AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > AAR

Old June 18, 2011, 12:26   #1
Remuz
Apprentice

Remuz is on a distinguished road
[V 3.2.0] Hyathlos, your common dwarf priest

Hi everyone,

Since I started playing again after a long hiatus, I figured I would need to learn everything again, partly because the game changed, and partly because, well, I forgot how to play.

So, I figured out I would start with a common, if dull, character. The problem is, I have no idea what the gameplay should be like. Right now, I am not using any launcher, nor any melee. I basically OoD everything to death, which is fine so far. It does not do a lot of damage, but my (I think) pretty good AC allows me to get meleed without any problem at all.

No close call so far, should I dive or not? My stats are far from maxed, I could use a few more levels (for HP mainly), I lack some resistances, and my permanent speed of +5 means that a quick opponent can double-move on me. On the other hand, nothing seems really dangerous, and when I expect trouble, 0% fail heal and teleport other is enough to avoid problems.

Well, here it is, comments more than welcome:
http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=11463

Thanks!

Edit: Just made an interesting find: a =oSpeed +5 in a small vault. The trouble is, I do not dare swapping out those rings of rPoison and Con+5 for it. Other good news are, my constitution is now maxed, and I found a nice bow with +2 Con, that gets me to the wooping 741 hp. Removing that ring of constitution +5 gets me to 570 hp. Should I aim for more HP or more speed?

Last edited by Remuz; June 18, 2011 at 13:14.
Remuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2011, 17:03   #2
buzzkill
Prophet

Donated: $8
buzzkill is on a distinguished road
Speed +5 (at +5) trumps rPoison in my book, even at DL50. Then again Stealth +5 probably would also. I'm not a big believer in resists.
Old June 18, 2011, 20:07   #3
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzkill View Post
Speed +5 (at +5) trumps rPoison in my book, even at DL50. Then again Stealth +5 probably would also. I'm not a big believer in resists.
In his case +5 speed trumps +5 CON, I think. That +5 is crucial in preventing double-moves, because it puts him at +10 speed. 18/210 -> 18/160. It hurts, but you need that speed. Poison can kill, so I wouldn't abandon it quite yet.

Maybe if you roam very carefully and use potions of resist poison you can manage to fight/avoid AMHD:s and Drolems, but I wouldn't trust the running preventing you from entering bad places.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2011, 22:17   #4
Remuz
Apprentice

Thanks for the answers. I am definitely not patient enough to go with no rPoison, so I will go with(out) the =oCon instead.

What about diving speed? Am I right at the right depth? Should I dive faster, slower?
Old June 18, 2011, 23:35   #5
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remuz View Post
What about diving speed? Am I right at the right depth? Should I dive faster, slower?
That's up to you. Do you feel bored? Scared? Confident?

You can be deeper, but it is not requirement, if you feel OK then you are at the right depth. Dive if you start to think that you can handle anything: overconfidence is probably the worst killer in the angband, boredom is another. It is better to feel a bit...paranoid might be the right word, than feel that no matter what you find around next corner will be piece of cake.

There are several players here that can win <1M turns, so for them your pace is snails pace, but I for one don't care about turns, I just play the game.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2011, 20:32   #6
Remuz
Apprentice

Hi!

This character is still alive, I have update the dump here : http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=11463

Now, the problem I face is that I have too many artifacts to choose from, and my home and inventory are full... Could you help me?

Basically, I find my gear is ok, but lacks in many areas : +24 speed, lacking some high resists, and constitution not maxed. Also, I wish I could use a better weapon, as killing things with orb of draining is becoming slower and slower. By the way, what is the "regular" way of killing things in the late game for a priest? Launcher? Melee? Spells?

Thanks in advance for your advices!
Old July 4, 2011, 21:15   #7
bulian
Adept

bulian is on a distinguished road
Melee is the way to go. Priest healing offsets your lower damage. Glaive of Pain plus a branding ring (acid) and you'll be doing ~500 damage per round. Look for something with slay evil for Morgoth.

Switch out Amrod for Amras, lose Carlammas and find "Trickery. Then ditch Barahir for a branding ring. Also, Thranduil gives ESP so if you find a cloak, particularly one with speed, ditch your magi cloak.

Throwing out belthronding was a mistake, as rDis is difficult to find. Pick of erebor actually would have been an improvement over what you have as well due to the nice con, acid brand, and strength bonuses. Oh well.

You can get rid of all your current weapons except glaive of pain, umbar and taratol. Carry taratol as a swap. Stash your better potions (*Heal* and heal) and ?banish in your house so they don't get destroyed. You'll want these consumables for the Morgoth fight.
bulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2011, 21:37   #8
Remuz
Apprentice

Thanks for your reply, that helps immensely. The only problem with your advice, is that my wisdom goes down so that I am at 1% failure rate. I tried to play that way, but I definitely am not comfortable with that... so until I find a way to up my WIS by other means, I am stuck with a crappy weapon, it seems.

Edit: While farming a Greater Draconic Q, found the boots of Feanor. As far as I know, this is a very rare find. Wearing them, I am at +33 speed unhasted... is that a reason good enough for me to drop either the ring of speed or armor +10, to try to fit both enough WIS and a ring of acid?

Edit2: Does not seem to be doable, I would need to have a body armor that would grant me +WIS and rPoison to be able to do so. Oh well.

Last edited by Remuz; July 5, 2011 at 22:03.
Old July 7, 2011, 08:24   #9
Pete Mack
Prophet

Donated: $40
Pete Mack is on a distinguished road
You can always carry a swap (e.g. =Acid, =Pois). Glaive of Pain + =Acid is a real gamechanger.
Pete Mack is offline   Reply With Quote