Angband.oook.cz
AboutVariantsLadderForumCompetitionComicScreenshotsFunniesLinks

Go Back   Angband Forums > Angband > Vanilla

Old April 6, 2014, 00:23   #11
Nick
Vanilla maintainer

Donated: $60
Nick will become famous soon enough
Themed drops are something I want to be really careful not to overdo. I certainly don't want the situation you see in some MMOs, where it's only a particular monster type that drops a particular awesome suit of armour, and so the obvious thing to do is go and farm a billion of those monsters.
Old April 6, 2014, 00:42   #12
Derakon
Prophet

Derakon is on a distinguished road
My general take on this is that it's fine for some monsters to be biased towards certain classes of drops, like archers being more likely to drop ammo (of all types, not just arrows), or casters being more likely to drop spellbooks (both arcane and holy). But most monsters should not have any particular bias, and all items ought to be droppable by anything (or rather, by anything that has a drop to begin with).

Drop biases should be mostly for flavor, in other words. "Oh, yeah, that makes sense" kind of thing.
Derakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014, 02:28   #13
tynan
Rookie

tynan is on a distinguished road
Well, obviously Artifacts should be able to drop from anything that can drop items, as now. That should not change (perhaps the depths they can be dropped needs to be tweaked some more though). A character should never be able to find the Arkenstone at a thousand feet, for example.
tynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014, 03:00   #14
Derakon
Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tynan View Post
A character should never be able to find the Arkenstone at a thousand feet, for example.
Why not? I mean, it shouldn't be likely, but a huge part of roguelikes is the possibility that anything could show up anywhere. It should be theoretically possible to generate the One Ring on the floor of 50', even if the odds of it happening are trillions to one against.
Old April 6, 2014, 03:44   #15
krazyhades
Swordsman

krazyhades is on a distinguished road
Yes please.
krazyhades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014, 08:03   #16
Carnivean
Knight

Carnivean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derakon View Post
My general take on this is that it's fine for some monsters to be biased towards certain classes of drops, like archers being more likely to drop ammo (of all types, not just arrows), or casters being more likely to drop spellbooks (both arcane and holy). But most monsters should not have any particular bias, and all items ought to be droppable by anything (or rather, by anything that has a drop to begin with).

Drop biases should be mostly for flavor, in other words. "Oh, yeah, that makes sense" kind of thing.
I look at drops and think that we get the characters tools of trade (arrows for archers, books from mages) or supplies (potions and scrolls and food) unless we damaged them in the fight, or the monster was running low on supplies, but they might also be carrying a treasure item or many treasure items, that they found and carry with them. Thus you'd have 2 different rolls for item drops. First roll for the mundane drop, and the second for the potentially good drop.

Note that treasure to a monster doesn't mean treasure to the player. They could be carrying around a skeleton as a treasure.
Carnivean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014, 09:06   #17
Timo Pietilš
Prophet

Timo Pietilš is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think themed drop should go over the normal drop and be something quite mundane, but usually useful. Like priests dropping C*W potions, archer monsters dropping normal ammo, mages town spellbooks. Not always, but with probability. If you don't need those at the moment squelch them.
Timo Pietilš is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014, 10:07   #18
Zireael
Adept

Zireael is on a distinguished road
Quote:

That's a great idea!
Zireael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014, 22:05   #19
tynan
Rookie

tynan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
My general take on this is that it's fine for some monsters to be biased towards certain classes of drops, like archers being more likely to drop ammo (of all types, not just arrows)
Actually, if an archer is able to shoot arrows at you ("The Kobold Archer fires an arrow..."), then some kind of arrow-firing missile weapon should always drop, 100% of the time. However, most of the time they will be mundane.
Ammo should be more random, however, and not guaranteed by any means. After all, that last arrow fired from their bow might have been the last one, so by the time you did kill them, they would only drop the bow-type weapon with no ammo.
Actually, this brings up another potential point: why is the player character the only entity in the game that actually fires physical arrows that can land on the floor?
tynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014, 22:22   #20
Derakon
Prophet

Because otherwise there'd be too much junk. Same reason why we don't have orcs dropping their armor and weapon every time even though we assume they aren't traipsing through the dungeon starkers.