Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old January 29, 2019, 01:39   #101
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
They're similar, granted, but the wereworm has over twice the HP and an experience-draining attack, making it a lot less pleasant to melee. I guess you could buff the purple worm, but giving it either experience drain or some other unpleasant ability like disenchant or charges drain seems kind of inappropriate for a natural monstrosity. The most unpleasant melee abilities are all undead-themed.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2019, 01:48   #102
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
They're similar, granted, but the wereworm has over twice the HP and an experience-draining attack, making it a lot less pleasant to melee. I guess you could buff the purple worm, but giving it either experience drain or some other unpleasant ability like disenchant or charges drain seems kind of inappropriate for a natural monstrosity. The most unpleasant melee abilities are all undead-themed.
Yes, points taken. I was actually wondering whether wereworms as I had made them were going to become a monster that required the player to leave the level...

Maybe a better move is to put wereworms back where they were, and push the purple worms deeper and make them breed. Thoughts?
Old January 29, 2019, 02:01   #103
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
The Purple Worm is a D&D monster, albeit one of the more obscure ones. It's basically a Dune-style sandworm. I've never been particularly attached to it, but if you want a nasty deep breeder, it'd feel a little odd to repurpose the Purple Worm to that end without renaming it in the process. It'd be a bit like claiming that, say, Owlbears are known for their lightning breath: people who know the source material would be quirking eyebrows left and right.

But yeah, if you want to ditch one of the two high-level worms in favor of a breeder, I'd rather see the purple worm go than the wereworm.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2019, 03:16   #104
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

On a general note, a couple of things that I've meant to mention about this branch and haven't got around to.

Tiles: I have been pretty lazy with this. Renamed monsters have kept their same tiles, but new monsters have typically either got the (possibly not very appropriate) tile of a removed monster, or not got a tile at all. I would be grateful for any suggestions of better tile allocation.

Group behaviour: I have said this before (in the post about the first build), but it bears repeating:
Quote:
If a group monster is awake, they may wake other monsters in their group that they can see.
This is possibly the change with the greatest effect, as it considerably nerfs the playstyle that revolved around high stealth and picking off members of a sleeping group one by one. That strategy is still partly viable, but if you're not killing the monsters pretty quickly they're likely to wake their group.
Old January 29, 2019, 03:46   #105
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
[*]Copying monster.txt to lore.txt works again
This is working again. Thanks! Off to explore more of the dungeon, kill monsters and die a horrible death!
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2019, 06:04   #106
mrfy
Adept

mrfy is on a distinguished road
I was able to drop some damaged armour in the Armoury, a Hard Leather Cap [2, -2], which they now have for sale for 6 gold, same as a regular Hard Leather Cap [2, +0]. More interestingly, they now have a Wicker Shield [2, -1] for 4 gold but 39 Wicker Shields [2, +0] are only 1 gold each. A Pair of Leather Sandals [1, -1] is 4 gold but 16 Pairs of Leather Sandals [1, +0] are 1 gold each. Of course selling is disabled (as it should be).
mrfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2019, 08:34   #107
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tiles: I have been pretty lazy with this. Renamed monsters have kept their same tiles, but new monsters have typically either got the (possibly not very appropriate) tile of a removed monster, or not got a tile at all. I would be grateful for any suggestions of better tile allocation.
That's why I tend to change monsters really sparsely in my variant because tile allocation is a sandcastle that will crumble each time a single change is made. Basically every tile is taken and there are none for more mobs or different mobs.
Old January 29, 2019, 10:12   #108
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
That's why I tend to change monsters really sparsely in my variant because tile allocation is a sandcastle that will crumble each time a single change is made. Basically every tile is taken and there are none for more mobs or different mobs.
Yes, indeed. My position is that I'm constrained by tiles, but I refuse to be constrained by tiles...
Old January 29, 2019, 10:32   #109
tangar
Knight

tangar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yes, indeed. My position is that I'm constrained by tiles, but I refuse to be constrained by tiles...
From now on we have Shtukensia. She is an artist and coming into tiles field right now Right now (literally) she is working at new passable rubble tile (and also hunger trap for Angband Online).

The only problem - it's super hard to support so much tilesets. Maybe it's time to choose one _official_ tileset and leave others for community.

There are two main tilesets: Shockbolt and Gervais. I myself prefer Gervais, because Shockbolt is kinda heterogeneous (some tiles are sharp, some are blurry) and it's hard to remember monsters there. So for Angband Online we would work only at Gervais tileset.. But as I see, Shockbolt's tileset got plenty of Gervais tiles, so new tiles could be ported there too.

Nick, is there a list of monsters/objects which Angband needs to draw? I saw only rubble @ trac.. And also - where to post new tile's pictures (cause I didn't find 'registration' @ trac).

Last edited by tangar; January 29, 2019 at 10:40.
tangar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2019, 10:45   #110
Thraalbee
Knight

Thraalbee is on a distinguished road
Crash bug

Fighting Maeglin I get repeated crashes without info but at different places. Finally got one with this info: Error. Bad group index: group: 92, monster: 91
Have a save of entire lib catalog if you want more

[EDIT] Restarting and killing him again, now I got Bad group index: group: 92, monster: 90
[EDIT] But mostly it just crashes without info when Maeglin dies

[Version angband-4.1.3-300-g9ce38b40e]

[EDIT2] Later when I met him again, he died without a crash.

Last edited by Thraalbee; January 29, 2019 at 11:49.
Thraalbee is offline   Reply With Quote