Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 12, 2011, 02:41   #11
Antoine
Ironband/Quickband Maintainer

Antoine is on a distinguished road
I suggest the best way to manage all this is to add a few interesting new monsters, see what is popular and what improves the game, and then consider a bigger overhaul.

I think there is not enough consensus to justify big changes to the monster list yet.

Also, drip-feeding monster changes over several months will add more interest (new content continually popping up).

A.
Old July 12, 2011, 02:43   #12
ChodTheWacko
Adept

ChodTheWacko is on a distinguished road
I have always thought that it would be interesting if various monsters had higher max hit points, but their average hit points (and experience) depended on dungeon level.

It's kind of an extension of the baby/young/mature/ancient thing we do with dragons, except for other creatures. That way although monsters start showing up at DLVL X, they still gradually get more and more dangerous the deeper you go.

It would also make Angband a bit more newbie friendly since getting breathed on by, for example, a baby green dragon lets you know what Ancient dreen dragons will do to you later.

- Frank
ChodTheWacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011, 02:45   #13
Raxmei
Apprentice

Raxmei is on a distinguished road
One of my most interesting recent fights featured a running battle with a whole bunch of orcs and two umber hulks. Some more tunnelers deep down would tend to make fights more interesting. Preferably not all of them would be as dangerous or dangerous in the same way as Black Reavers. The idea I had along that line was a tunneling golem. Bashes down walls, obliviously crushes monsters that get in its way, hits hard for acid and earthquakes.

We don't get any explosive breeders past dlvl 40. That's another niche the rockeater bugs would fill.
Raxmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011, 07:12   #14
jens
Swordsman

jens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CunningGabe View Post
I'd also like to see monsters with ridiculously high AC but very few hitpoints, so that you need to take them out with spells/devices.
Would be nice, but I think I'd like the combat system to be reworked first. Basically all classes except mages and priest have ridiculously high to-hit... Oh, well guess it's not such a problem after all, just that it will need balancing after combat is reworked :-) The highest current AC is 300 in the current RC... In that context, to make a lvl 50 warrior, with mediocre eq, hit only 1/3 of his attacks a monster would need AC 570+, to make the same warrior hit 1/5 of his attacks a monster would need AC 690+.

Well I guess what I'm saying is that there is really a lot of room to increase AC for a lot of monsters with the current system, or make a general reduction of to-hit for classes.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011, 11:30   #15
artes
Adept

artes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
Of course we need more deep monsters! It's been on my todo list for a while now :-) I've only been thinking in terms of the current races though... New ones would be good... Hmm, about freeing letters, it's been mentioned before, but while doing this I'd add changing Angels to Ainur. Quite simmilar beings (angels were one of the inspirations for Ainur according to wikipedia), and above all Ainur belong to the Tolkien universe, while Angels do not...
That's a good idea. There are a lot of names in Silmarillion that can be used. Angels from the Christian mythology feels somewhat misplaced in Angband, though they are fun to fight and I don't really feel that they must go away. Ainur could be added without removing the angels, possibly. I don't have an opinion about that. Then there's the problem how to motivate why good Ainur would hang around in Angband. Maybe they are there to trample monsters while looking for Morgoth?
artes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011, 14:49   #16
Starhawk
Adept

Starhawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxmei View Post
One of my most interesting recent fights featured a running battle with a whole bunch of orcs and two umber hulks. Some more tunnelers deep down would tend to make fights more interesting. Preferably not all of them would be as dangerous or dangerous in the same way as Black Reavers. The idea I had along that line was a tunneling golem. Bashes down walls, obliviously crushes monsters that get in its way, hits hard for acid and earthquakes.

We don't get any explosive breeders past dlvl 40. That's another niche the rockeater bugs would fill.
If we work off some of Angband's D&D roots, purple worms should be able to tunnel. Could also add thoqqua (fire-based worms that tunnel, and attack to burn).
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011, 17:49   #17
jens
Swordsman

jens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by artes View Post
That's a good idea. There are a lot of names in Silmarillion that can be used. Angels from the Christian mythology feels somewhat misplaced in Angband, though they are fun to fight and I don't really feel that they must go away. Ainur could be added without removing the angels, possibly. I don't have an opinion about that. Then there's the problem how to motivate why good Ainur would hang around in Angband. Maybe they are there to trample monsters while looking for Morgoth?
I feel that Angels are way more missplaced than Ainur in any case. Ainur are at least in the same mythology.
jens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2011, 21:57   #18
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
You could just re-brand angels as Maiar/Ainur to change the mythology without changing the experience (and without affecting current balance).

Angel monsters by the way are practically deep explosive breeders.

Last edited by EpicMan; July 12, 2011 at 21:57. Reason: Clarified what "changing the experience" meant
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 04:10   #19
Netbrian
Adept

Netbrian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jens View Post
I feel that Angels are way more missplaced than Ainur in any case. Ainur are at least in the same mythology.
Yeah, probably, but I must admit, I'm fond of the angels and will be sorry if they have to go away. (My dream was to one day learn enough C to add even more angel monsters, and maybe some angel pits.

What kind of Ainur non-uniques are in other variants?
Netbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2011, 04:33   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
You don't need to know C to add monsters. Just insert them into lib/edit/monster.txt.

NPPAngband has Lesser and Greater Servants of Manwë, Varda, Ulmo, Morgoth, Aulë, Oromë, Mandos, Yavanna, Irmo, and Tulkas, as well as Alatar the Blue, Pallando the Blue, Radagast the Brown, Ossë Herald of Ulmo, Saruman, Arien Maia of the Sun, Sauron, and Morgoth all being 'A' monsters.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote