Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Competition

Old June 9, 2011, 16:36   #21
ewan
Adept

ewan is on a distinguished road
Thanks, Darin -

- that works. Looks as though only one savefile is possible at a time, which is interesting, but at least now - as you say - I can die..
ewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 07:13   #22
Philip
Knight

Philip is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewan View Post
Looks as though only one savefile is possible at a time, which is interesting.
Incorrect. There is no facility for multiple savegames but there is a workaround. Create a new folder and put a save you don't want to play now, but is alive in it and create a new game. The folder is best put in the save directory.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 08:28   #23
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
I got one more insight out of this competition.

Low-level heavy (17+ lbs) weapons should probably cause more damage. (You can never get more than 1 blow with a weapon that weighs 17 lbs or more.) I want ultra-strong but clumsy characters to be playable!
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 08:43   #24
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Incorrect. There is no facility for multiple savegames but there is a workaround. Create a new folder and put a save you don't want to play now, but is alive in it and create a new game. The folder is best put in the save directory.
Incorrect
  1. Open a terminal
  2. cd into the FayAngband directory
  3. ./angband -u<whatever>

will use the <whatever> savefile.
Old June 10, 2011, 13:42   #25
Darin
Apprentice

Darin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Incorrect
  1. Open a terminal
  2. cd into the FayAngband directory
  3. ./angband -u<whatever>

will use the <whatever> savefile.
Actually I tried that. When I type ./angband -u104 with the file "104" in the save directory the game says the savefile doesn't exist and prompts me for a new character.
Darin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 15:15   #26
Max Stats
Swordsman

Max Stats is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post
Actually I tried that. When I type ./angband -u104 with the file "104" in the save directory the game says the savefile doesn't exist and prompts me for a new character.
It depends on how savefile names are formatted on your system. In Linux, the format is [UID].[Username] where UID is the user identity of the user account running the game, and Username is the name under which you are playing (which can be different from the character name; it defaults to your login name). In Windows, I think the name is just the user name, with a default of 'Player'. What you should do is start a new character, save+exit, then look in your save directory at the name of your savefile. Now, rename this game file similarly, substituting the username from your test character with the username you want to use (e.g., if the test savefile is named 1000.Bob and you want to play this game under the name Joe, rename it 1000.Joe and run the game with 'angband -uJoe').
Max Stats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 15:30   #27
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Stats View Post
In Windows, I think the name is just the user name, with a default of 'Player'.
Windows uses character name for savefile.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 19:10   #28
Matthias
Adept

Matthias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matthias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
I got one more insight out of this competition.

Low-level heavy (17+ lbs) weapons should probably cause more damage. (You can never get more than 1 blow with a weapon that weighs 17 lbs or more.) I want ultra-strong but clumsy characters to be playable!
Wait does that extra blow for Shamans using blunt not apply to very heavy weapons?
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 20:09   #29
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
Wait does that extra blow for Shamans using blunt not apply to very heavy weapons?
Yep, that's right. In EyAngband the number of blows is based on Dexterity, but every weapon has a maximum number of blows, based on its weight. Very light weapons may get up to 7 blows, while very heavy weapons never get more than one.

Warriors and Shamans have a slightly more beneficial weapon weight/max blows table than other characters. In Fay, I've adjusted their bonuses a little to make medium-heavy weapons more attractive to them.

Actually Shamans get better blows with sharp weapons, too. But they won't get critical hits with them, and spellcasting will suffer.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2011, 22:41   #30
Matthias
Adept

Matthias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matthias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Lehtinen View Post
Actually Shamans get better blows with sharp weapons, too. But they won't get critical hits with them, and spellcasting will suffer.
Did a little bit of codediving to better understand what's going on and help me in my future weapon choice... Correct me if I missed something
This is a the max blows array and I added another one that I calculated by shifting the first 12 by 1, and the rest by 2

Code:
byte weapon_wgt_blows[30] = { 7,7,6,6,5,5,4,4,3,3,2,2,2,2,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 };
byte simulatio_shaman[30] = { 7,7,7,6,6,5,5,4,4,3,3,2,2,2,2,2,2,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1 };
The two big ones are 10lbs where warrios and shamans get 3 blows instead of 2, and 15,16 lbs where they get two instead of one. The depth 95 katata weights 10lbs so the first gap is a huge improvement. Any brand or slay evil diamond katana: 3*2*2d96. Can I have one please. Any normal brand katana would still do 360 damage. There are no blunt 10lb endgame weapons so the competition character should propably look out for a katana anyways. For midgame there is also the depth 30 10lb ball-and-chain.

Now the other gap, at 15, 16lbs looks even better at first with twice the blows... but the problem is that there are no weapons at 15, and only a 2d7 at 16 lbs. So medium-heavy weapons are more attractive but they almost don't exist unless you find one of the heavy weapons with the right -weight prefix like a gripli bec de faucon 2*4d37. Doesn't beat a no prefix katana and is most likely a lot harder to find.

Also noticed this while looking at the object file, should probably be 95 instead of 5
N:501:& Executioner's Sword~
W:5:0:250:50000
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote