AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old July 6, 2014, 20:57   #171
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by debo View Post
No idea. 'Boring' is probably the last adjective anyone would use to describe this game, though.
Infuriating, stupid, unfair, difficult, fun, "fun," AUHGHHGASDGAKHADGKH, rage-inducing, YASD, unhealthy blood pressure, etc all come way before "boring" or "too balanced"

Last edited by krazyhades; July 6, 2014 at 21:04.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014, 21:00   #172
HugoTheGreat2011
Veteran

HugoTheGreat2011 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Pietilš View Post
Which version of zangband? It evolved a lot during its time, and later versions of it tend to be rather boring (too "balanced").
PosChengband's interface is based on Zangband up to 2.4.0, when it used to have only 4 towns and before the Z-development revamped the wilderness.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other
HugoTheGreat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014, 01:20   #173
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Also before they went to O-style combat. From what little I've played of PosCheng (lack of Mac ports!) there's a lot of the ZAngband 2.3...5? days here.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 01:10   #174
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Half troll mage in his teens. Detected everything before walking around, but detect traps must have fizzled; so I step on a summoning trap, surrounded by various things, among them a dark knight, Bullroarer and a wyvern. Exacrtly 0 hp, and poisoned. Teleportation not an option, so I drink ccw which is not enough as expected. RIP.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 02:06   #175
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
Wow, 0HP and poisoned with monsters next to you. That's an unpleasant combination.

For detect traps, at least in Vanilla the last several versions generate a border of green tiles that marks the edge of trap detection, and which halts running when you pass over it. It's a helpful reminder that you're stepping out into the unknown, so to speak.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 02:49   #176
Estie
Veteran

Estie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
Wow, 0HP and poisoned with monsters next to you. That's an unpleasant combination.

For detect traps, at least in Vanilla the last several versions generate a border of green tiles that marks the edge of trap detection, and which halts running when you pass over it. It's a helpful reminder that you're stepping out into the unknown, so to speak.
I am aware; theres also the text telling you wether your current square is detected or not. I take a calculated risk with det traps to keep the game fluent. I cast everyhing and dont bother to verify if it has actually triggered or fizzled; very rarely a combination of fizzle + nasty thing (undetected trap or monster) will kill me, but it means I have a fast game otherwise and am not stuttered down.
Estie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 07:52   #177
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estie View Post
I am aware; theres also the text telling you wether your current square is detected or not. I take a calculated risk with det traps to keep the game fluent. I cast everyhing and dont bother to verify if it has actually triggered or fizzled; very rarely a combination of fizzle + nasty thing (undetected trap or monster) will kill me, but it means I have a fast game otherwise and am not stuttered down.
I do keymaps for detections. F5 and F6 are for detect monsters and detect traps/doors. If it fails it's just matter of hitting that key again.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 08:17   #178
Remuz
Apprentice

Remuz is on a distinguished road
I found traps in vanilla to be relatively harmless, save for the off summonning rune.
I grew accustomed to tome2 traps, which could insta-kill you, so I kept the habit of detecting everything, all the time.
Still, with my last winning character, I didn't even bother to disarm traps on chests (too lazy to hit that extra shift key for shift+D). it cost me a few teleports to get away from nasties summoned in the open, but that's about it.

I am not trying that with my priest, though. Just in case.
Remuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014, 12:44   #179
PowerWyrm
Prophet

PowerWyrm is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remuz View Post
I found traps in vanilla to be relatively harmless, save for the off summonning rune.
Until detection reveals a Power Dragon Scale Mail and moments later you fall through a trap door that you forgot to detect...
Old July 23, 2014, 17:12   #180
Raajaton
Swordsman

Raajaton is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerWyrm View Post
Until detection reveals a Power Dragon Scale Mail and moments later you fall through a trap door that you forgot to detect...
That's actually happened to me before. I think I may have been fighting Harowen and saw the PDSM on the ground nearby. I never re-cast trap detection during the course of the fight, and stumbled on to the trap door. Was pretty mad.
Raajaton is offline   Reply With Quote