Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old October 12, 2009, 05:19   #11
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Donated: $10
will_asher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by evets View Post
Interesting variant! It intrigued me so I gave it a short try, I may play some more. I like some of the ideas you have for new classes, but I don't think they'll all work out to be very effective, but still, good ideas. For instance I like the barbarian class, it's cool idea: more effective with heavier weapons due to increased crit! However some classes seem a little redundant. i.e.: Thief *and* assassin *and* rogue? Archer *and* ranger?
The thief, rogue, and assassin classes are a little too similar at the moment, I admit, but the archer and ranger are really not that similar because the ranger is not nearly as much like an archer at it is in V (no extra shots with every 10 levels). The ranger is more of a druid/warrior with good bow skill. The archer is all range focussed with some useful alchemy-realm spells (especially once he finds the missile magic spellbook). And the thief, rogue, and assassin do have some important differences (different magic realms, the thieves' speed bonus, assassin bonus vs sleeping monsters). And the thief is a significantly weaker fighter than the other two and better with magic. There's also the psycology/role playing factor: even the name of the class makes a difference.

Quote:
Also, I noticed a few bugs:
- Using point-based character creation, if try to put less than the minimum or more than the maximum points in a stat, it re-rolls your money and gives you a new random amount of cash. Not a big enough amount to make a difference, just weird.
That is a known bug, and honestly I think it's more of a quirk that doesn't harm anything and don't think it's worth fixing.

Quote:
- some of the hotkeys are messed up. For instance, 'a'im is swapped with 'z'ap. When I went to aim my new wand, I hit 'a' and it said "you have no rods to use." So I hit 'z' and it says "which wand would you like to use?". o.O Also, the run macro is mapped to comma (',') instead of period ('.') . That's really annoying, since that's the button I press the most playing angband. :X
This is because the roguelike keyset is set to default (I don't know why they call the other keyset the original keyset, when the roguelike keyset is the real original keyset..). Just change the keyset option to the way you like it and it'll be back to the way you're used to.

Play DaJAngband:
http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home
will_asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2009, 07:27   #12
zaimoni
Knight

zaimoni is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by will_asher View Post
This is because the roguelike keyset is set to default (I don't know why they call the other keyset the original keyset, when the roguelike keyset is the real original keyset..).
The original keyset has been called that since Moria.

Also, the original keyset is a lot more likely to agree with the internal command dispatcher on what the commands are, than the roguelike keyset.
zaimoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2009, 13:23   #13
Dark
Apprentice

Dark is on a distinguished road
I've been using the original keyset myself, ---- infact using arrow keys and home end etc sinse my screen reader needs the number pad and I've never got my head around the roguelike ones.

A for aime wands and Z for zap rods always seem to work for me.

Extra terrane would be fun especilly from an exploration and tactics point of view, I already like the different shaped rooms and extra amounts of rubble.

I'm not sure how this would work with too many classes, sinse I've only briefly tried many of them, but I really like the quiver option and the ability to carry amo without using inventory slots.

Perhaps different classes could have intrinsic access to extra inventory items in a similar fashion to allow them the advantage of extra slots and ability to carry more types of items.

These could include a scroll case for the magical types, a potion kit for alchemists, and maybe something to carry books for priests. Optionally mages could have a wand holder as well.

Of course, none-magical classes shouldn't have access to such things sinse it wouldn't make sense for a barbarian or warrior to carry such schollarly equipment with them.

Maybe this could also be an advantage for some of the thief classes, sinse they've got to have ways of carrying away their loot efficiently.

appologies if this is a mad idea or one which won't work coding wise, it's just I'm currently playing a warrior and thus inventory management is becoming a major issue, and so i got to thinking what advantages some classes could have in this way.

Btw, what are dust bunnies for? if anything? I've now picked up two, and their just taking up space, but I'm loathed to destroy them until I find out if they're any use or not, ---- especially considdering they seem to be a relatively uncommon drop.

I've also made it to dungeon lvl 23 and am stil going, assuming that my save file survived the user accounts issue I had recently. i don't see why it shouldn't, sinse all the Daaj save files are in the Daaj folder, not in anywhere which would'vee been affected by my accounts desaster.

Oh, and I gave that blasted monkey a good dose of what for! take that!
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2009, 18:42   #14
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

ah the dust bunnies.. Honestly I don't know what I was thinking when I put them there. It's a mystery. (They're not good for anything.)

Containers have been suggested for V before. Inventory management is one of the big challenges of the game, and I've already made it a little easier with the quiver. And it'd be quite a lot of trouble (at least for me) to code.

Play DaJAngband:
Old October 14, 2009, 05:51   #15
Dark
Apprentice

Dark is on a distinguished road
Fair enough, it was just a thought given inventory management importance.

At least I can now send those dustbunnies to dustbunny heaven and have a free slot, ;D.
Dark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2009, 22:11   #16
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

I just got a couple new terrain features to work. Most of them are rare except for themed levels or if they're included in a vault design.

The way I did trees is kindof weird. They're in the game technically as monsters (0XP, NEVER_MOVE, NEVER_BLOW) but I added several hacks to make them seem more like terrain features. (Detected by magic mapping but not by detect monsters. Not affected by mass banishment, but if you specifically banish tree monsters, then they'll dissapear.)
Also, I made it so not only ordinary trees, but almost any tree monsters block line of sight (plus a couple other huge monsters, but not nearly as many as are huge.).

Play DaJAngband:
Old December 14, 2009, 21:52   #17
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

(this is kindof my DaJAngband development threat, so I'm adding this here even though I'm not really 'tossing around ideas' at the moment..)

So I tried to add the character history code from Vanilla 3.1.1. I tried to copy it as close as I could because I don't understand all of the code involved (that's how I got the quiver from NPP). It turns out that too much stuff has changed in the vanilla code since v3.0.9 so getting the character history code to work in DJA is beyond my limited coding ability. sorry to those to wanted it. I've been wanting it, but I don't think it's a big deal.
hmmm, I wonder if there's a variant based on an earlier version of vanilla which has character history which I might have more success copying from?

Play DaJAngband:
Old December 14, 2009, 22:32   #18
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
<snip>
hmmm, I wonder if there's a variant based on an earlier version of vanilla which has character history which I might have more success copying from?
Try birth.c in hellband, it has a much more understandable and maintenance friendly character history ( compared to old Angband, dont know about new Angband )

T.
Old December 14, 2009, 23:44   #19
will_asher
DaJAngband Maintainer

Sorry I meant character history as in that stuff in the character dump about "turn n: found x artifact on level 33 (LOST)", not the racial history lines. maybe I should've been clearer about that.

Play DaJAngband:
Old December 15, 2009, 00:34   #20
konijn_
Hellband maintainer

Donated: $120
konijn_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sorry I meant character history as in that stuff in the character dump about "turn n: found x artifact on level 33 (LOST)", not the racial history lines. maybe I should've been clearer about that.
Gah, ok. Let me know when you find _that_

T.