AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old July 29, 2015, 08:21   #1
Chud
Adept

Chud is on a distinguished road
How randarts generation works?

Hi,

Looking for a clarification on how randarts generation works, and the effect of the "use same set of randarts" option...

My understanding is that randarts are generated based on the standard artifact set---as variations on them, broadly speaking, right? I read something elsewhere that implied, perhaps wrongly, that subsequent randarts sets were generated from the previous randart set, rather than always from the standard set. Wondering if that's true? If it is, it seems like there might be a potential feedback loop there when run over a bunch of passes, depending on just how much is inherited from the parent set.

On the "use same set of randarts" option, I assume that means don't generate a new set at all, and use the previously generated set; if you found the Helm of Loki with +2 stabbing and immunity to fashion in the last game, it exists to be found again this game too. Correct?

Thanks!
Chud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015, 15:09   #2
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
The feedback loop was a bug report. Your assumption about the Helm of Loki is correct.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015, 17:52   #3
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
As for how randarts are generated, they're only very broadly "based" on the standart set. The game calculates a power level for each of the artifacts in the standard set (basically how good the game thinks that artifact is), and attempts to generate randarts with broadly similar power levels, although significant variation is allowed. Item types are also allowed to vary; the game attempts to keep roughly the same number of artifacts per equipment slot, but e.g. the randart based on Ringil will probably not be a sword (or even a melee weapon), nor will the randart based on Thorin likely be a shield.
Derakon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2015, 20:11   #4
MattB
Veteran

MattB is on a distinguished road
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but I wish it would make a check against how many 'bows' (i.e. Longbow or Shortbow) there are in the game. A game where all (or most of) the randart launchers are slings or crossbows is practically pointless for a ranger...

...and happens surprisingly often - checking the randart log after every game slightly spoils the mystery of the thing, even if it is only when I play a ranger.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015, 05:26   #5
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
This is true, there are way fewer launchers than melee weapons. Now it often happens that there isnt any artifact melee weapon better than a good ego MoD, however, you can expect to be using an artifact in at least some period of a game. The same cannot be said for launchers.

As for bow vs sling or xbow, I have said before and say so again that it might be a good idea to give the ranger bonus to different launchers depending on race; hobbit rangers would be using slings, dwarven rangers crossbows and so on.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015, 18:52   #6
Talharim
Scout

Talharim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
As for bow vs sling or xbow, I have said before and say so again that it might be a good idea to give the ranger bonus to different launchers depending on race; hobbit rangers would be using slings, dwarven rangers crossbows and so on.
Agreed! Or maybe have rangers have the bonus with all launcher types?
Talharim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015, 19:34   #7
AnonymousHero
Veteran

AnonymousHero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
This would only exacerbate the problem of there not being enough (variety of) launchers in randart games.

I say give rangers bonuses with all ranged weapons. They're rangers for crying out loud! The clue that they should be good with all ranged weapons is in the name .

(I certainly wouldn't mind giving e.g. hobbits bonuses with slings in addition to that, but...)
AnonymousHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015, 20:14   #8
TJS
Swordsman

TJS is on a distinguished road
It would be cool to have a random seed for the random artifact set that is displayed on your character sheet so other people can use the same set in their games by specifying it at the start.
TJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2015, 23:17   #9
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post
This would only exacerbate the problem of there not being enough (variety of) launchers in randart games.

I say give rangers bonuses with all ranged weapons. They're rangers for crying out loud! The clue that they should be good with all ranged weapons is in the name .

(I certainly wouldn't mind giving e.g. hobbits bonuses with slings in addition to that, but...)
It wasnt an attempt to solve that problem. The solution for that is easy and obvious: more ranged artifacts.

It is just a suggestion for more flavour.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2015, 17:42   #10
Bogatyr
Swordsman

Bogatyr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymousHero View Post

I agree, rangers should have the bonus on all ranged weapons. And make slings useful: there should be much more frequent high-end shots dropped.
Bogatyr is offline   Reply With Quote