Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 30, 2009, 07:55   #1
miyazaki
Adept
 
miyazaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Age: 45
Posts: 227
miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Quiver bug in v1802

I love the quiver, but if I hit (f)ire without any ammo or with unfireable ammo, then the game crashes.
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 16:15   #2
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 41
Posts: 1,516
d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post
I love the quiver, but if I hit (f)ire without any ammo or with unfireable ammo, then the game crashes.
What platform are you running? If I do that on Linux with r1804 I get a message "You have nothing to fire" (in both cases).
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 19:13   #3
miyazaki
Adept
 
miyazaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Age: 45
Posts: 227
miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Windows vista. It has happened several times with different launchers. I have never seen that message.
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 19:30   #4
miyazaki
Adept
 
miyazaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Age: 45
Posts: 227
miyazaki is on a distinguished road
Oh yeah, ammo doesn't pseudo-ID properly in the quiver either. It gets labeled {worn} and this doesn't disappear unless I use a ?identify, even when I know all the ammo's attributes. I never get the {magical} message. Being treated as armour?
miyazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 20:37   #5
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
This whole thing about ammo being "wielded" into the quiver is silly. I know it is how it has always been done, but that doesn't make it right.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 20:42   #6
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 41
Posts: 1,516
d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
This whole thing about ammo being "wielded" into the quiver is silly. I know it is how it has always been done, but that doesn't make it right.
Patches welcome!

After having ported this feature from NPP I think I agree with you, but you're going to hit these bugs whichever way you implement the feature based on the way the loops over intentory[] are written--changing the pick up command to put stuff in the quiver (so that ammo never hits the backpack) doesn't simplify that.

If I were going to do a refactor I would split inventory[] into equipment[], quiver[] and inventory[]. I think that would make the inventory code a lot easier to read, and obviate most of the weirdness involving INVEN_PACK, INVEN_TOTAL and friends.
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 20:44   #7
Magnate
Angband Devteam member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London, UK
Posts: 5,060
Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_m View Post
Patches welcome!

After having ported this feature from NPP I think I agree with you, but you're going to hit these bugs whichever way you implement the feature based on the way the loops over intentory[] are written--changing the pick up command to put stuff in the quiver (so that ammo never hits the backpack) doesn't simplify that.

If I were going to do a refactor I would split inventory[] into equipment[], quiver[] and inventory[]. I think that would make the inventory code a lot easier to read, and obviate most of the weirdness involving INVEN_PACK, INVEN_TOTAL and friends.
I don't think anyone would mind if you did that
Magnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 20:51   #8
d_m
Angband Devteam member
 
d_m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Age: 41
Posts: 1,516
d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyazaki View Post
Windows vista. It has happened several times with different launchers. I have never seen that message.
I'm at work now, but I have a theory about why this might be happening that I'll test after work.
__________________
linux->xterm->screen->pmacs
d_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 21:56   #9
Nick
Vanilla maintainer
 
Nick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 56
Posts: 9,168
Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enoughNick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDiver View Post
This whole thing about ammo being "wielded" into the quiver is silly. I know it is how it has always been done, but that doesn't make it right.
Thank you for pointing that out - I hadn't realised it annoyed me. I'll work on finding a more sensible system at some point.
__________________
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2009, 22:52   #10
PowerDiver
Prophet
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,712
PowerDiver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Thank you for pointing that out - I hadn't realised it annoyed me. I'll work on finding a more sensible system at some point.
The solution appears obvious to me, but a whole lot of work. Inventory needs to be upped to 100 slots or so, with ammo coming last, and a function call [rather than comparison to a constant] to determine whether you have empty slots, and appropriate list output when inspecting or firing.

It's also obviously a large amount of work.

The only slightly tricky issue is differentiating items that can be both thrown effectively or wielded for melee, like Nimloth. One solution is to separate the types entirely. Another is that ammo goes in the quiver but throwing items do not. Yet another is to put it in the quiver, but allow you to wield it from the quiver into the melee slot.
PowerDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quiver added to Vanilla as of r1776 d_m Vanilla 24 November 30, 2009 00:59
[O110u] Quiver stacking Donald Jonker Variants 4 November 20, 2008 11:04


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 17:44.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.