AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old September 1, 2011, 23:49   #21
perdaniel
Scout

perdaniel is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Playing cautiously at shallow depths teaches you one wrong thing: you can handle anything anywhere.
Saruman showed me yesterday at 3000' that I can't handle everything. He decided to summon an angel, which summoned another angel and so on. In the end I was figthing Saruman, Gabriel, Azriel, Uriel and lots of non-uniques. I soon found out that I couldn't win and teleported away and left the level. Today I found Saruman again, luckily he just summoned a low level undead before I killed him.
perdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2011, 23:04   #22
perdaniel
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Would I dedicate an inventory slot to restore life levels? No.
Do I store restore life levels at home? Rarely.
Would I carry a swap something-or-other with HOLD_LIFE? Hell yeah.
Why would you use a slot to carry something with hold life but not !RLL?
Old September 3, 2011, 01:47   #23
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Because once life force is drained you've already lost. I'd rather hold on to it in the first place.

RLL is a one shot deal. Assuming XP is important to you, you would drink it after the battle is over, at which point you end up where you started at. No XP gained from the battle. What's the point? (If you can anticipate the end of the battle, you could drink it just before, but that's risky)

Hold Life is more like a rod of RLL. It's always working. Reducing or flat out eliminating XP drain. Even with hold life, I don't go fighting life drainers unless I have a reason to, or can kill them quickly.
Old September 3, 2011, 07:48   #24
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Meanwhile, I haven't cared about experience drain for awhile and my gameplay doesn't seem to be measurably impacted by that choice. This kind of thing is hard to quantify. I guess if experience drain is a big deal to you, then go ahead and carry countermeasures of whatever type seems appropriate...but you should try a game without them (if you haven't already) just to see if they're really as important as your instinct says they are. There's many things in the game that I had at one point decided were important, which really weren't when I revisited those decisions later.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2011, 11:11   #25
perdaniel
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Because once life force is drained you've already lost. I'd rather hold on to it in the first place.

RLL is a one shot deal. Assuming XP is important to you, you would drink it after the battle is over, at which point you end up where you started at. No XP gained from the battle. What's the point? (If you can anticipate the end of the battle, you could drink it just before, but that's risky)

Hold Life is more like a rod of RLL. It's always working. Reducing or flat out eliminating XP drain. Even with hold life, I don't go fighting life drainers unless I have a reason to, or can kill them quickly.
I used to drink a !RLL when the life drainer was badly damaged, and occasionally they drained me again so that I had to drink another !RLL. I think I understand your reasoning now.
Old September 3, 2011, 11:18   #26
perdaniel
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Meanwhile, I haven't cared about experience drain for awhile and my gameplay doesn't seem to be measurably impacted by that choice. This kind of thing is hard to quantify. I guess if experience drain is a big deal to you, then go ahead and carry countermeasures of whatever type seems appropriate...but you should try a game without them (if you haven't already) just to see if they're really as important as your instinct says they are. There's many things in the game that I had at one point decided were important, which really weren't when I revisited those decisions later.
I am pretty sure that you are vastly more skilled at this complex game than I am. Anyway I sold the !RLL some time ago, and since then my warrior has reached level 50, so drain life isn't that big a problem anymore, even though he got drained back to level 49 and had to play at that level for some time because ha didn't find any !RLL.
Old September 3, 2011, 15:41   #27
perdaniel
Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulian View Post
Your character looks great and is close to being geared for the endgame.

From your inventory I would get rid of: c,e,l,m,n,q, r. I'd also leave at least 30 !healing at home. Also carry around !rCold, ?phase, and !CCW.

From your home I would get rid of: c,e,f, h,i,j,k,n,o,p,q,r,t,u,v

Bear in mind charges from staves add but so does the weight so you can reduce your weight by 20 lbs by carrying 1x _identify and 2x _teleportation, which will be another point of speed.
Why should I sell Firestar? I just got the advice a few hundred feet ago to keep it with me at all times.
Old September 3, 2011, 15:56   #28
bulian
Adept

bulian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I am pretty sure that you are vastly more skilled at this complex game than I am.
You're doing just fine. The first win is the toughest. Besides if you didn't want people's advice you wouldn't be posting here.

Quote:
Why should I sell Firestar? I just got the advice a few hundred feet ago to keep it with me at all times.
Azaghal = lighter firestar. 6 one way, half a dozen another, really, but you only need one swap with immunity on it. Excess weight = lower speed = bad. Plus azaghal has slay dragon whereas firestar has a brand. When you get Nara ditch azaghal. Swaps are for defense, so whatever is breathing lots of fire at you (red dragon pits or balrogs), the brand on firestar won't do much.

I see you have thorin, you should be carrying it for black dragons at the very least. Immunity is a huge huge huge upgrade over a single or even double resistance. You don't have to worry about rDark just yet. Just watch out for Ungoliant and Tselakus.
bulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2011, 14:06   #29
perdaniel
Scout

Quote:
You're doing just fine. The first win is the toughest. Besides if you didn't want people's advice you wouldn't be posting here.
Thank you for your kind words. I do want advice, but I sometimes feel that I am not skilled or experienced enough to follow the advice.

Quote:
Azaghal = lighter firestar. 6 one way, half a dozen another, really, but you only need one swap with immunity on it. Excess weight = lower speed = bad. Plus azaghal has slay dragon whereas firestar has a brand. When you get Nara ditch azaghal. Swaps are for defense, so whatever is breathing lots of fire at you (red dragon pits or balrogs), the brand on firestar won't do much.

I see you have thorin, you should be carrying it for black dragons at the very least. Immunity is a huge huge huge upgrade over a single or even double resistance. You don't have to worry about rDark just yet. Just watch out for Ungoliant and Tselakus.
Thanks for the explanation. I find it much easier to follow advice if I understand why I should be doing it that way.
Old September 4, 2011, 20:32   #30
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tselakus darkness storm isn't that dangerous because of relatively shallow depth. Vecna OTOH is very dangerous with its darkness storm (does more damage than Ungoliant darkness breath, and spells do not have damage cap).
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote