Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old May 11, 2011, 21:34   #41
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
I've just got an idea how to make traps more fun without changing the underlying system too much. I'm not going to talk about it yet, as it ties nicely into my super secret plans for a future version.

A hint: I'm going to give players one or a couple of uses of detect traps each dungeon level.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 21:40   #42
jevansau
Adept

jevansau is on a distinguished road
Another small bug report - the known artifact list under ~ shows the wrong artifacts.
jevansau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 11:30   #43
jevansau
Adept

jevansau is on a distinguished road
And a bug with the artifact spellbooks:
The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom (in Inventory) is really the Necronomicon when used, and Mathemagical calculations is really the codex of ultimate Wisdom.
jevansau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011, 13:32   #44
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Thanks for reporting, again!

I just finished a big work-related project, and looks like I'm now able to relax by fixing Fay bugs.
Old May 31, 2011, 13:59   #45
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Admittedly I haven't overly-searched for secret doors, but I think I should have found some sort of staircase by now. I completely mapped out all the obvious areas of this huge level. I seem to be stuck. Save file attached.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 104 - 1.zip (8.6 KB, 90 views)
Old May 31, 2011, 20:29   #46
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Admittedly I haven't overly-searched for secret doors, but I think I should have found some sort of staircase by now. I completely mapped out all the obvious areas of this huge level. I seem to be stuck. Save file attached.
I found a down staircase, it's near the lower right corner. Staircases are now rarer, and may be hard to find on huge levels.

I've now fixed most of the bugs. I still want to finish adding a new feature that addresses the problem with traps in vaults before I release the next version.
Old June 2, 2011, 05:25   #47
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
After having played several characters (mostly the comp character) to lowish level untimely demises, here are my thoughts. I like this game. No obvious bugs. No crashes so far, though upon upon one of my reloads all text was absent from the window (blank screen) until I (re)selected a font.

The limited availability of stairs make it much more challenging that one would at first think. I think that most variants could benefit from a little of this, maybe not to the extreme that Fay takes it to. As soon as I start to get comfortable with my character, something pops up and smacks me down hard. I die. I die early. I die frequently but without feeling unduly set upon and with my best survival skills being used.

Here's a few things I noticed that you may or may not want to fix.

There's no item, or monster list [ ]. I miss these.
There's no 32x32 tile support. Miss my tiles too.
Detecting weapons/armours also ID's them from afar. I'd like to not know that the short bow is cursed until I actually walk over to it.
Area of detection spells is based on screen/font size rather than a standardized detection radius.
There is an irregular capitalization in the first shaman spellbook (forgot the spell name, but it's obvious).
The spell name "Cleanse Taint". Well that's freakin' awesome.

I know that a lot of this is probably legacy stuff held over from Ey. I'm really enjoying (hating) the diseased status. It's very much along the lines of revisited poisoning which I was working on a while ago (then shelved indefinitely), which you've actually managed to balance very well by simply removing the poison (HP drain) aspect of it. Was this an Ey feature or something new?

In any case, thanks for this variant. The sparsely furnished dungeons, killer critters and ASCII graphics remind me a little of Steam, and that's a good thing.
Old June 2, 2011, 20:17   #48
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad you like the game.

Quote:
There's no item, or monster list [ ]. I miss these.
Try pressing |. Eytan moved all knowledge screens there.

Quote:
Detecting weapons/armours also ID's them from afar. I'd like to not know that the short bow is cursed until I actually walk over to it.
Yeah, that would be better. I think I'm too lazy to fix this, though.

Quote:
Area of detection spells is based on screen/font size rather than a standardized detection radius.
Fixed in the next version. I've been examining how the new Vanilla and Oangand do this. Detection radius is going to work somewhat differently in Fay.

Quote:
I know that a lot of this is probably legacy stuff held over from Ey. I'm really enjoying (hating) the diseased status. It's very much along the lines of revisited poisoning which I was working on a while ago (then shelved indefinitely), which you've actually managed to balance very well by simply removing the poison (HP drain) aspect of it. Was this an Ey feature or something new?
This is from Ey. But it's more dangerous in Fay, because getting to town is sometimes very hard.
Old June 6, 2011, 00:15   #49
Matthias
Adept

Matthias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matthias
Possible bug: Phlogiston does appear to not work on ego lanterns
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2011, 06:43   #50
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
Possible bug: Phlogiston does appear to not work on ego lanterns
It's a known bug. Fixed in the next version.