AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old June 20, 2011, 07:16   #71
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Mikko Lehtinen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
I'm not so sure they actually are disabled any more. At least OAngband levels seem a lot larger than what Star has to deal with.

The option that I was wondering about is this one: All levels will be generated as small : yes (birth_force_small_lev). Is this one supposed to be on in your standart settings?
Yes! And it is, try starting a game without a savefile.
Mikko Lehtinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2011, 09:08   #72
Matthias
Adept

Matthias is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Matthias
Then you should really think twice about any nerf you do. I don't think anyone would have gotten far with star with every level having like 5 rooms maximum
Matthias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2011, 10:31   #73
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
Then you should really think twice about any nerf you do. I don't think anyone would have gotten far with star with every level having like 5 rooms maximum
"Small levels only" sometimes generates huge levels. I'd say five-room levels are quite rare. Usually the levels are somewhere between these two ends.

Happily, most of the changes I have in mind will make the game easier for the player. And Star in version 1.0 is clearly a sub-optimal character. Normally starting Shamans have twice the melee damage.

For me, the early game works very well with small levels. It's very quick to descend, and not too hard. My characters tend to survive quite easily to dungeon level 20, always diving two levels at time. After that it gets more difficult.

I haven't done much playtesting at deeper levels, but it's very possible that Fay gets impossibly hard. (Jevansau reported earlier in this thread that he got a mage below level 50. He got annoyed with traps in vaults, not the general difficulty level.)

If the game gets too hard in the depths, one solution would be to slowly increase the level size as you get deeper.
Old June 20, 2011, 11:10   #74
Mikko Lehtinen
Veteran

I actually enjoy the increased risk level and the constant threat of dying in Fay. But constantly starting again may grow old.

I had an idea about a new skill, Divine Favor, based on race, class, level, Wisdom, and Charisma.

It would function as the one last saving throw upon dying. If you succeed, a holy presence saves you and lifts you up to the town. For each save, your Divine Favor skill would get reduced permanently.