Angband.oook.cz
Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Variants

Old January 28, 2020, 00:44   #11
CyclopsSlayer
Swordsman

CyclopsSlayer is on a distinguished road
I guess it comes down to how much variance is allowed and it still be a roguelike.
Just dropping turn-based could allow many/most MMOs to be a Roguelike.

Even top-down view hasn't been a limiter in ages with several offering isometric tile views.

A purist could argue that Nethack, Angband, Moria aren't 'roguelikes' as they add so much that wasn't in Rogue. 'Reductio ad Absurdum'
CyclopsSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2020, 03:19   #12
budswell
Apprentice

budswell is on a distinguished road
Always thought the best/most-interesting world was Zangband/Z+
Overland world was randomly generated, including random towns, dungeons, and surface "camps". All random towns had random quests (usually dungeon clearing or deliver message to another town - maybe others, been years since I played).
Dungeons and camps were denoted with numbers, giving a hint as to how dangerous they were.
Some dungeons were themed (hated the one I had in one game which was mostly hounds).

Tome2 was the one that got me back into 'bands after a few decades off. No random world but the character system was very new to me, so much more variation. Not sure if AnonymousHero is still updating/maintaining it.

These days I play pos/frog/comp the most, just started trying the new pos.
budswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2020, 00:13   #13
EpicMan
Swordsman

EpicMan is on a distinguished road
Portralis has a pretty involved (for a Roguelike or 'Band) quest system with NPCs to talk to, a few branching choices, maps that change based on the quest status.
EpicMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2020, 23:26   #14
Aszazin
Scout

Aszazin is on a distinguished road
I think a RL should not be a topdown tile or ascii dungeon crawler. It just happens rogue was designed on computers with no graphical possibilities.

For me to be called a roguelike:
-Death means dying and the end, start again
-Levels need to be generated, not designed
-The game may not be too easy to finish (actually, the game should be hard to finish, up to impossible) -> dying might happen any moment between the early and the late game.
-Difficulty builds up when you go deeper/further into the game
-Items/equipment (in some way) play an important role
-you have to deal with lots of enemies in various forms

I think a game like City of Brass may count as a 1st-person 3D rogue-like.

I think the term rogue-like should not be confused with the term rogue-variation, or angband variant.
Aszazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2020, 02:23   #15
werecobalt
Rookie

werecobalt is on a distinguished road
ADOM: quests that have significant effect on mid and late game, interesting dungeon(ice, fire, underwater)
Omega: can join guild, attend college, become paladin and rob bank, interesting interface
CataclysmDDA: some quest lines one of which ends up establishing a post-apocalyptic settlement, has probably the most numerous terrain features in any RL

However, all above are not actually as interesting as they might look once you play it for a dozen of hours.

For the difference among the poschengs, there are many but here are what I can recall: the new poschengband has unique features but i haven't played much yet, frogcomposband has igor, composband has hexblade.
werecobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2020, 12:59   #16
caruso
Adept

caruso is on a distinguished road
  • Demon - You ascend a mysterious tower, fighting, capturing or befriending demons along the way. It necessarily features an advanced AI, because you will have to fight alongside your demon allies. Tile graphics only.
  • Incursion - I only scratched the surface, but the dungeon genaration seems to be similar to UnAngband
I think the only roguelike that fulfils all criteria is ToME 4, but the detailed statistics put me off.
caruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2020, 20:52   #17
DavidMedley
Knight

DavidMedley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
sil smiths fail the "do you spend most of your time on a non-modal screen slaying monsters...". Most of your time is spent staring vacantly at the smithing menu.
This is me
DavidMedley is offline   Reply With Quote