Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Development

Old October 17, 2011, 23:51   #11
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
As I described recently in the "my first Angband character" thread, your hitpoints should track with level * (CON bonus + average hit die result). In other words, each level gives you one roll of your hit die plus a bonus derived from your CON score. A theoretical character with a 1d1 hit die but max CON would, at level 50, get 50HP from hit dice and 625HP from CON (12.5HP per level). At level 49, they would have 49HP from hit dice and 612HP from CON. And so on.

The CON bonus table is in player/calcs.c and is given in hundredths of a hitpoint per level. Here's some highlights:
Code:
  CON Bonus HP/level
   11     0
   17     1
18/20     2
18/60     3
18/80     4
18/100    5
18/160    8
18/170    9
18/180    10
18/220    12.5
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2011, 00:00   #12
bulian
Adept

bulian is on a distinguished road
Thanks Derakon. Sorry to take your time given just explained it in the other thread.
bulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2011, 05:02   #13
emulord
Adept

emulord is on a distinguished road
The only "weak" races before were Half-elf, Elf. Every other race had good viable playstyles and class combos. hE and E were just more boring, less extreme, and less quick than High elf.

Gnome changes were fine except for hit die reduction.

Half elf and elf changes were probably overcompensation.

I dont agree with any of the other changes :/

I dont mean to shoot you down, but Im pretty sure from MAngband experience that the races were balanced. Just Elf/HalfElf arnt "powergaming" experiences
emulord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2011, 00:21   #14
Jungle_Boy
Swordsman

Jungle_Boy is on a distinguished road
I have tried a few games with the new edit files and I think it works well. The lower starting skills are actually noticeable with some characters, like disarming with a half-orc warrior, and I think make things better. Disarming a trap is a small tactical decision rather than free xp.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that I think the incremental values for skills should be halved and added every 5 levels instead of 10, this would provide a smoother growth curve for characters. Perhaps at least the skill changes could be added into the new v4 code? The stat changes were just an attempt to even the playability of the races but the skill changes make a difference in gameplay.
Old October 23, 2011, 07:54   #15
Magnate
Angband Devteam member

Magnate is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Magnate Send a message via Yahoo to Magnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Boy View Post
I have tried a few games with the new edit files and I think it works well. The lower starting skills are actually noticeable with some characters, like disarming with a half-orc warrior, and I think make things better. Disarming a trap is a small tactical decision rather than free xp.

One other thing I wanted to mention is that I think the incremental values for skills should be halved and added every 5 levels instead of 10, this would provide a smoother growth curve for characters. Perhaps at least the skill changes could be added into the new v4 code? The stat changes were just an attempt to even the playability of the races but the skill changes make a difference in gameplay.
I've linked to this thread from ticket #1298 (our "update races" ticket) - we'll definitely use some or all of these ideas in v4. I'll check with d_m before putting them in, because I know he had distinct ideas about what to do with races.