Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 5, 2011, 22:03   #1
Angelus
Rookie

Angelus is on a distinguished road
Rings of Speed

Is it just me, or did something change with these recently? Lately, I've been finding a number of rings of speed at around DL 30. That seems a bit too early for an item that good....I rarely find more than one per game (before level 30 that is), but they're still pretty frequent. And I don't think any of the ones I have found were in vaults, or even drops from uniques.
Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 05:22   #2
Jazerus
Apprentice

Jazerus is on a distinguished road
Loot before stat-gain seems entirely too strong right now; something changed between the last nightly and the first release candidate from what I can tell. At least, I don't really think I should be finding an Amulet of Trickery on dlvl 23, no matter how "superb" the level happens to be. It was a welcome find at the time, but in that particular game I was kitted out with stuff by stat-gain that I usually don't have until much later. Maybe it was just a run of unusual luck - but I can't say I've ever seen depth 70 items in the teens and twenties before the 3.3 RC line.
Jazerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 05:58   #3
dos350
Knight

dos350 is on a distinguished road
rofld nn2qq,

please dont cry when u find something good early, its actually a bonus~!~!!

ive found crazy leet stuff at like dlvl 4 and even off maggot (bos +7) , before any of these bs changes, so please, get over it

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++
dos350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 07:19   #4
ChodTheWacko
Adept

ChodTheWacko is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
Is it just me, or did something change with these recently? Lately, I've been finding a number of rings of speed at around DL 30. That seems a bit too early for an item that good....I rarely find more than one per game (before level 30 that is), but they're still pretty frequent. And I don't think any of the ones I have found were in vaults, or even drops from uniques.
Depends on how big the plus is - a ring of speed +1/+2 is kinda neat but there are plenty of rings that I'd choose over it.

- Frank
ChodTheWacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 07:45   #5
SSK
Adept

SSK is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazerus View Post
...I don't really think I should be finding an Amulet of Trickery on dlvl 23, no matter how "superb" the level happens to be ... Maybe it was just a run of unusual luck - but I can't say I've ever seen depth 70 items in the teens and twenties before the 3.3 RC line.
I found an Amulet of Devotion a few games back in the DLevel 20s--and this was either in 3.2 or in a nightly after 3.2 but before 3.3. But that was the only time. Usually before stat gain I am using an amulet of WIS (for paladins) or regeneration...
SSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 12:11   #6
Nomad
Knight

Nomad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazerus View Post
Loot before stat-gain seems entirely too strong right now; something changed between the last nightly and the first release candidate from what I can tell. At least, I don't really think I should be finding an Amulet of Trickery on dlvl 23, no matter how "superb" the level happens to be. It was a welcome find at the time, but in that particular game I was kitted out with stuff by stat-gain that I usually don't have until much later. Maybe it was just a run of unusual luck - but I can't say I've ever seen depth 70 items in the teens and twenties before the 3.3 RC line.
I found an Amulet of ESP on dlevel 5 one time in 3.2. Not even in a vault.

(Then I died a horribly pathetic death killed by cave orcs a few levels later.)

I haven't noticed early speed rings popping up in the 3.3 RCs, though there do seem to be a profusion of good ones in the later game - I found plenty of +10s, several +12s and two +16s in the same game.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 16:10   #7
Jazerus
Apprentice

Jazerus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dos350 View Post
rofld nn2qq,

please dont cry when u find something good early, its actually a bonus~!~!!

ive found crazy leet stuff at like dlvl 4 and even off maggot (bos +7) , before any of these bs changes, so please, get over it
Yes, thank you for assuming that I'm "crying". My goal here is to improve the game by pointing out possible issues with what's going on. As a player, I certainly didn't mind getting very good stuff that early, but any time you download a new version and suddenly get a run of what seems like incredible luck, it's worth mentioning in case something actually was accidentally changed. I'm not upset at having unusual luck - and it does seem that that's what happened, based on the other replies - so I don't really have anything to get over.
Jazerus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 16:47   #8
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
So, in my playtesting game (which is over 1M turns and heading for a fight with Morgoth) I saw my first ring of speed on dlvl 98. I hadn't seen the flavor before with detect items either, and had been looking for =speed (hard) since about dlvl 40.

My experience doesn't prove anything, other than that people don't *always* find speed quickly. It's worth running some stats on but I am fine with some games finding =speed very early as long as it isn't most of them. The variance of item generation is one of the most exciting things about Angband.
Old July 6, 2011, 17:04   #9
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
As far as I can tell the current stats generation doesn't track non-consumable non-ego+ objects -- so you can't track the frequency of non-artifact rings, spellbooks, ammo, etc. You might be able to track the availability of speed in general; there's some stuff with pvals that I haven't dug into.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2011, 18:03   #10
d_m
Angband Devteam member

d_m is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
As far as I can tell the current stats generation doesn't track non-consumable non-ego+ objects -- so you can't track the frequency of non-artifact rings, spellbooks, ammo, etc. You might be able to track the availability of speed in general; there's some stuff with pvals that I haven't dug into.
I'm pretty sure Myshkin generated some stats for me on how frequently Mushrooms of Vigour are generated. So I think this is possible, although I haven't personally looked at it.