survive the midgame need to be a bit more common early, imo.
Old June 25, 2012, 17:26   #19
catchymonkey
Rookie

catchymonkey is on a distinguished road
I might as well add my experience: I ran through about 8 characters going as hard and fast down to Dlvl 20 as reasonably possible. And died predictably.

The tactic was to find a piece of game-changing kit and then come back to a reasonable depth to fill out the rest. The first 8 found nothing better than boots of slow descent and I nearly gave up. The 9th found a Defender Rapier at about Dlvl 9. All 4 resists, FA, SI - it felt like a total cheat. I also found a decent ego bow and helm of telepathy before Dlvl 20. Seemed like a totally anomalous game compared to the others I'd tried. Also, as mentioned in the dump, I found a stack of 2 INT potions and a couple of Holy Infusions before I got to 20.

The difficulty thing is...difficult. Clearly there needs to be a balance between challenging the veterans and not scaring/boring off new players. I'm one of those people who loves it when I find The Ancient Sword of Game Wrecking Awesomeness on level 1 but I realise lots of people don't.
catchymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2012, 22:14   #20
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
can i suggest the next comp should be 3.4 again with a decent character??